Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On 9/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, Brad The Beast said:

I think it is great.  Tmobile realizes the power of 2.5 GHz mid band spectrum for 5G deployment since Tmobile does not have enough midband spectrum for capacity to serve the growing number of customers.  If anything for some reason the Sprint/Tmobile merger falls through, Sprint should sell some of its 2.5 GHz midband spectrum to Tmobile to make full use of the entire 2.5 GHz band.

I think it is great.  Tmobile realizes the power of 2.5 GHz mid band spectrum for 5G deployment since Tmobile does not have enough midband spectrum for capacity to serve the growing number of customers.  If anything for some reason the Sprint/Tmobile merger falls through, Sprint should sell some of its 2.5 GHz midband spectrum to Tmobile to make full use of the entire 2.5 GHz band.
People keep saying that but it will NOT Happen. Once Sprint deploys 5G they are pretty much using all of B41. LTE small cells have different carriers from macro sites then 5G .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

People keep saying that but it will NOT Happen. Once Sprint deploys 5G they are pretty much using all of B41. LTE small cells have different carriers from macro sites then 5G .

We don't know what Sprint is going to do with 5G.  I don't even think for 4G they used all of its 160 GHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum.  Even in early 5G deployments Sprint is only deploying 40 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum.  Also we dont know how long Sprint will continue to operate as a company with all of its debt and declining customer base.

We don't know what Sprint is going to do with 5G.  I don't even think for 4G they used all of its 160 GHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum.  Even in early 5G deployments Sprint is only deploying 40 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum.  Also we dont know how long Sprint will continue to operate as a company with all of its debt and declining customer base.
I'm just saying it will not happen as whomever buys Sprint will want B41. Not every area has 160 mhz.

6 hours ago, ericdabbs said:

We don't know what Sprint is going to do with 5G. 

Yes we do. 60 MHz NR + 60 MHz LTE on M-MIMO equipment. DSS will be deployed soon as well, making it 60 MHz NR + 60 MHz LTE/NR (simultaneously). A separate 40-60 MHz will remain used for LTE on small cells/MBs. 

I don't even think for 4G they used all of its 160 GHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum. 

As far as LTE goes, Sprint runs between 60 MHz and 100 MHz on macro sites with 20-60 MHz used for small cells/MBs. The actual numbers vary from market to market. In Seattle, Sprint runs 100 MHz of L2500 on macros, 40 MHz on small cells, and MBs have their own dedicated channel. 

Even in early 5G deployments Sprint is only deploying 40 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum. 

Only in areas lacking contiguous spectrum. 60 MHz will be the norm. 

Also we dont know how long Sprint will continue to operate as a company with all of its debt and declining customer base.

Let's not start this discussion again, please. 

• Like 6

This merger needs to happen now lol, I'm on vacation down in Wildwood NJ and damn is B41 congested. Was pulling 250+ down on Thursday and now everything just times out. Had to disable B41 to get any usable internet on B25. T-Mobile it's fine here though. Guess a lot of people have switched to Sprint in the last year, never had a problem in the past.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 3:46 PM, ericdabbs said:

The Sprint 5G plans are in the merger documents in map form.  It will be deployed in many places, but do to limited cash flow, the duo will beat them to those places in many cases.  With their current Massive MIMO, they would be limited to 120MHz out of 194MHz for 5g in many markets with their existing equipment models.  The bigger question is whether they can afford to buy more in the upcoming 2.5 auction to better cover small towns and rural areas.

23 hours ago, dkyeager said:

The bigger question is whether they can afford to buy more in the upcoming 2.5 auction to better cover small towns and rural areas.

Would this be for the 20% of areas where they don't have 2.5 licenses? Do we have any ideas when this auction is going to be?

The Sprint 5G plans are in the merger documents in map form.  It will be deployed in many places, but do to limited cash flow, the duo will beat them to those places in many cases.  With their current Massive MIMO, they would be limited to 120MHz out of 194MHz for 5g in many markets with their existing equipment models.  The bigger question is whether they can afford to buy more in the upcoming 2.5 auction to better cover small towns and rural areas.

