Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

Correct, but that will all take time.. the fastest way to migrate customer is to move over and add sprints midband spectrum.. than focus on the the band 41 part of it.. some sites may not be able to handle all the weight( lot to factor in).. we have wooden sites now that can’t handle more than band 4 here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of wooden sites.

Yup, they exist . Got quiet a few of them here .. one site so far has been done. And they had to build a new tower next to the wooden tower and move the equipment over to the newly built site.. most of them have a waiting period most sites are built with 10 years leases.. so they usually wait until the lease is up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All those bands minus  band 41 cannot handle the influx of Sprint customers. T-mobile's network is already congested in some places. I am willing to bet that band 41 will be split between 4G and 5G at first with a static allocation and as the network is integrated and all the sites have to be visited they will probably implement DSS (dynamic spectrum sharing) between 4G and 5G.

I think all those bands minus band 41 would handle the influx of Sprint customers.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

In Albemarle County, VA, and Nelson County, VA, many sites, especially along highways, are on wooden poles for both aesthetic reasons (harder to see) and because the terrain is so rough that anything more than that would be a waste of money.  But it means that in many areas, the bands in use are limited, including, for Shentel, sites that are Band 25-only, for example.

- Trip

• Like 1

I think all those bands minus band 41 would handle the influx of Sprint customers.

If you add Sprints additional PCS along with B26 it would help. Unlike Sprint TMO will aggregate B26. In my area New Tmobile will have enough total PCS spectrum for 20x20,10x10 and 5x5. All that is when 2G and H+ are shutdown. With those still there then 10x10 will be 2 5x5's

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, clbowens said:

After the TMobile/Sprint merger is approved, and TMobile transfers B41 to 5G only, will Magic Boxes become useless?

Pretty much, unless the backhaul is B25 which will be probably congested.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Pretty much, unless the backhaul is B25 which will be probably congested.

Magic Boxes can fall back to B25 if B41 is not available from the macro network.  Sprint B25 will be combined with T-Mobile B2 and will very likely use MFBI. Using MFBI, B2 can broadcast simultaneously as B2 and B25.  New T-Mobile should have a very large amount of bandwidth available for the combined 1900mhz B2/25. The big question is: will New T-Mobile reserve the 20mhz of B41 bandwidth necessary for Magic Boxes to broadcast their own B41?

24 minutes ago, radem said:

The big question is: will New T-Mobile reserve the 20mhz of B41 bandwidth necessary for Magic Boxes to broadcast their own B41?

This is what I was wondering. My box runs on a single b25 carrier and pretty much doubles what we get at our house. It is a great fall back just in case. 

Magic Boxes can fall back to B25 if B41 is not available from the macro network.  Sprint B25 will be combined with T-Mobile B2 and will very likely use MFBI. Using MFBI, B2 can broadcast simultaneously as B2 and B25.  New T-Mobile should have a very large amount of bandwidth available for the combined 1900mhz B2/25. The big question is: will New T-Mobile reserve the 20mhz of B41 bandwidth necessary for Magic Boxes to broadcast their own B41?
yes they will. My area will have a total of 20x20,10x10 and 5x5. That's all with CDMA and H+ being shutdown

1 hour ago, radem said:

The big question is: will New T-Mobile reserve the 20mhz of B41 bandwidth necessary for Magic Boxes to broadcast their own B41?

They certainly can. 100Mhz of Band 41 can provide several hundreds of Mbps of throughput. They can aggregate it with their mmWave holdings in certain cities for gigabit speeds.

• Like 1

They certainly can. 100Mhz of Band 41 can provide several hundreds of Mbps of throughput. They can aggregate it with their mmWave holdings in certain cities for gigabit speeds.
Will TMO also aggregated it will LTE to help with upload speeds?

2 hours ago, radem said:

I hope not. IMO, the Magicbox has been the product of Sprint further wasting spectrum. They should have deployed all of it by now.

T-Mobile should just move forward with their Cellspot option on B4.

I hope not. IMO, the Magicbox has been the product of Sprint further wasting spectrum. They should have deployed all of it by now.
They don't even provision the backhaul at many sites to fully utilize the B41 on air. There's no point in putting even more on air if they don't give it enough backhaul.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenbastard said:

Deployment of all of the spectrum would have led to a headache for Sprint when it came time to deploy 5G. Imagine Sprint having to explain to their entire user base why their speeds dropped by 50% seemingly overnight because they need to use it for 5G. When T-Mobile switched from AWS to PCS HSPA+ they started off by seeding the user base with PCS HSPA capable devices, something that Sprint can't do since there are only 2 5G devices that can be used on Sprint today and the launch is in 3 days. 

