Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

If I am Sprint/T-Mobile I will take my chances in the courts. All these concessions defeat the purpose of the merger.
Yeah the boost one is fine, the rest are so so.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm starting to think Delrahim doesn't want to be in the unpleasant position of saying yes or no to this deal. To this end he (and the DOJ?) are imposing increasingly onerous concessions in hopes that T-Mobile / Deutsch Telekom eventually opts to walk away.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 11:58 AM, bigsnake49 said:

Is this the same guy with the terrible track record?

Dish Is Near a $6 Billion Deal for T-Mobile, Sprint Assets https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-18/dish-is-said-to-near-6-billion-deal-for-t-mobile-sprint-assets

Hmmmmmm.....

The divestures seem very broad and may be a hard pill to swallow. I watched Charlie’s segment on fox business and he said dish may get some spectrum and some spectrum may go on the open market.. he says this is by the hour now and could fall apart as a lot of parties have to agree like SoftBank/ DT ETC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

The divestures seem very broad and may be a hard pill to swallow. I watched Charlie’s segment on fox business and he said dish may get some spectrum and some spectrum may go on the open market.. he says this is by the hour now and could fall apart as a lot of parties have to agree like SoftBank/ DT ETC

Tyrone...   Nobody, including Craig Moffet knows what the details are, ... as do none of us.    Until the details are clearly released in public, this is all nothing but speculation.  We don't know how much spectrum will have to be giving up or even if any.   They make great news headlines for the investment markets and help give Moffet a paycheck.   

Until the DOJ makes a damned overly long awaited decision and publicly announces, we are just rubbing the crystal ball.   I happened to knock mine over and it broke hitting the floor thank goodness!      At this rate, if the DOJ announces, it will be Friday at 4pm in the afternoon.  

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 4

Dish could be a smaller carrier like a Freedom Mobile in Canada.

Right now they have their own spectrum but not the customers or the network yet. They can be given a roam-like-home agreement on the New T-Mobile network while they build out their own.

• Like 2

If that is true, it could also help the New T Mobile as Dish's spectrum could possibly be shared as well.    Dish will take a few years to get enough of their own towers and equipment to run on their own.

• Like 1

Dish could be a smaller carrier like a Freedom Mobile in Canada.
Right now they have their own spectrum but not the customers or the network yet. They can be given a roam-like-home agreement on the New T-Mobile network while they build out their own.
Couldn't they use the existing Sprint infrastructure saving TMO and Sprint the cost of decommissioning?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Couldn't they use the existing Sprint infrastructure saving TMO and Sprint the cost of decommissioning?

And buying some of the network equipment?

• Like 3

Sounds like a win-win situation to me if that does happen.  And best of all, it gives the combined company some extra (possibly $6 Billion) to really get integration work done quickly. 

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

According to this article from Reuters, T-Mobile may auction Boost if the rumored Dish $6B deal does not come about. One of the details that might need to be ironed is whether the prospective buyers will be given an infrastructure based MVNO deal where the MVNO has a lot more control over the network. Also there is still a lot of uncertainty over whether the deal will include any spectrum or not. I am totally against spectrum. I am all for T-Mobile to offer to host Dish's 600MHz and AWS-3 spectrum as part of the Boost deal. They can do that with minimum cost. Their AWS-4 spectrum might need some work and can be postponed for later. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobile-us-exclusive/exclusive-t-mobile-prepares-for-boost-auction-if-dish-network-talks-stall-sources-idUSKCN1TK34K

• Like 2

Isn’t today the day that the shot clock expires on the Sprint and T-Mobile merger?

If so will a decision be made today?

The lawsuits will likely delay it. Could go as far out as the fall.

• Like 1

DOJ has no "shot clock"...you're thinking of the FCC Shot Clock.   Sources close to the DOJ say it was to be either today or by next week....   Not Fall.       Nothing about this case has gone as planned.  So it is anyone's guess. 

