Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

I think the entire review process is now a bunch of cr*p.   "Bonkers" as she put it?!  How dumb!    Not sure who is telling the truth or if anyone in DC even knows what that is anymore?  This whole process has been a circus!   Was / is there a "process" to review and approve?   If so, why wasn't it followed?   Why is it being revisited 5 times?!  No company has ever had to go through this... in this manner.   If you keep re-reviewing something, then no doubt, you WILL find something.   You've (certain FCC commissioners and certain DOJ officials) have been looking for something over and over to pick on with this merger and won't stop until it is found.    The official vote/doctrine should have been voted on way before and signed off and this whole thing should have been put to bed by now. 
They have had 1 1/2 years to review this!  Now she says they didn't see the documents and or are having a different order circulated through??   What the heck was going on there for 1 1/2 years?    
I know that I read this somewhere... One theory about the approvals taking so long is that but Verizon and AT&T would like to see Sprint, and eventually T-Mobile, go bankrupt and sold off to Verizon and AT&T. According to the theory, a lot of the government politicians have recieved campaign money from one of the Big Two [emoji3577], either Verizon or AT&T, and are trying to cater to their constitutants.

While I agree that the theory seems to be a bit far fetched, if the merger is blocked, I could see Sprint going bankrupt and the Sprint assets being sold off to Verizon and AT&T. And I can then see Verizon and AT&T aiming at getting rid of T-Mobile.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon and AT&T have given campaign money to politicians to ensure some favorable results.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Did they officially vote? I saw that they were ready but can't find any info on them officially voting. 
Yeah they did. In support of it

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

According to what I read, the  "Official" vote did not happen yet!  When the FCC found out last week about Sprint's supposed misuse of Lifeline funds, some at the FCC asked for a delay.    So if the story is true from Fiercewireless, then the official vote did not happen yet.

FCC must Pause T-Mobile Sprint review

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

Sprint's pilfering of Lifeline funds really did not help they case for this merger. I believe the merger will go through but I hope that Sprint has contingency plans in case that does not happen. It is now clear that the acquisition of Sprint by SoftBank was a disaster. Softbank was never interested in investing in Sprint. They always wanted to merge with T-Mobile. So what are the best options for Sprint?

1. Acquire Dish's wireless division and get acquired in turn by a consortium of Cable cos

2. Cable cos and sprint acquire the rest of EBS in rural areas and use that and CBRS to provide fixed wireless service/TV programming to rural areas

3. Cable cos become facilities based MVNO of Sprint 

4. Cable cos provide strand based and pole based 2.5 Ghz +CBRS based small cells

I have no idea what Sprint can do to survive on its own.

According to what I read, the  "Official" vote did not happen yet!  When the FCC found out last week about Sprint's supposed misuse of Lifeline funds, some at the FCC asked for a delay.    So if the story is true from Fiercewireless, then the official vote did not happen yet.

That article is from last week. This changed this week

14 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

That article is from last week. This changed this week

So yeah... do you have any web link or article to show this?   I've looked.   I didn't find anything.   Rather than plainly disagreeing and calling something out...  It's polite to link an article or some other form of proof.   Otherwise, it's hearsay.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dro1984 said:

So after some more digging, there's nothing on the official FCC docket about a vote being scheduled or held. I don't know if @Trip can provide any info?

• Like 1

Florida signs on for the merger.   ... and by the way, the article, today, states: "Separately, the Federal Communications Commission has indicated it plans to approve the merger and has begun the process of formally doing so."

Florida joins Justice Department settlement with Sprint, T-Mobile

Bazinga!!!!

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Florida signs on for the merger.   ... and by the way, the article, today, states: "Separately, the Federal Communications Commission has indicated it plans to approve the merger and has begun the process of formally doing so."

Florida joins Justice Department settlement with Sprint, T-Mobile

Bazinga!!!!

Interesting. Wonder when the vote is going to be?

On 10/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, bigsnake49 said:

Sprint's pilfering of Lifeline funds really did not help they case for this merger. I believe the merger will go through but I hope that Sprint has contingency plans in case that does not happen. It is now clear that the acquisition of Sprint by SoftBank was a disaster. Softbank was never interested in investing in Sprint. They always wanted to merge with T-Mobile. So what are the best options for Sprint?

1. Acquire Dish's wireless division and get acquired in turn by a consortium of Cable cos

2. Cable cos and sprint acquire the rest of EBS in rural areas and use that and CBRS to provide fixed wireless service/TV programming to rural areas

3. Cable cos become facilities based MVNO of Sprint 

4. Cable cos provide strand based and pole based 2.5 Ghz +CBRS based small cells

I have no idea what Sprint can do to survive on its own.

Softbank did invest in Sprint. Softbank is an asset holder, putting money into a company is an investment. They just don't hand out free money, and it would take at least two years worth of capex to get Sprint somewhere substantial where that money spent would actually make them money long term.  Even things like Softbanks $100B IT fund, they are just exchanging money for ownership where it is buying a large portion of a public company like ARM to get majority ownership, or a small startup that needs money and is willing to sell a portion of the company to get the money they need.  There is nothing left to buy from Sprint unless they want to take Sprint private.

Sprint's contingency plan is to operate as normal, like they are now.  They can keep going.  We'd see a Chapter 11 or Softbank taking Sprint private before a complete full on asset sale. Sprint's disaster apex would be when they can no longer raise money and take on debt.  When there is a full on loss in confidence.

Things can't be all too bad.  Sprint's numbers still aren't in the black, but they would easily have been if they didn't spend the few billion extra on capex.  But you gotta spend money to make money and it is great that Sprint's capex isn't complete garbage anymore.  Marcelo really might have had to trim capex way back just to keep the books not as deep in the red and sustain Sprint, but it cost Sprint a lot of time.

I think would would help Sprint greatly is removing CDMA requirements for devices to be on their network. Having a CDMA requirement is ignoring tens of millions of potential line additions and flat out throwing away tens of milions of others.  MVNOs have switched over from Sprint to TMobile.  New MVNOs are more likely to be a TMobile MVNO. People can't just take whatever phone and say "make it work". 

If CMDA exists on the device, even if it lacks BC10 should just be more a bonus for Sprint.  Sprint used to be the MVNO king, but TMobile has really been able to pick up Sprint's slack.

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 2

T-Mobile-Sprint Merger Has Majority Support at the FCC

3 republicans voted for.   No votes yet from the 2 dems.     From the Yahoo Finance article: All three Republicans on the five-member agency have voted for the deal, setting in motion procedures that would require agency action by Oct. 9, or Oct. 16 if an extension is requested by a commissioner, the people said. Neither agency Democrat has cast a vote, and both have called for delay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

If you have Sprint it is most likely T-Mobile roam like home, they also roam on AT&T LTE now, but it can be throttled pretty slow.

If you have Sprint it is most likely T-Mobile roam like home, they also roam on AT&T LTE now, but it can be throttled pretty slow.

That's likely TMobile. Att has very few areas with 20x20 AWS.