Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 minute ago, bigsnake49 said:

From the Dish Press release:

ADDITIONAL DETAILS

With all of Dish's spectrum, customers and employees obtained, they really will be a small 4th competitor. Lets see how they deploy and get it completed. June 2023 is coming.

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

Only Band 26 got divested or rather sold.

That was such a smart move from Legere.  The 800 MHz spectrum didn't fit into Tmobile's low band spectrum portfolio especially with 600 MHz and 700 MHz spectrum already there and it made logical sense to divest nationwide licenses of them.  The good news is that they were able to maintain all of the 2.5 GHz spectrum and AWS/PCS spectrum to build a very solid mid band portfolio going forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jroepcke51 said:

With all of Dish's spectrum, customers and employees obtained, they really will be a small 4th competitor. Lets see how they deploy and get it completed. June 2023 is coming.

Don't forget retail stores and leases. While Virgin Mobile is 100% online based, Dish will take over Sprint stores. In addition Boost stores will probably be retained.

I saw a video on YouTube about the merger. The guy said that after the deal closes people with newer devices will immediately start moving to the T-Mobile network. Anyone have an idea of what devices would be considered as a newer device? 

4 minutes ago, ericdabbs said:

That was such a smart move from Legere.  The 800 MHz spectrum didn't fit into Tmobile's low band spectrum portfolio especially with 600 MHz and 700 MHz spectrum already there and it made logical sense to divest nationwide licenses of them.  The good news is that they were able to maintain all of the 2.5 GHz spectrum and AWS/PCS spectrum to build a very solid mid band portfolio going forward.

I was so afraid that they would have to divest PCS or AWS spectrum.

3 minutes ago, 1dante said:

I saw a video on YouTube about the merger. The guy said that after the deal closes people with newer devices will immediately start moving to the T-Mobile network. Anyone have an idea of what devices would be considered as a newer device? 

No, but lets be clear too - this news doesn't mean the deal is closing as of today, just that DoJ approval came today.

9 minutes ago, 1dante said:

Ones that have T-Mobile's frequencies on them. The ones that have band 71 on them will be able to move with no problem at all. The others that have band 66, 12 and 25 will also be able to move over. My XR can move over with no problem:

FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71) 

TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41) 

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz) 

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Edited by bigsnake49

Just now, bigsnake49 said:

Ones that have T-Mobile's frequencies on them. The ones that have band 71 on them will be able to move with no problem at all. The others that have band 66, 12 and 25 will also be able to move over. My XR is in the second group in that it lacks band 71.

I know B71 is on my S10+ it's just disabled, a new sim card from T-Mobile would likely enable it.

3 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

I was so afraid that they would have to divest PCS or AWS spectrum.

Me too!   I'm thrilled they didn't...   They have a very nice Spectrum portfolio now.   I trust T Mobile will use it quickly and effectively, unlike what we have been use to with Sprint.    This is truly a breath of fresh air!   I have a Samsung S9+ ... all it needs is T mobile's blessing to unlock all those frequency/channels...    

Me too!   I'm thrilled they didn't...   They have a very nice Spectrum portfolio now.   I trust T Mobile will use it quickly and effectively, unlike what we have been use to with Sprint.    This is truly a breath of fresh air!   I have a Samsung S9+ ... all it needs is T mobile's blessing to unlock all those frequency/channels...    

I’m actually on boost mobile. I’m jumping ship though to Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Ones that have T-Mobile's frequencies on them. The ones that have band 71 on them will be able to move with no problem at all. The others that have band 66, 12 and 25 will also be able to move over. My XR is in the second group in that it lacks band 71.

Ok that’s cool with me. I’m only missing B71. I just wanted to make sure cause I’ll be paying off my iPhone 8+ in the near future. Wasn’t sure if I’ll have to upgrade just to have more access to the T-Mobile network. 

6 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

No, but lets be clear too - this news doesn't mean the deal is closing as of today, just that DoJ approval came today.

I know it’s not closing today. Just wanted to inquire for future references. 

