Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I don't understand your take on the second one. Softbank will invest in a tower company which does not have any towers right now which means that they have to construct them. So how does it freaup capital for Sprint? Maybe I am dense.

In addition to building towers, they will be buying sites from Sprint and it sounds like other companies as well. Acquisitions are the main push initially it sounds like, construction coming later. If Softbank remains connected with Sprint, this seems like a good thing to me.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

In addition to building towers, they will be buying sites from Sprint and it sounds like other companies as well. Acquisitions are the main push initially it sounds like, construction coming later. If Softbank remains connected with Sprint, this seems like a good thing to me.

OK they will be building towers for Sprint and other companies to share. They will buy sites and build sites for Sprint and then lease them back to sprint thereby contributing money to Sprint and freeing Capex. But then opex will increase.

Any thoughts on what this means?

T-Mobile to Release Q3 2017 Earnings on October 23, 2017

Bellevue, Washington — October 22, 2017 — T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) will issue an earnings release and Investor Factbook reporting its third quarter 2017 financial and operational results on Monday, October 23, 2017 at approximately 7:30 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). A vlog with President and Chief Executive Officer John Legere and a prepared Q&A discussing the results will be available at the same time. Please note that we will not host an earnings call this quarter.

No Earnings Call? That seems really peculiar... and perhaps indicative.

Sprint hasn’t yet announced its Earnings Call. For reference, Sprint held its Fiscal Q216 Earnings Call on October 25, 2016.

Seems like something’s up here.

37 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Any thoughts on what this means?

No Earnings Call? That seems really peculiar... and perhaps indicative.

Seems like something’s up here.

It would be pretty consistent with what was reported last week that a merger announcement is still likely imminent, but wasn't going to be ready by earnings as previously hoped by both parties. There is little point in holding a conference call with analysts right now when you know the questions would be merger dominated (and T-Mobile's executive team can't really answer most of said questions in such a setting right now), especially when you expect to have to hold a conference call with analysts at some point in the coming weeks after you announce a merger.

• Like 2

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/tmobile-q3-earnings.htm

Sprint also has value in its loss carry forwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Sprint also has value in its loss carry forwards.

The pieces are coming together here.

I just hope the employees of both companies are taken care of.

Stressful holiday season...

If this is announced, I fear that Sprint’s metrics will fall and that its service quality and employee morale will suffer until/unless the merger is consummated.

It will not be over for a while.  It could last a year or more after announcement, assuming they get that far.  AT&T and Verizon lobbyists are likely already active, especially with the FCC in terms of how much bandwidth will be allowed.

Corporate culture issues often are ignored in these deals.  Hopefully a battle against the duo would be enough. 

• Like 1

Perhaps Sprint is doing the acquiring?

After all, the “Message from management” is coming from Sprint... and T-Mobile said nothing today.

T-Mobile also could have postponed its announcement until after Sprint’s and still not held an actual Earnings Call.

Wishful thinking on my part?

"Message from management" 

If history is anything to go by, when Sprint hypes things up and actually announces its not really what we think it is. 

If this is indeed the actual announcement of the merger, I could honestly see Son doing it. 

I just don't see why they cant do a full blown Project Fi type thing with both networks but remain separate.

A merger of this size is def going to take some time to review...if it gets that far...probably the reason why its a all stock trade as of now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terrell352 said:

And no call... Just a note from management. That is strange, especially at such a precarious time for Sprint.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah. I see Son doing this too. Maybe he’ll announce that Softbank is buying T-Mobile?

It has to be the merger.

What are the odds against two companies who’ve been alleged merger partners for months now not holding actual Earnings Calls in the same week and with little to no announcements for both companies?

18 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

And no call... Just a note from management. That is strange, especially at such a precarious time for Sprint.

