Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

Or sue the DOJ and win in the courts. I don't think the DOJ wants to lose again like they did in the AT&T Time Warner deal.

I don't think the DOJ will lose this time.

• Like 3

Well that changed fast. I wonder what else they could want when it comes to antitrust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry ... Meant to quote this in my reply

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well that changed fast. I wonder what else they could want when it comes to antitrust?

If the DOJ wants to sue and if the reporting is accurate. It’s not because of concessions those comes from the FCC ( the DOj has no clue about spectrum etc..) it would be simply just an anti-trust/ Clayton act issue ( the doj just not accepting the us to go from 4 to 3 carriers) and a hard one to overcome if the reporting is accurate.. If DOJ sue ( this time based on the lose against att) I think they have a strong case to win and it will be up to sprint and tmo to see if they wanna spend resources and time fighting in court

16 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

If the DOJ wants to sue and if the reporting is accurate. It’s not because of concessions those comes from the FCC ( the DOj has no clue about spectrum etc..) it would be simply just an anti-trust/ Clayton act issue ( the doj just not accepting the us to go from 4 to 3 carriers) and a hard one to overcome if the reporting is accurate.. If DOJ sue ( this time based on the lose against att) I think they have a strong case to win and it will be up to sprint and tmo to see if they wanna spend resources and time fighting in court

They have absolutely no case if they sue on anti-trust grounds. None!!! If they sue on anti-competitive grounds the T-mobile/Sprint conglomerate can say that we have to have enough money to invest in the business and make a profit so we reserve the right to raise raise prices after the 3 years we promised the FCC. Why don't you limit Verizon's and AT&T's profit if you want lower prices? Lower prices is the reason why Sprint is in the shape it is in, financially and network wise.  I wish I was the guy representing Sprint/T-Mobile in a court case that was brought in by the DOJ. I would shred them!!!

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

They have absolutely no case if they sue on anti-trust. None!!!

If the DOJ firmly believes that this merger goes against the Clayton act they will create a case and push the ball into tmo and sprints court to see if they want to fight in court or if they back out

Basing this on the Clayton act:

there is really no price protection for the consumer

After 3 years prices are a fair game maybe even before

6 months in a major shake up in upper management is already expected to happen.

After merger is done, there isn’t really anything to hold them accountable

I see DOJ as asking for more concessions.  If they just deny it, they risk Trump overruling them.  More concessions can be equated to being better negotiators to some people. 

The FCC Chair laid out valid political reasons for approval for this administration.  This allows the FCC to take any heat over the next few weeks, which DOJ can in some way address in concessions if desired.  The only other constituency that may matter is any state Attorney General, and I am not certain what they can really do to a national firm, which presumably fails under interstate commerce. Still worth not having them as enemies if reasonable.

I see DOJ as asking for more concessions.  If they just deny it, they risk Trump overruling them.  More concessions can be equated to being better negotiators to some people. 

The FCC Chair laid out valid political reasons for approval for this administration.  This allows the FCC to take any heat over the next few weeks, which DOJ can in some way address in concessions if desired.  The only other constituency that may matter is any state Attorney General, and I am not certain what they can really do to a national firm, which presumably fails under interstate commerce. Still worth not having them as enemies if reasonable.

DOj doesn’t deal with concession it’s the FCC.. there is even a huge penalty to pay of some sort if the new tmo doesn’t apply by the terms reached.. If the reports are true and not put out by career people that are salty.. than the DOJ really just can’t accept the us going from 4 to 3 carries .. is that a strong enough case to hold up in court? Maybe not, but it will sure make sprint/tmo think about if they wanna spend more time on this in court or do they back out

Penalties for broken promises

So what happens if the New T-Mobile fails to deliver on any of the obligations outlined here? In their letter to the FCC, T-Mobile and Sprint say they'll agree to an "unprecedented" amount of verification and enforcement. "Failure to meet New T-Mobile obligations will trigger severe, increasing, and continuing voluntary contributions that will make failure prohibitively expensive and incentivize New T-Mobile to meet its commitments," the companies said