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 2

I'm guessing we'll have a new president before this decision happens and then it will get delayed more 🙄. I just wish they would make a decision, I think either outcome will have pros and cons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:

From that article, "In this scenario, Dish would provide some spectrum to T-Mobile and then T-Mo would give Dish access to capacity on its network for wireless service. This would enable Dish to offer cellphone service while also saving it some cash since it wouldn’t have to build a network from scratch."

Exactly what I have been saying for a while now. 600MHz and AWS-3 can be deployed right away, AWS-4 will be implemented as part of 5G deployment. Maybe they can convince Comcast to throw in their 600Mhz spectrum. 

• Like 2

From that article, "In this scenario, Dish would provide some spectrum to T-Mobile and then T-Mo would give Dish access to capacity on its network for wireless service. This would enable Dish to offer cellphone service while also saving it some cash since it wouldn’t have to build a network from scratch."
Exactly what I have been saying for a while now. 600MHz and AWS-3 can be deployed right away, AWS-4 will be implemented as part of 5G deployment. Maybe they can convince Comcast to throw in their 600Mhz spectrum. 

Yup

And dish doesn’t throw away 20billion in spectrum.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

Yup

And dish doesn’t throw away 20billion in spectrum.

Well only AWS-4 is in danger. Maybe 700MHz block E. They should sell that to AT&T and get some money towards the purchase of Boost.

This solution is a win-win-win situation for T-Mobile/Dish/FCC/DOJ.

I am hoping there is no spectrum concessions on the part of T-Mobile.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Ajit Pai's remarks to the NY Wireless assoc:

“When it comes to mid-band 5G, one of the most critical steps that the FCC can take is to approve the T-Mobile/Sprint transaction,” Pai said in prepared remarks before the New York State Wireless Association. He said that although Sprint has tremendous mid-band spectrum resources, “the record before the FCC makes clear that the company standing alone does not have the capacity to deploy 5G in this spectrum throughout large parts of rural America. On the other hand, if the T-Mobile/Sprint transaction is approved, the combined company will have the capacity to do just that. Indeed, they have committed to the FCC that they will deploy mid-band 5G to 88% of our nation’s population, including two-third of rural Americans. And there would be significant financial penalties if these commitments were not met. We should seize this opportunity to provide 5G to rural America and close the digital divide.”

“Make no mistake about it, government officials trying to block this transaction are working to stop many upstate New Yorkers and other rural Americans from getting access to fast mobile broadband and all of the benefits that come with it,” Pai said. “As former FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn recently put it, ‘Particularly for those on the wrong side of the digital divide, this lawsuit by a small number of state attorneys general would reinforce an unacceptable status quo.’

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20190625/policy/fcc-chairman-criticizes-state-ags-lawsuit-to-block-sprint-t-mo-merger

• Like 1

Read this the other day... I believe Pai issued it Tuesday ....   Makes perfect sense.    I don't get why there is so much "convincing" having to go on at the DOJ?   Pai and Makan had lunch and discussed.     This whole thing has been just crazy.     With Charley (Dish) now stirring the pot, and his known in-flexibility....  this can just be a waste of money and time.... The addition of a "4th player" should have never been suggested.      If and when this is finally completed, how fast do you think T Mob will get running?   

Edited by dro1984

31 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Read this the other day... I believe Pai issued it Tuesday ....   Makes perfect sense.    I don't get why there is so much "convincing" having to go on at the DOJ?   Pai and Makan had lunch and discussed.     This whole thing has been just crazy.     With Charley (Dish) now stirring the pot, and his known in-flexibility....  this can just be a waste of money and time.... The addition of a "4th player" should have never been suggested.      If and when this is finally completed, how fast do you think T Mob will get running?   

It all depends on how your frame the competition and other questions. Traditionally there are four national carriers.  If you go by profit, there are two national carriers.  If you go by internet data, you need to have the national and regional wireless carriers, the sizable ISPs, and satellite internet and WISP providers.

Are you looking at urban or rural away from major highways?  Cheapest price or most competition throughout the country?  Is 5G actually important?  Will Sprint survive/thrive? How long?

This may be too many questions to ponder for most people.  Perhaps the lunatics are running the asylum. It should be ask as to why they allowed Verizon and AT&T to become so dominate without antitrust.

• Like 2