Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Dish trying to pull strings to influence at FCC and DOJ meeting during past week.      (Yahoo News/Reuters)

So Charley is crying and kicking to FCC and "Certain members of the DOJ" cause now he says Dish can't build out their spectrum because of the Sprint and T Mobile merger.   WTF?    Charley says there needs to be 4 players in the cellular market.   

Why?  Is Sprint and T mobile strong arming him?   This is new levels of preposterous!  Why don't they throw this clown out on his ears! 

Again, from Market Watch:

Dish Network discusses opposition to Sprint-T-Mobile U.S. merger, according to FCC file

Where's that damn bucket of popcorn!!??    :dead:

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Dish trying to pull strings to influence at FCC and DOJ meeting during past week.      (Yahoo News/Reuters)

So Charley is crying and kicking to FCC and "Certain members of the DOJ" cause now he says Dish can't build out their spectrum because of the Sprint and T Mobile merger.   WTF?    Charley says there needs to be 4 players in the cellular market.   

Why?  Is Sprint and T mobile strong arming him?   This is new levels of preposterous!  Why don't they throw this clown out on his ears! 

Again, from Market Watch:

Dish Network discusses opposition to Sprint-T-Mobile U.S. merger, according to FCC file

No they are not strong arming him but he will probably lose a potential customer for his spectrum in T-Mobile if it merges with Sprint. He has absolutely no intention to deploy a nationwide network and he is just a spectrum speculator.  I blame the FCC in allowing him to amass spectrum that he has no intention deploying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Good, get it over with quickly.

Quick and legal proceedings generally don't go together.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Two potential reasons that I can think of for Dish to be against this.

1. If Sprint and T-Mobile merge, then that's one less carrier that's gonna need Dish's spectrum down the line. Instead of it being T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T who will need mid-band spectrum, it'll only be Verizon and AT&T. 

2. Dish is probably hoping that they can swoop in and pick up Sprint for a decent price if the deal gets shut down so that they can acquire the customers and spectrum and work from there. But I think they'd be facing stiff competition from Cable Co's with deep pockets like Comcast and Charter.

Two potential reasons that I can think of for Dish to be against this.
1. If Sprint and T-Mobile merge, then that's one less carrier that's gonna need Dish's spectrum down the line. Instead of it being T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T who will need mid-band spectrum, it'll only be Verizon and AT&T. 
2. Dish is probably hoping that they can swoop in and pick up Sprint for a decent price if the deal gets shut down so that they can acquire the customers and spectrum and work from there. But I think they'd be facing stiff competition from Cable Co's with deep pockets like Comcast and Charter.
I don't why Dish is a bad thing if merger doesn't happen?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

I don't why Dish is a bad thing if merger doesn't happen?

They don't have any money. They spent it all on spectrum.

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Quick and legal proceedings generally don't go together.

They do if the states don't have legal standing to sue in federal court which in this case they don't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

Well looks like dish has money somewhere after all

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-sprint-t-mobile-merger-talks-power-shifts-to-a-familiar-agitator-11560544163?redirect=amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They just want to hoard more spectrum. They should make an unrelated concession that Dish must give up all spectrum assets if the merger falls through. 

They just want to hoard more spectrum. They should make an unrelated concession that Dish must give up all spectrum assets if the merger falls through. 

They can’t this time: The FCC/DOJ would put crazy requirements on this one and big fines.. dish would be the 4th player

4 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Well looks like dish has money somewhere after all

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-sprint-t-mobile-merger-talks-power-shifts-to-a-familiar-agitator-11560544163?redirect=amp

As long as they also buy Sprint's network assets and not just the spectrum and the prepaid subscribers. Dish does not need more spectrum. They need a network. Or have their spectrum hosted by the New T-Mobile.

Do any of the experts around here how much of the Sprint network assets will be reusable by another carrier, eg the mythical 4th player, let's call them Dish?

1. EPC

2. eNodeB

3. RRH

4. Routers

5. Back-end infrastructure (customer facing and internal business servers)

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Do any of the experts around here how much of the Sprint network assets will be reusable by another carrier, eg the mythical 4th player, let's call them Dish?

1. EPC

2. eNodeB

3. RRH

4. Routers

5. Back-end infrastructure (customer facing and internal business servers)

2/3/4 definitely. 1 is questionable. 5 would likely have to be redone. 

More sources are coming forth. It seems that the deal could still fall apart, as the concession may be borderline extreme(imo). It depends at what cost they are willing to make this merger happen

The concession package looks to consist of:

Post paid subscribers

Boost prepaid

Spectrum: more than likely band 41

Price guarantees

favorable mvno agreements

Coverage expansion into rural

And mandate dates

To me that’s extreme !!! What do you guys think

https://twitter.com/cgasparino/status/1140301534825209856?s=21

25 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

More sources are coming forth. It seems that the deal could still fall apart, as the concession may be borderline extreme(imo). It depends at what cost they are willing to make this merger happen

Post paid subscribers

Boost prepaid

Price guarantees

And mandate dates

To me that’s extreme !!! What do you guys think

https://twitter.com/cgasparino/status/1140301534825209856?s=21

I find it personally enjoyable to watch them pile on concessions for once.

It almost looks like an attempt to weaken the combined company to prevent any real competition for V and ATT.
Which is crap

22 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Which is crap

You may be right.

I just thought that the New TMobile would still have less customers, less towers, less low band, less backhaul and less available cash.  If true, then wouldn't that translates into a higher cost of business per unit of income, already?  Just asking.

2 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

Post paid subscribers

Boost prepaid

Price guarantees

And mandate dates

Making them give up any band 41 spectrum just completely defeats the purpose of the merger.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

It almost looks like an attempt to weaken the combined company to prevent any real competition for V and ATT.

I was thinking the same thing. For Sprint and T-Mobile to combine, they need to become a weaker 3rd player which in turns defeats the purpose of this entire merger. If the government wants the US to be a leader in 5G then they shouldn't need to divest any spectrum. The government either doesn't see it that way or they don't care. Sometimes I would really like to slap some sense into certain people.

• Like 3

I absolutely agree! [emoji106]
I was thinking the same thing. For Sprint and T-Mobile to combine, they need to become a weaker 3rd player which in turns defeats the purpose of this entire merger. If the government wants the US to be a leader in 5G then they shouldn't need to divest any spectrum. The government either doesn't see it that way or they don't care. Sometimes I would really like to slap some sense into certain people.
My personal opinion...Verizon and AT&T have a lot of sway with the politicians. Both Verizon and AT&T have a ton of money [emoji385] and both most likely make large campaign donations.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4