If the merger happens TMobile likely will. If not Sprint could as it would just be a software update. Sprint hasn't bought other spectrum including some they need cause they can't afford to buy it pay for equipment and deploy it. B41 is just software update. That's all if att doesn't but it to holf back the competition 

The sad part is, true or false, the companies, Sprint and T Mobile have spent millions of precious dollars making sure they filled all the paperwork, answered 1000 questions 2 or 3 times on capitol hill...(unprecedented for merging  companies) and a review that never stops for this merger.   The alleged fraud that is being brought up would be a nothing story at this point if the merger would have gone as scheduled and as 100's of others have before it.    All the additional time spent waiting and in litigation now is so wasteful on so many fronts.   The government and the bureaucrats have done a great job at weakening a very weak company already and one that was strong but is being force to spend( waste) money.   So the strong (AT&T and Verizon) can continue on... un-impeded... and the small will get smaller or fade away.

• Like 4

Looks like the T-Mobile Roaming doesn't include their cellspots. We have a T-Mobile cellspot about 20 ft from my desk at work, and even by forcing my phone to LTE only and disabling B25, B26, and B41 it will see the cellspot but not fully connect and pass data. 

NFV6l3v.jpg

pA4lAk4.jpg

My Sprint signal at my desk. I'm thinking about requesting a magicbox for our office.

amLgXJ4.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the T-Mobile Roaming doesn't include their cellspots. We have a T-Mobile cellspot about 20 ft from my desk at work, and even by forcing my phone to LTE only and disabling B25, B26, and B41 it will see the cellspot but not fully connect and pass data. 
NFV6l3v.jpg
pA4lAk4.jpg
My Sprint signal at my desk. I'm thinking about requesting a magicbox for our office.
amLgXJ4.jpg
Does airplane mode bring LTE back?

On 9/23/2019 at 1:36 AM, dkyeager said:

Have, will or why hasn't Sprint been leaving up their 8T8R gear where they have the extra spectrum?

21 hours ago, mdob07 said:

NFV6l3v.jpg

pA4lAk4.jpg

amLgXJ4.jpg

If you don't get bands 25 or 41 at your desk then a Magic Box won't work. 

11 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

I'm hoping they get ethernet backhaul working. That's the only way It'd work for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Then you'd have the fun task of trying to get it to work on a corporate network. 

They'd never allow it on the corporate network. Luckily we have a Spectrum 200mbps circuit for a guest network. Basically guest wifi and anything that we don't want on the corporate network. We got the tmobile cellspot working pretty easily. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

They'd never allow it on the corporate network. Luckily we have a Spectrum 200mbps circuit for a guest network. Basically guest wifi and anything that we don't want on the corporate network. We got the tmobile cellspot working pretty easily. 

Well that's nice. Can't even get a Magic Box here.

15 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

But the Magic Box does not have to be set up at his desk.  It can be set in a window toward a cell site.  And then rebroadcast the signal in reach of his desk.  However, if his whole location is without a signal, then he's out of luck as you point out.

Robert

• Like 4

I think the entire review process is now a bunch of cr*p.   "Bonkers" as she put it?!  How dumb!    Not sure who is telling the truth or if anyone in DC even knows what that is anymore?  This whole process has been a circus!   Was / is there a "process" to review and approve?   If so, why wasn't it followed?   Why is it being revisited 5 times?!  No company has ever had to go through this... in this manner.   If you keep re-reviewing something, then no doubt, you WILL find something.   You've (certain FCC commissioners and certain DOJ officials) have been looking for something over and over to pick on with this merger and won't stop until it is found.    The official vote/doctrine should have been voted on way before and signed off and this whole thing should have been put to bed by now. 

They have had 1 1/2 years to review this!  Now she says they didn't see the documents and or are having a different order circulated through??   What the heck was going on there for 1 1/2 years?    

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 3

I think the entire review process is now a bunch of cr*p.   "Bonkers" as she put it?!  How dumb!    Not sure who is telling the truth or if anyone in DC even knows what that is anymore?  This whole process has been a circus!   Was / is there a "process" to review and approve?   If so, why wasn't it followed?   Why is it being revisited 5 times?!  No company has ever had to go through this... in this manner.   If you keep re-reviewing something, then no doubt, you WILL find something.   You've (certain FCC commissioners and certain DOJ officials) have been looking for something over and over to pick on with this merger and won't stop until it is found.    The official vote/doctrine should have been voted on way before and signed off and this whole thing should have been put to bed by now.  They have had 1 1/2 years to review this!  Now she says they didn't see the documents and or are having a different order circulated through??   What the heck was going on there for 1 1/2 years?     

It has no doubt been beyond crazy. At this point, just throw the entire merger away. Get rid of the people at the top of the pole at Sprint, bring in folk willing to take chances and a CEO with a vibrant, risk taker yet has a track record for revival. Sprint has some life left (ex:current 5G status vs their competitors) it just needs the right team to further enhance it and bring it to the front.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2