7 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

Penalties for broken promises

So what happens if the New T-Mobile fails to deliver on any of the obligations outlined here? In their letter to the FCC, T-Mobile and Sprint say they'll agree to an "unprecedented" amount of verification and enforcement. "Failure to meet New T-Mobile obligations will trigger severe, increasing, and continuing voluntary contributions that will make failure prohibitively expensive and incentivize New T-Mobile to meet its commitments," the companies said

Emphasis mine.  Cool, so no penalties.  Got it.

- Trip

• Like 3

DOJ seem to be undecided, but even if they approve it is looking like ny and California AGs are on board to sue if doj gives approval. With a few more states on board they would fully have the resources to fight this merger without the backing of the fcc or DOJ!! Hang tight this could get ugly fast

• Like 1

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18634195/t-mobile-sprint-merger-conditions-access-coverage

I find this to be a valid point. New T-Mobile promises to expand coverage but there is no easy way to test if that is actually occurring.

Given the US government’s history of terrible service maps, confirming T-Mobile adhered to its promises would be an uphill climb, even for a third-party auditor. The government has only a fleeting idea where service currently is, making tracking improvement difficult.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18634195/t-mobile-sprint-merger-conditions-access-coverage I find this to be a valid point. New T-Mobile promises to expand coverage but there is no easy way to test if that is actually occurring.

Given the US government’s history of terrible service maps, confirming T-Mobile adhered to its promises would be an uphill climb, even for a third-party auditor. The government has only a fleeting idea where service currently is, making tracking improvement difficult.

The FCC says there will be heavy fines if it doesn't happen and I think they should really enforce those fines heavily. Also wouldn't it be a waste to buy up 600 mhz over the whole country and not use it over the whole country along with an the other spectrum?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The FCC says there will be heavy fines if it doesn't happen and I think they should really enforce those fines heavily.

I'm just waiting and watching to see what happens before I make any further comments. The only comment I have it this time is that this is interesting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm just waiting and watching to see what happens before I make any further comments. The only comment I have it this time is that this is interesting.

I agree have to give them a chance. Tmobile has added way more coverage then they had on the past.

I agree have to give them a chance. Tmobile has added way more coverage then they had on the past.

Yes TMobile has always been true to their word when it comes to coverage. But I still want to see what happens. So that's all I have to say :-)

Yes TMobile has always been true to their word when it comes to coverage. But I still want to see what happens. So that's all I have to say :-)

what will they do in South Dakota for 5G since Sprint doesn't own 2.5 there? Can't just do 600 mhz.

what will they do in South Dakota for 5G since Sprint doesn't own 2.5 there? Can't just do 600 mhz. 

That's my question. I don't know South Dakota's situation when it comes to spectrum with the carriers so I can't make any comments really.

That's my question. I don't know South Dakota's situation when it comes to spectrum with the carriers so I can't make any comments really.

If Sprint covered years ago they could have bought aws3 there but that wasn't a thought since they don't have the area

If Sprint covered years ago they could have bought aws3 there but that wasn't a thought since they don't have the area

Are you from South Dakota? If so whats the situation there with Sprint?

Are you from South Dakota? If so whats the situation there with Sprint? 

I'm not only been there on vacation. I just know that's a area where coverage needs to be added if Sprint ends up on there own. They can do 10x10+5x5 B25 then B26 5x5 

Hm ok and hows service there.

Roaming the whole state. When you first leave Minnesota there is some coverage but it goes to roaming.

Roaming the whole state. When you first leave Minnesota there is some coverage but it goes to roaming.

Which carrier for roaming?

Which carrier for roaming?

When I was there last I was still on boost so I only got vzw. However Tmobile and att are likely now for Sprint postpaid