Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

3 minutes ago, briank86 said:

Someone please help me understand how Dish spectrum hosted by the New T-Mobile network will lead to increased competition in the industry. I'm failing to recognize how they can charge substantially less for the same network, unless they cut profits or add debt, which doesn't seem sustainable. 

Well we don't know how much Dish will have to pay T-mobile for the hosting if any or if T-Mobile will get paid by additional capacity from the hosted spectrum. Dish as the new entity will probably have to give incentives to people to join its network or not leave it at least. That increases price competition which is what the DOJ wants.

I can see that on the short term with ideal pricing and terms, but not in the long term. Unless maybe Dish will build their own network from the ground up. Is that likely? I can't imagine DOJ would be that short sighted. 

Well, according to wsj.com, this is not half as bad as I thought. It was one of the items that I thought that they would have to do on their own. Now the article says that "...the ability to operate on T-Mobile’s network during a seven-year transition period, some of the people said." I take that to mean that T-Mobile will have to host Dish's spectrum for a period of 7 years. Now AWS-3 and 600Mhz no problem. AWS-4 a bit more problematic. Also, how much if any is Dish going to pay T-Mobile for the hosting of the spectrum. 

They will pay 50% of revenue to every customer gained “for every customer that signs up to Dish’s wireless network,TM will receive about half of the economics, according to people familiar with the matter. That’s the price Dish has agreed to pay to share T-Mo’s network”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

They will pay 50% of revenue to every customer gained

Where do you see that? What about the already existing Boost customers?

If all they have to divest spectrum wise is 800, then i'd say its a pretty good deal.   I think T mo has more 600 and 700 than Sprint has 800?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

If all they have to divest spectrum wise is 800, then i'd say its a pretty good deal.   I think T mo has more 600 and 700 than Sprint has 800?

Yes. 800 is basically 15mhz accross the county (reduced due to IBEZ). 700 is pretty much 10mhz across the US. When you add 600 (those holdings vary depending on location), this pushes it above the 800.

However, I still don't like seeing them divest any.

4 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Yeah, I don't believe that. It will be a fixed amount a year for all of Dish plus a $/GB for the data consumed. If T-Mobile uses the capacity from Dish's spectrum then that amount will be offset. Think of it as a virtual MVNO that owns Dish's spectrum and is paying T-mobile to host it and can sell capacity to both Dish and T-Mobile. As far as accounting is concerned that would be the cleanest way to do it.

I am in an old IBEZ area....until recently 800 didn't do much for me here....still doesn't,  but I have a lot to gain with TMo frequencies...600, 700, and their 1600/1700/2100?  ...everything here is running mostly on over crowded 1900.  2.4 has mostly been relegated to 5g.   

17 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

I agree with that. Now if T-Mobile can make some deals to acquire more 700Mhz (AT&T?) to where it's almost national that will be great. Or if they can trade 700Mhz for 600Mhz with let's say Comcast or other 600Mhz holders that will be great also.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

I agree with that. Now if T-Mobile can make some deals to acquire more 700Mhz (AT&T?) to where it's almost national that will be great. Or if they can trade 700Mhz for 600Mhz with let's say Comcast or other 600Mhz holders that will be great also.

I’m just curious if dish is obligated to build out its own network.

Under the merger they will get B26 and it's available over the whole country

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

I’m just curious if dish is obligated to build out its own network.

At the end of a 7 year transition period according to the WSJ article.

Edited by bigsnake49

1 minute ago, danlodish345 said:

OK so it will take a while.

For a brand new, from the ground up probably but I think Dish will do it sooner than 7 years. Maybe 4-5. A lot will depend if they can use some parts of the Sprint network.

4 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

For a brand new, from the ground up probably but I think Dish will do it sooner than 7 years. Maybe 4-5. A lot will depend if they can use some parts of the Sprint network.

That’s the keys that hasn’t been announced. I’m sure the removal of sprint sites will transfer ownership or something. 

7 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

I'd say 7 years is good and aggressive...hell, its taken Sprint 21 years and its still not complete!  😉

Hell, they can get a 600Mhz network with good coverage but not necessarily lot of capacity going in couple of years. Then they can thicken it with band 66 and band 26.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

There really isn't any 700 (ABC) left.  700MHz is about as nationwide as TMobile can ever get it unless regional carriers sell out or need cash so are willing to sell some assets.

600 is where all the speculators are. This is where all the large spectrum transactions are going to be taking place in the future.

There really isn't any 700 (ABC) left.  700MHz is about as nationwide as TMobile can ever get it unless regional carriers sell out or need cash so are willing to sell some assets.
600 is where all the speculators are. This is where all the large spectrum transactions are going to be taking place in the future.
Its already been confirmed that Dish is buying B26 from Sprint so B12 and 71 are a keeper

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1