What I think Sprint should've done by now across the country is TDD-FDD carrier aggregation between Band 41 and Band 25/26.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

They don't even provision the backhaul at many sites to fully utilize the B41 on air. There's no point in putting even more on air if they don't give it enough backhaul.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just by supplying more backhaul during the transition, T-Mobile would get far more performance out of Sprint sites.

• Like 1

Deployment of all of the spectrum would have led to a headache for Sprint when it came time to deploy 5G. Imagine Sprint having to explain to their entire user base why their speeds dropped by 50% seemingly overnight because they need to use it for 5G. When T-Mobile switched from AWS to PCS HSPA+ they started off by seeding the user base with PCS HSPA capable devices, something that Sprint can't do since there are only 2 5G devices that can be used on Sprint today and the launch is in 3 days. 
What I think Sprint should've done by now across the country is TDD-FDD carrier aggregation between Band 41 and Band 25/26.

Tmobile will likely do that tho. They could even do B41 5GNR aggregated with there FDD LTE to help with upload

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Just by supplying more backhaul during the transition, T-Mobile would get far more performance out of Sprint sites.

BINGO.  Totally correct. Why fire up multiple B-41 carriers and not sufficient backhaul to allow full loading of the carriers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

Tmobile will likely do that tho. They could even do B41 5GNR aggregated with there FDD LTE to help with upload

Sprint could do this too and they are not at least where I can see it.  It has been talked about, but I do not see it on my S-9.

Sprint could do this too and they are not at least where I can see it.  It has been talked about, but I do not see it on my S-9.
Some things are just wrong with Sprint. People with the Sprint model have seen B25+26 CA yet the unlocked model can't access it. No option in the debug menu. Only Sprint does that. 25-25+26 would make way more since then just one B25. I've seen the others do 3 laa tdd carriers with one or even two FDD carriers. I've seen as high as 5xca on Att. On TMO,vzw and att carrier locked and unlocked models all get the same CA combos

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Some things are just wrong with Sprint. People with the Sprint model have seen B25+26 CA yet the unlocked model can't access it. No option in the debug menu. Only Sprint does that. 25-25+26 would make way more since then just one B25. I've seen the others do 3 laa tdd carriers with one or even two FDD carriers. I've seen as high as 5xca on Att. On TMO,vzw and att carrier locked and unlocked models all get the same CA combos

Boom. This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

52 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Yep, I have the UNLOCKED S-9.   The option for several CA options just are not there.  This should not happen, Sprint allows it to happen. You can blame Samsung, You can blame Sprint, you can blame both. They just do not look too smart at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, radem said:

The Magic Box concept is very interesting.  It is basically and end run around zoning issues for small cells and allows Sprint to address issues with certain building types: stucco, full brick (modern veneer brick is normally ok) and concrete structures.  Plus Magic Boxes are self-install. 

T-Mobile's approach has been to run cable or fiber to medium-sized buildings where large numbers of people gather which are in RF shadows where they do not have small cells.  Then they install Nokia equipment that supplies about 10-15Mbps each for a large number of people.

For small cells, T-Mobile goes all fiber.

No doubt many small cells will have to be relocated and will likely be fiber supplied.  Magic Boxes make more sense for many buildings (LEEDS and larger buildings excepted.)  Why not allow Magic Boxes to use other frequencies and/or 5G NR B41?  With 194Mhz of B41 in some metro areas (that is 9 - 20Mhz [19.8 actually] plus 15Mhz plus extra for buffering).  So IMO keep the concept, upgrade the boxes.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, chamb said:

Yep, I have the UNLOCKED S-9.   The option for several CA options just are not there.  This should not happen, Sprint allows it to happen. You can blame Samsung, You can blame Sprint, you can blame both. They just do not look too smart at all.

50 minutes ago, though said:

Boom. This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

Sprint is operating in a similar fashion to nTelos.  They have some money that they raised or was dedicated to accomplish certain purposes which they are rushing to finish.  It would not surprise me if some of the items that they have recently installed never become publicly available. While I firmly believe Samsung had manufacturing difficulties with the S10, Sprint's network hodgepodge can not be fully exonerated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Sprint is operating in a similar fashion to nTelos.  ...  It would not surprise me if some of the items that they have recently installed never become publicly available. While I firmly believe Samsung had manufacturing difficulties with the S10, Sprint's network hodgepodge can not be fully exonerated.

This is exactly my feelings ... I've said before Sprint spends money (wastes) and either never fully utilizes it (installed equipment etc...) or never finishes.   Hodgepodge is a good name for it.   Customer left holding the empty bag of promises with equipment (headsets) that cannot fully work as intended mostly due to incomplete network and continuously changing directives.  Hopefully soon this will all change.   

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 2