Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Im not sure the major ISPs are really 100% interested in building cellular networks.  I feel like they are more content as MVNOs, it suits their business model and bundling power.  They also won't want to build a network where they don't have landline service. They also have extensive coverage via their customer routers.

They have owned AWS, 700 and sold those off.  They now have some 600 and I feel they will just sell it off.  You aren't going to solve anything with just 5x5. Have we actually seen Comcast, Charter or the like deploy anything beyond test equipment? I think they might be more interested in unlicensed stuff and deploy those in areas with high data usage across cellular.  But I'd expect these to be more like hotspots and not real city coverage network buildouts.  More a long the lines of the millions of WiFi hotspots they already have.  Shoot, that's an idea, every modem they give a customer has an LAA LTE radio in it for 5GHz.

I think Comcast and the like who have 600MHz are just speculators like they have been before. 

Comcast is big and likes it that way!   I don't see them doing anything with anyone else but the biggest cellular companies (Ie, Verizon and AT&T).   Not a well liked company and I don't see things changing much.    

Comcast is part of the reason why I find it ridiculous that the Government is having such issues over approving Sprint/T Mobile.    They let (whole heatedly) Comcast merge and buy out competitors until it's as huge as it is... in many areas being the only cable/broadband player.   Now you're (US Gov) is worried suddenly about going from 4 to 3 wireless carriers?!   

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

Im not sure the major ISPs are really 100% interested in building cellular networks.  I feel like they are more content as MVNOs, it suits their business model and bundling power.  They also won't want to build a network where they don't have landline service. They also have extensive coverage via their customer routers.

They have owned AWS, 700 and sold those off.  They now have some 600 and I feel they will just sell it off.  You aren't going to solve anything with just 5x5. Have we actually seen Comcast, Charter or the like deploy anything beyond test equipment? I think they might be more interested in unlicensed stuff and deploy those in areas with high data usage across cellular.  But I'd expect these to be more like hotspots and not real city coverage network buildouts.  More a long the lines of the millions of WiFi hotspots they already have.  Shoot, that's an idea, every modem they give a customer has an LAA LTE radio in it for 5GHz.

I think Comcast and the like who have 600MHz are just speculators like they have been before. 

You remember that the AWS spectrum was supposed to be for Sprint but Sprint dropped the ball. 

You remember that the AWS spectrum was supposed to be for Sprint but Sprint dropped the ball. 
How did Sprint do that? Or why?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, dro1984 said:

If only it had clowns and magicians and "magic"!  Would make it more fun.        This is more like bad acting from a really bad Soap Opera.   It is an uncharted, never seen before Government mess (Government trying to set up another business?!).   Let's hope it gets its oars in the water today!

Believe me this is a circus. And TMobile is the ringleader below the clowns below the ringleader. Whenever I hear about the merger I think and hear circus music.

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

How did Sprint do that? Or why?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Sprint was part of SpectrumCo that bought a 10x10Mhz chunk in the AWS-1 auction for $2B. That was for Sprint to deploy paying rent to SpectrumCo. But Sprint had financial problems and could not afford to deploy it so they withdrew from SpectrumCo. The spectrum was then sold to Verizon for $4B for a handsome little profit.

18 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Sprint was part of SpectrumCo that bought a 10x10Mhz chunk in the AWS-1 auction for $2B. That was for Sprint to deploy paying rent to SpectrumCo. But Sprint had financial problems and could not afford to deploy it so they withdrew from SpectrumCo. The spectrum was then sold to Verizon for $4B for a handsome little profit.

They also didn't even have a say.  They had just a non-voting 5% stake.  This was also pre-LTE and was expected to possibly be used for CDMA. 

They problably felt like they weren't or couldn't get a fair deal.  A touch more than a year after dropping out of the SpectrumCo JV they got a majority stake in Clearwire and started selling WiMax service.

Edited by red_dog007

57 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

They also didn't even have a say.  They had just a non-voting 5% stake.  This was also pre-LTE and was expected to possibly be used for CDMA. 

They problably felt like they weren't or couldn't get a fair deal.  A touch more than a year after dropping out of the SpectrumCo JV they got a majority stake in Clearwire and started selling WiMax service.

The cable cos have had a long and troubled history with Sprint. They seem that they want to work with Sprint but then they stop. I don't know who's at fault.

2 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

DOJ cancelled press release
Tmo cancelled earnings call
Is dish getting cold feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More popcorn, anyone?

It’s on behalf of the DOJ .. they are negotiating with the states

If that’s to be true. I just think it’s going to be delayed a little while longer. The merger is going to happen.
  • Like 1

If that’s to be true. I just think it’s going to be delayed a little while longer. The merger is going to happen.

The deal has been pending over a year. Supposedly doj wants to pick off 1 state. With doj backing the states supposedly don’t stand a chance.. something else is up

• Like 1

The deal has been pending over a year. Supposedly doj wants to pick off 1 state. With doj backing the states supposedly don’t stand a chance.. something else is up

Good thing Sprint stayed the course with their network upgrades. They would be screwed majorly right now.

The news / business outlets are still saying the delay is due to the DOJ negotiating with the states over the merger.     Overall, this might be good to clear as much of the legalities up as possible.

24 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

Good thing Sprint stayed the course with their network upgrades. They would be screwed majorly right now.

Imagine how much better off they would be if they put in 100% effort into their upgrades.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Imagine how much better off they would be if they put in 100% effort into their upgrades.

They've actually done more upgrades and tower additions in Texas after the merger was announced. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

The news / business outlets are still saying the delay is due to the DOJ negotiating with the states over the merger.     Overall, this might be good to clear as much of the legalities up as possible.

The DoJ is just trying to flip a couple of states to walk away from the lawsuit. Their goal is to weaken it as much as possible.

I'd be very surprised if the DoJ can convince anti-Trump states like California and New York to walk away. Those AGs are fully locked into a political pissing match.

• Like 2