Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On 7/22/2019 at 9:30 AM, bigsnake49 said:

If they had to give up spectrum to Dish then they gave up too much and I would have let the DOJ sue. On the other hand, exchanging 800MHz SMR spectrum for 600Mhz spectrum down the line might be OK.

The devil is in the details. Besides the revised deal, I will want to see both what the DOJ requires and what the FCC does with spectrum by county, phones, coverage, billing, and transition plus any other details. Then I can make my own judgement as to whether this is good national policy.

Only when the transition is complete in my area will I be able to decide whether it is a good deal for me personally.

My overall guess is it will be good to allow T-Mobile and to merge, uncertain on Dish, and I might end up with AT&T assuming my local Sprint sites are dropped based on current results.

U.S. Poised to Approve Merger of T-Mobile, Sprint

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-poised-to-approve-merger-of-t-mobile-sprint-11563967640

Deutsche Telekom sets meeting as T-Mobile, Sprint deal nears approval: report

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobileus-idUSKCN1UJ0KF

• Like 2

Originally sources were saying this merger approval was to be announced today (Wednesday), now I'm reading tomorrow??   I hope we don't have to wait any longer...  I want to know the details and so far no source has leaked it.   

9 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Originally sources were saying this merger approval was to be announced today (Wednesday), now I'm reading tomorrow??   I hope we don't have to wait any longer...  I want to know the details and so far no source has leaked it.   

Same here. The devils' in the details. I just hope they did not give up too much to get it approved. I also hope they got a great price for the divested assets. I would have preferred that the matter was settled in the courts because then you have legal clarity instead of the severe arm twisting for political purposes that took place.

Edited by bigsnake49

Same here. The devils' in the details. I just hope they did not give up too much to get it approved. I also hope they got a great price for the divested assets. I would have preferred that the matter was settled in the courts because then you have legal clarity instead of the severe arm twisting for political purposes that took place.

Look I’ll be frank I really don’t care a whole lot anymore. And I don’t give one damn about 5G. If the marriage is consummated between the two carriers great if not it’s not the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Hope this is for real, would be nice. Just hope they allow phones that are capable of using T-Mobile's bands to use the network ASAP.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/07/24/dish-reportedly-agrees-5-billion-deal-with-sprint-and-t-mobile-for-wireless-spectrum-and-prepaid-businesses/

Edited by BlueAngel
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Hope this is for real, would be nice. Just hope they allow phones that are capable of using T-Mobile's bands to use the network ASAP.

Same here. I do have an MB which helps Sprint's coverage inside my condo but man, they really screwed up the pooch by removing a macro site in my neighborhood where they were colocated with T-Mobile. T-Mobile is fine inside my place as is everybody else. Everyone has a black hole by my side of the bed, except for the MB assisted Sprint.

23 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Same here. I do have an MB which helps Sprint's coverage inside my condo but man, they really screwed up the pooch by removing a macro site in my neighborhood where they were colocated with T-Mobile. T-Mobile is fine inside my place as is everybody else. Everyone has a black hole by my side of the bed, except for the MB assisted Sprint.

I have great service at my house and everywhere I go but I just want the best service possible.

T-Mobile's network is awfully congested in Seattle. And terribly optimized. It baffles me that with at least 1.5-2x the sites Sprint has, T-Mobile can’t provide an experience as consistent as Sprint's. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

T-Mobile's network is awfully congested in Seattle. And terribly optimized. It baffles me that with at least 1.5-2x the sites Sprint has, T-Mobile can’t provide an experience as consistent as Sprint's. 

Then it will probably be better for T-Mobile customers in Seattle soon, assuming they can access Sprint's bands. According to Bloomberg, Dish is paying $1.5B for Boost and $3.5B for spectrum.

Edited by bigsnake49

That 2.5 is sure gonna speed things up in Seattle for TMO. As much as most deny tmo needed this merger bad

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Then it will probably be better for T-Mobile customers in Seattle soon, assuming they can access Sprint's bands.

Just now, tyroned3222 said:

That 2.5 is sure gonna speed things up in Seattle for TMO. As much as most deny tmo needed this merger bad

T-Mobile needs this merger a lot more then Sprint here. I'm hoping they don't mess the network up here if it goes through. There are a lot of places where Sprint and T-Mobile have sites within 100 feet of each other, but the Sprint site provides significantly better coverage. I'm hoping those don't get decommissioned. 

40 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Looks like dish bought 800mhz band 26 and must support E-Sim .. all newer phones will be moved over the tmo network immediately

Source?

51 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Looks like dish bought 800mhz band 26 and must support E-Sim .. all newer phones will be moved over the tmo network immediately

I thought they would do something with band 26. Too many bands to support otherwise. I wonder what will happen to band 12? How long are they going to keep that around? Or will they purchase the rest of band 12 from AT&T? I feel that this is not the end of spectrum horse trading.

Edited by bigsnake49

15 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Source?

Dish would be required to offer cellphone service to consumers. It would pay $1.4 billion for Sprint’s customer accounts, most of which come from its Boost Mobile prepaid brand, and $3.6 billion three years later to buy Sprint spectrum licenses in the 800 megahertz range, these people said.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/u-s-poised-to-approve-merger-of-t-mobile-sprint-11563967640

I thought they would do something with band 26. Too many bands to support otherwise. I wonder what will happen to band 12? How long are they going to keep that around? Or will they purchase the rest of band 12 from AT&T? I feel that this is not the end of spectrum horse trading.

For now tmo gets to keep all the spectrum expect band 26.. the divesture timeline is 3 years.. so, dish has 3 years to pay 3.6 billion to tmo for the spectrum

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

At least the purchase of band 26 isn’t for three more years. 

Well, according to wsj.com, this is not half as bad as I thought. It was one of the items that I thought that they would have to do on their own. Now the article says that "...the ability to operate on T-Mobile’s network during a seven-year transition period, some of the people said." I take that to mean that T-Mobile will have to host Dish's spectrum for a period of 7 years. Now AWS-3 and 600Mhz no problem. AWS-4 a bit more problematic. Also, how much if any is Dish going to pay T-Mobile for the hosting of the spectrum. 

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Someone please help me understand how Dish spectrum hosted by the New T-Mobile network will lead to increased competition in the industry. I'm failing to recognize how they can charge substantially less for the same network, unless they cut profits or add debt, which doesn't seem sustainable.