Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

A little bit more technical detail on how ENDC methodology will work for Sprint:

"So what is ENDC? ENDC stands for E-UTRAN New Radio – Dual Connectivity, in standards parlance. According to 3GPP standards documents, ENDC allows user equipment to connect to an LTE enodeB that acts as a master node and a 5G gnodeB that acts as a secondary node. For Sprint, ENDC will allow devices to access both LTE and 5G simultaneously on the same spectrum band: Band 41/2.5 GHz."

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20190528/5g/what-is-endc

As I understand it, ENDC is an intermediate step to DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) in that ENDC the spectrum is shared statically (e.g., 3x20Mhz for LTE and 3x20Mhz for 5GNR). DSS dynamically allocates spectrum between the two technologies based on demand.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

While we are looking at technical aspects, 5G NR may also eliminate issues with B41 upload speeds where TDD can effectively vary its download upload ratio based on demand: https://www.ericsson.com/en/ericsson-technology-review/archive/2017/designing-for-the-future-the-5g-nr-physical-layer Basically this would have made B41 even more attractive to T-Mobile.  How Sprint has chosen to implement 5G on B41 should be known in a few days.

Due to likely propagation issues, Verizon has chosen to use a lower frequency for its uploads when using its mmWave 5G, so we can not use them to easily determine whether 5G NR can vary its download upload ratio (but they could be using it to prevent wasted spectrum). AT&T's 5G is invitation only, T-Mobile's is in field test.

Uhhh boy...  Where does this madness stop?!   Really?!   Set up a 4th competitor?! What???   
U.S. Wants T-Mobile to Create New Competitor as Part of Deal
Is it possible to keep Sprint then but let them Merge but still Merger the networks and shutdown CDMA liked planned. Basically you could get a plan for TMO or Sprint but the phone runs off the combined network using all bands? 2/25,4/66,12,26,71

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Uhhh boy...  Where does this madness stop?!   Really?!   Set up a 4th competitor?! What???   
It would stretch spectrum resources even more thinly. The resources would be more scarce. I'm against that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m not shocked at that. When news broke that they were planning to let go of boost I immediately thought, “boost could be player #4.” They already have millions of subs as is. Then it kills the argument of less choice. Downside is we’ll now have a smaller player at a “disadvantage” that Sprint and T-Mobile are complaining about currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think the whole entire suggestion of the 2 smallest carriers create a competitor is absurd!   

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 5

I think the whole entire suggestion of the 2 smallest carriers create a competitor is absurd!   
Pretty much is

• Like 1

It is and it could very well be a another way of saying we don’t want this deal.. if this is true, more than spectrum will be needed to create a 4th player. It think it needs spectrum for urban/suburban area 60mhz of 2.5 and some low band and for no one coverage area a roaming deal with the new tmo network will need to be made.

It is and it could very well be a another way of saying we don’t want this deal.. if this is true, more than spectrum will be needed to create a 4th player. It think it needs spectrum for urban/suburban area 60mhz of 2.5 and some low band and for no one coverage area a roaming deal with the new tmo network will need to be made.

It's going to strain spectrum resources if another carrier is created. They should divest some spectrum.

It's going to strain spectrum resources if another carrier is created. They should divest some spectrum.

Yup, if tmo wants the deal that bad spectrum will have to be divested even low band with a mix of 2.5 .. and then the new tmo will have to enable roaming on its network at a good wholesale price

Yup, if tmo wants the deal that bad spectrum will have to be divested even low band with a mix of 2.5 .. and then the new tmo will have to enable roaming on its network at a good wholesale price

I actually 100% agree with you. if this merger is approved then I want TMobile to cough up quite a bit of spectrum and maybe even some cellular infrastructure tossed in there as well plus what you said with the roaming agreement.

Which defeats the Merger as 5G will need 100 mhz of spectrum tops

Well there should not be a monopoly on the spectrum or any other parts this

Yup! So, if this report is accurate it’s another way of saying we don’t want this deal, but if you want it that bad this is what we are willing to take

Yup! So, if this report is accurate it’s another way of saying we don’t want this deal, but if you want it that bad this is what we are willing to take

All of that is just rumors giving to spectrum has not actually been talked about

All of that is just rumors giving to spectrum has not actually been talked about 

Yes for now, but if this is accurate it will take more than just spectrum to create a 4th player.. infrastructure, maybe giving up customers, a favorable roaming deal, giving up stores, employees , who knows this could be a big concessions

This could be DOJ just trying to "approve" the merger knowing T-Mobile will reject it, which then may trigger $600 Million for Sprint.

IMO the time to have worried about four competitive carriers is when AT&T and Verizon have been allowed to obtain mmWave firms and their prior round of significant acquisitions.

We will just have to wait for more details :popcorn:

• Like 3

Altice should just be number 4, they are already using Sprint's network for their wireless offerings.  Spin off some PCS, BRS, and 800MHz and let Altice go at it. 

This could be DOJ just trying to "approve" the merger knowing T-Mobile will reject it, which then may trigger $600 Million for Sprint.
IMO the time to have worried about four competitive carriers is when AT&T and Verizon have been allowed to obtain mmWave firms and their prior round of significant acquisitions.

Yup that’s what this is imo: no way they agree to this
top Justice Department officials want T-Mobile and Sprint to create a full-fledged national carrier to get approval for the merger. The new carrier wouldn't be an NVMO that rents T-Mobile's network, either; it would be its own independent network with its own infrastructure. In other words, a new competitor would be created to fill Sprint's current role.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Didn't think about it that way. Well deduced! 

10 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

Hell no, there is a player right now with lots of spectrum, Dish. They better force them to either deploy their spectrum or sell it.

• Like 2

There will be no spectrum divestitures. This is some hack over at Bloomberg being creative. However they could insert some vague language in the agreement saying that the new T-Mobile will give Dish favorable hosting terms.

• Like 4

A spectrum divestiture wouldn't make sense because that would defeat the purpose of the merger. Sprint and T-Mobile want to build the best 5G network in the U.S. and they can't if they're handicapped out of the gate.

I still think the best course of action if they want to build "5G for All" would be to follow in the footsteps of Bell and Telus and collaborate on building a 5G network that both carriers use. It would take a lot of work but it's absolutely doable and we wouldn't lose a carrier in the process.