How come? I can't talk as I'm in Visible right now

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I know B71 is on my S10+ it's just disabled, a new sim card from T-Mobile would likely enable it.
Most likely B71 isn't disabled in your phone. I thought that about B66 but it's not

From the T-Mobile press release:

Master Services Agreement for Network Access 

With this agreement, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint-branded prepaid customers, as well as new DISH wireless customers, will have full access to the legacy Sprint network and the New T-Mobile network in a phased approach. Access to the New T-Mobile network will be through an MVNO arrangement, as well as through an Infrastructure MNO arrangement enabling roaming in certain areas until DISH’s 5G network is built out.

Transition Services Agreement to Support Prepaid Customers 

The New T-Mobile will offer standard transition services arrangements to DISH for up to three years following the close of the divestiture transaction. The transition services provided by the New T-Mobile will result in the orderly transfer of prepaid customers to DISH and will also ensure the continued and seamless operation of Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint-branded prepaid businesses following transition to DISH's ownership.

Agreement to Divest Sprint’s 800 MHz Spectrum Licenses to DISH 

DISH has agreed to acquire Sprint’s portfolio of nationwide 800 MHz spectrum for a total value of approximately $3.6 billion in a transaction to be completed, subject to certain additional closing conditions, following an application for FCC approval to be filed three years following the closing of T-Mobile’s merger with Sprint. This will permit the New T-Mobile to continue to serve legacy Sprint customers during network integration, pending later FCC approval of the license transfer. The companies have also entered into an agreement providing the New T-Mobile the option to lease back a portion of the spectrum sold to DISH for an additional two years following closing of the spectrum sale.

Option for DISH to Take Over Decommissioned Cell Sites and Retail Locations 

Following the closing of T-Mobile’s merger with Sprint and subsequent integration into the New T-Mobile, DISH will have the option to take on leases for certain cell sites and retail locations that are decommissioned by the New T-Mobile for five years following the closing of the divestiture transaction, subject to any assignment restrictions.

Agreement to Engage in Negotiations Regarding T-Mobile Leasing DISH's 600 MHz Spectrum 

The companies have also committed to engage in good faith negotiations regarding the leasing of some or all of DISH’s 600 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

I can understand that in a way.   Not sure why you've always taken such an interest in Sprint/T Mobile if that is in fact your plan?

Verizon is very strong in your area.   It was the NYNEX (AT&T BabyBell, serving New England and New York) and Bell Atlantic serving New Jersey... together they formed Verizon.    They own most of the circuits and underground telephone hardware in those areas.  Now you can understand why Verizon is so "good" in your neck of the country.     

Edited by dro1984

7 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Most likely B71 isn't disabled in your phone. I thought that about B66 but it's not

Well certain bands are disabled with different firmwares, if I put a T-Mobile sim in it would enable it.

I can understand that in a way.   Not sure why you've always taken such an interest in Sprint/T Mobile if that is in fact your plan?
Verizon is very strong in your area.   It was the NYNEX (AT&T BabyBell, serving New England and New York) and Bell Atlantic serving New Jersey... together they formed Verizon.    They own most of the circuits and underground telephone hardware in those areas.  Now you can understand why Verizon is so "good" in your neck of the country.     

I was just watching with interestBecause I’m worried that they won’t at least let my phone and use the new frequencies. I know my phones not band 71 capable. But I would be interested in sticking around to see what happens.

Here's my question. The Dish press release says Dish will:  

"Acquire Sprint's prepaid businesses and customers, including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile and the Sprint-branded prepaid service."

I'm wondering if they have any rights to/will acquire the Sprint name as a part of this? To possibly still see a Sprint branded prepaid service?

Here's my question. The Dish press release says Dish will:  
"Acquire Sprint's prepaid businesses and customers, including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile and the Sprint-branded prepaid service."
I'm wondering if they have any rights to/will acquire the Sprint name as a part of this? To possibly still see a Sprint branded prepaid service?

The sprint brand is to tarnished to keep alive. My theory is that they will call at dish mobile

Just now, danlodish345 said:

The sprint brand is to tarnished to keep alive. My theory is that they will call at dish mobile

I wouldn't disagree with that entirely, the best business decision wouldn't be to use the Sprint name. I'm just wondering if under this deal they actually have the rights to do so.

I wouldn't disagree with that entirely, the best business decision wouldn't be to use the Sprint name. I'm just wondering if under this deal they actually have the rights to do so.

In my opinion sprints brand has to be retired there to tarnished due to all the issues they’ve had and the negative public opinion of their brand