Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

33 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

As far as 700 mHz goes, who owns most of it?  AT&T or Verizon?   I remember Verizon getting a pretty decent swath...

Looks like AT&T. They have 15x10 most places. Verizon has 10x10 everywhere except for one select area in Nevada that's 15x15.

Looks like AT&T. They have 15x10 most places. Verizon has 10x10 everywhere except for one select area in Nevada that's 15x15.
I have never seen anything over 10x10 on att or vzw 700 mhz. Plus they can do 15x15 anyway

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

AT&T also has band 14 to use most of of the time minus what public safety is using at the time.

As far as 700 mHz goes, who owns most of it?  AT&T or Verizon?   I remember Verizon getting a pretty decent swath...
Vzw owns Nationwide 10x10 Band13 plus 10x10 B5 in some areas. Some areas get two 10x10 carriers for B5. Att has 10x10 B12 most of the country with some areas at 5x5. Att owns 10x10 B14 Nationwide and 10x10 B5 in some areas with limited areas 2, 10x10's

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I have never seen anything over 10x10 on att or vzw 700 mhz. Plus they can do 15x15 anyway

AT&T also owns 700Mhz Block D and some of block E.

Uh, oh:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Charter Communications (CHTR.O) submitted a proposal to the Justice Department to buy telecom assets being sold under the T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.O) and Sprint Corp (S.N) combination, but never heard back from the agency, three sources familiar with the matter said. 

U.S. officials decided to accept a deal to sell assets including Sprint’s Boost Mobile brand to satellite TV provider Dish Network (DISH.O) to resolve antitrust concerns, ending extensive talks on a merger the Justice Department is expected to approve this week. 

The Justice Department’s lack of response to Charter could raise concerns among critics of the $26.5 billion merger of wireless carriers T-Mobile and Sprint that officials did not weigh all divestiture offers before deciding on a deal with Dish.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobile-us-charter-c/cable-firm-charter-submitted-plan-to-buy-sprint-t-mobile-assets-sources-idUSKCN1UJ2T3?utm_source=reddit.com

AWS-1 and 3 is really all over the place!  Didn't realize it was that divided up!   I thought T-Mo had more than they do. (Am I wrong?)

Edited by dro1984

I'm pretty sure DOJ saw Charter's bid.    I firmly believe they wanted Dish because of all the wasted spectrum Charley was sitting on.   They wanted to make sure he was going to put it to use and Dish also kept saying they had aspirations to actually build a cellular network already.   They were the closest to getting a real "4th Carrier" than anyone else could have been.     Charter's close relationship with Verizon is also scary.   I'm sure DOJ saw that too and the point was not to feed any more possible spectrum / market power to Verizon or AT&T through the back door.  

Edited by dro1984

Now the announcement is being delayed until Friday by the DoJ according to Charles Gasparino.

Something tells me there is either an issue with the states or the DoJ is trying to figure out how to handle the "Charter" leak.

• Like 2

Yeah that’s only usable for uplink Band 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which isn't very widely used. Att owns it but barely uses it. Doesn't sound like it plays nice with B12. Interference issues it sounds

Once the DOJ hurdle is crossed then we still have the FCC (which is where the real details will come from).  Then the state suits, half of which are likely just trying to get a better deal for their states.

so:  :popcorn:

Once the DOJ hurdle is crossed then we still have the FCC (which is where the real details will come from).  Then the state suits, half of which are likely just trying to get a better deal for their states.

I obviously concur with you on this one. Bring out the popcorn and bring out the circus

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Don't forget California's Public Utilities Commission.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Don't forget California's Public Utilities Commission.

Let’s bring out additional clowns and magicians to magic this merger through to approval. I will sit back and watch with great interest in this circus.

• Like 3

If only it had clowns and magicians and "magic"!  Would make it more fun.        This is more like bad acting from a really bad Soap Opera.   It is an uncharted, never seen before Government mess (Government trying to set up another business?!).   Let's hope it gets its oars in the water today!

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 2

Honk Honk, welcome to clown world.

🤡🌎

43 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

If only it had clowns and magicians and "magic"!  Would make it more fun.        This is more like bad acting from a really bad Soap Opera.   It is an uncharted, never seen before Government mess (Government trying to set up another business?!).   Let's hope it gets its oars in the water today!

• Like 3

So we are far from done with the merger closing and being official?

15 minutes ago, derrph said:

So we are far from done with the merger closing and being official?

I think it's more "official" done.     I really don't see the lawsuits really stopping this.   Once the DOJ signs off on it, it's pretty much a done deal (IMO).     The lawsuits at that point are purely speculative fear mongering.   Their basis is loss of competition and job loss.   Well, you now have a 4th play called Dish ... and I'm sure they will need to hire more people.  So none of those litigation arguments hold water.  (in the words of My Cousin Vinny)

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 2

T Mobile's 2nd quarter results are being released/Earnings call/Video cast at 4:30pm today.    It was said that a large part was planned to discuss the Merger and "Next steps" which would really be fascinating!   Not sure that will be part of the meeting unless the DOJ blesses it today?  

Edited by dro1984
fixed 2nd quarter

While we wait with baited breath for the announcement let's discuss what the cable cos are going to do in the future. Here's what I think will happen for each of the major cable cos:

1. Comcast - I expect them to be a major player in the CBRS and C-Band deployment via strand and pole mount small cells. They were starting to cooperate with Sprint in 2.5GHz small cells. Will T-Mobile follow through on that cooperation? I think they should. Comcast also has some 600MHz spectrum covering their footprint. Although they have the financial wherewithal to deploy it themselves, should they? I think they should let T-Mobile host their 600Mhz spectrum. Either way between small cells and 600Mhz they will be in good position to reduce their payments to Verizon for their MVNO. 

Charter - They are also going to be major players in the CBRS and C-Band small cell deployments. Will they continue cooperating with T-Mobile now that Sprint has been absorbed?

Cox - They have no MVNO and they have a lot of Sprint small cells deployed. I don't see why T-Mobile will do anything to jeopardize that.

Altice - Altice has cooperated closely with Sprint on deploying 2.5 Ghz small cells but it also has an infrastructure based MVNO so will T-Mobile follow through? 

Will the DOJ merger agreement force T-Mobile to continue cooperating on Sprint-initiated Cable Cos efforts? I hope so.

• Like 1