Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

... But the main point I got out of it was at the end.  His opinion that Sprint will be sold off in bits eventually if the merger fails.   Again, his opinion.   

This [emoji115] is what I have been saying for the past couple of years!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Yeah, I found his comments to be kind of sharp and pointed.   But the main point I got out of it was at the end.  His opinion that Sprint will be sold off in bits eventually if the merger fails.   Again, his opinion.   

That's very likely to happen, Sprint cannot get past their negative image it's only a matter of time unfortunately, this is why I look forward to the merger.

Yeah, I've been saying that for a long time.   The strong will get stronger and the weak... well, you know what happens.    When and if this merger actually happens, I will celebrate.   It can only mean better coverage and faster speeds for me where I live.   With 600, 700, 800 (leaseback) 1700, 2100 and 2500Mhz all available will make it unbeatable.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Yeah, I've been saying that for a long time.   The strong will get stronger and the weak... well, you know what happens.    When and if this merger actually happens, I will celebrate.   It can only mean better coverage and faster speeds for me where I live.   With 600, 700, 800 (leaseback) 1700, 2100 and 2500Mhz all available will make it unbeatable.  

That's what I'm waiting for.  A network with that combined spectrum.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Also, you forgot about 1900 (PCS).  :-)

• Like 2

So, here I've been planning to switch over to MintSim if the merger goes through once my phone gets updated.  That is, if I jump off the New-TMobile.

However... TMobile's claim that 99% of the population is now covered, maybe if you are a few hundred feet above tree level? Where I live and where I go, TMobile is a distant fourth place compared to Sprint+Roaming even before TMobile roaming.  TMobile roaming has been more an annoyance really as their performance and coverage is subpar to the regional carrier. 

Sprint is already chopping VZW roaming.  I imagine the new Tmobile will kill all of Sprint's roaming. It'll be time to switch to ATT/VZW MVNO 😕 

Edited by red_dog007

16 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Sprint is already chopping VZW roaming.  I imagine the new Tmobile will kill all of Sprint's roaming. It'll be time to switch to ATT/VZW MVNO 😕 

While it is certainly true that Sprint is using less Verizon roaming, I think that is more of a function of using more T-Mobile and AT&T plus Verizon eliminating CDMA equipment from sites.

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

While it is certainly true that Sprint is using less Verizon roaming, I think that is more of a function of using more T-Mobile and AT&T plus Verizon eliminating CDMA equipment from sites.

Some of the areas I visit was VZW only, and with the latest coverage map update, it appears that service may not exist now or very soon.  I haven't verified yet, but it is a concern. 

It isn't a huge concern right now because of the other roaming agreements (not including TMobile).  But once TMobile takes over, if roaming goes away, that is a huge hit on my coverage of areas I actually go. 

Only a hit now... but if the merger goes thru, then you may be able to obtain more of their network on one of their phones...etc.    T Mo claims to have over 330 million pops covered...Way more than Sprint.   Can't believe you won't have a better signal.     I'm sure your current Sprint phone is not optimized to use a T Mo signal... not yet at least. 

2 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Some of the areas I visit was VZW only, and with the latest coverage map update, it appears that service may not exist now or very soon.  I haven't verified yet, but it is a concern. 

Yes, there are areas like that in the greater Puget Sound area, too. I've verified that there is no longer roaming coverage along several highways which are serviced exclusively by Verizon.

From Market Realist News:

Sprint (S) is set to release its second-quarter earnings results on November 4 before the market bell. The company’s second quarter ended on September 30. It won’t host a conference call with analysts after releasing its earnings results. 

Odd!   this is the second time Sprint will not do a live Earnings call.    This just says (to me) the news will not be very good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dro1984 said:

From Market Realist News:

Sprint (S) is set to release its second-quarter earnings results on November 4 before the market bell. The company’s second quarter ended on September 30. It won’t host a conference call with analysts after releasing its earnings results. 

Odd!   this is the second time Sprint will not do a live Earnings call.    This just says (to me) the news will not be very good.  

I have been an auditor on several engagements where the auditee was in a M&A takeover or purchase and did not do a call. They only provided guidance. In my experience, it is not uncommon but those were low fortune 1000 companies, not a top 200 company.

I think you may be reading into the move a little too much.

• Like 4

On 10/24/2019 at 4:17 PM, jefbal99 said:

Pixel 4xl in West Michigan, TMobile connections are not showing as roaming

On 10/24/2019 at 9:20 PM, jefbal99 said:

On 10/24/2019 at 11:46 PM, superbluepsd said:

Tmo native roaming has been a thing for a long time now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On 10/25/2019 at 5:53 AM, jefbal99 said:

Previously on my pixel 2xl, anytime I was on TMobile, it showed a roaming indicator

Somewhat off topic... T-Mobile roaming is not seen as native by your phone, it is still roaming even though it is unlimited. Your roaming indicator comes from your 1x signal, which in your screenshot is still connected to Sprint, thus it shows as native.

• Like 2

Somewhat off topic... T-Mobile roaming is not seen as native by your phone, it is still roaming even though it is unlimited. Your roaming indicator comes from your 1x signal, which in your screenshot is still connected to Sprint, thus it shows as native.
If they can get a native 1X why can't they get a native Sprint LTE? No LTE on the site? Thought all Sprint sites had LTE by now.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

If they can get a native 1X why can't they get a native Sprint LTE? No LTE on the site? Thought all Sprint sites had LTE by now.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1x is usable much farther away from the site, and with more obstacles to the site. The first screenshot appears to be a good distance to the Sprint site. I have noticed my phone hangs onto the roaming signal for some time after getting back to a strong Sprint signal, which is what appears to be happening in the second image.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 1:52 PM, marioc21 said:

The fcc announced that it has officially approved the TMo/Sprint merger.  Order here...

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-approves-t-mobilesprint-transaction-conditions

Extremely disappointed that they did not include the appendices which are covered in the table of contents.  There is discussion of handset issues and areas where the new T-Mobile won't be able to retain all spectrum, but no details.

This is interesting:  https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/07/t-mobile-5g-network-december-6th/

I wonder what happens if the merger isn't finalized by Dec 6, since it says the launch is dependent on the merger going through.  Would it cover less people or the launch would be delayed?  Opinions?

Wait, they're launching it with "5G for Good" branding to build support for the merger, but won't launch it if the merger isn't closed by then?  What?  Those things seem like they're at odds with each other.

- Trip