Tells me that the announcement of the merger is close at hand.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

9 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

I agree with you snake. There were reports of them wanting to wait until each company reported their fiscal quarter before a move happened (though we may still need to wait until T-Mobile gives theirs before we see any action)

38 minutes ago, derrph said:

"Message from management" 

If history is anything to go by, when Sprint hypes things up and actually announces its not really what we think it is. 

If this is indeed the actual announcement of the merger, I could honestly see Son doing it. 

I just don't see why they cant do a full blown Project Fi type thing with both networks but remain separate.

A merger of this size is def going to take some time to review...if it gets that far...probably the reason why its a all stock trade as of now.

I have advocated a merged network while the parent companies remain separate for a little while now. But failing that, a traditional merger.

Just remember that it can only be rejected on anti-trust grounds. I don't think that anybody can find antitrust grounds for this merger. Reduced customer choice, yes but anti-trust, no!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JThorson said:

I agree with you snake. There were reports of them wanting to wait until each company reported their fiscal quarter before a move happened (though we may still need to wait until T-Mobile gives theirs before we see any action)

T-Mobile just did:

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Yeah. I see Son doing this too. Maybe he’ll announce that Softbank is buying T-Mobile?

It has to be the merger.

What are the odds against two companies who’ve been alleged merger partners for months now not holding actual Earnings Calls in the same week and with little to no announcements for both companies?

Exactly! At least on T-Mo end they always announce a week in advance that they are doing their Q earnings. What I did notice today is that John also posted a video saying that this video was a good way to keep everyone focused on the results and not the rumors going around daily. Traditionally too, Sprint normally does their Q earnings at the start of a new month and never in the same week as another carrier. In a way the writing is all over the wall. 

If Son does announce it, the Sprint brand has to go. there's no ways around that. It's sad at the same time that we may possibly see a company this old go bye bye. 

• Like 1

I’d say with TMO’s great earnings report today. Sprint would “need” to report dire results in order to get the feds onboard. But weren’t the last few quarters a sizable uptick. Hmm

Something seems off or fishy

Though maybe just being direct and no interest in fielding questions. Can’t say that I blame them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, derrph said:

Yepper, do a project Fi type of thing.  Make it even better than Project Fi. Quit building duplicate cell sites in the same area.

Keep all the Spectrum.  Build the 600 network in the very rural areas and build the crap out of the 2500 network where needed.

Trade/merge 1900 spectrum if it can be done to make it more efficient and wider channels.

Trade any oddball spectrum with AT&T or Verizon. Maybe even include a deal of some type with US Cellular.

I can not see a full blown merger and the resulting need to dump Spectrum.

• Like 3

Sprint has reported to Wall street that they will do the same.   Marcelo and company will tape a quarterly earning report as well to avoid questions around the merger.     Strange behaviors.   I have never seen this before.   

24 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

I’d say with TMO’s great earnings report today. Sprint would “need” to report dire results in order to get the feds onboard. But weren’t the last few quarters a sizable uptick. Hmm

Though maybe just being direct and no interest in fielding questions. Can’t say that I blame them.

they said the merger would be delayed a while longer....

30 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

This merger doesn’t need to happen. Sprint has finally turned the corner on its network build. We just got a bunch of new extended coverage as well as an announcement from Gilat on October 16, 2016 about Sprint expanding its Contract to a Three Year Managed Services Project:

https://www.gilat.com/pressreleases/sprint-expands-gilat-contract-to-a-three-year-multi-million-dollar-managed-service-project/

Original announcement by Gilat was made on October 26, 2016:

https://www.gilat.com/pressreleases/gilats-satellite-based-cellular-backhaul-solution-selected-by-sprint-to-extend-lte-services-to-metro-edge-and-rural-areas-in-the-us/

This Gilat coverage can be deployed quickly it seems.

What would happen to that agreement in the case of a merger? Would Sprint senior management, who I assume are in a position to know about any pending merger announcements, really sign off on a Three Year Managed Service Project of this scope for Sprint less than 10 days before an Earnings Announcement?

• Like 2