Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

20 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

The question is what will New T-Mobile have to pay (in cash or spectrum).

Yep 😂. I am also wondering if the new T-Mobile will be willing to host Dish's 600MHz and band 66 holdings and Comcast's 600MHz holdings in exchange for capacity sharing. They already have the equipment up so why not? Win/win situation. Maybe FCC can threaten Dish with revocation of their licenses? 

Edited by bigsnake49

Well there's a lot of spectrum swapping to be done in the AWS-1/AWS-3 bands. Some of it will bleed over.
Any examples of where?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I thought this wouldn't ever go through but here we are...

How will this even work in terms of transition? Will existing devices just get to roam on the other network but not necessarily have access to it? I haven't paid attention to this stuff for like 2 years.. can phones with Sprint SIMs/CDMA ever access the GSM based tmobile network?

I thought this wouldn't ever go through but here we are...  

How will this even work in terms of transition? Will existing devices just get to roam on the other network but not necessarily have access to it? I haven't paid attention to this stuff for like 2 years.. can phones with Sprint SIMs/CDMA ever access the GSM based tmobile network?

Never said it wasn't going to go thru. As far as devices. Tons of devices work on both networks. Gsm is 2G voice and CDMA is voice and 3G and will be going away. The pcs part will be shutdown completely. 1x800 might stay for a while. Bands 2,4,66,12,71 will be there for TMO Customer's and 25,26,41 for Sprint Customers.  lots of phones have an those bands then they can use them all. iPhones even the 5S has B26. S8 and newer have them all accept 71. LG G8 has them all. Pixel, Motorola phones. One plus devices have them all.

7 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Never said it wasn't going to go thru. As far as devices. Tons of devices work on both networks. Gsm is 2G voice and CDMA is voice and 3G and will be going away. The pcs part will be shutdown completely. 1x800 might stay for a while. Bands 2,4,66,12,71 will be there for TMO Customer's and 25,26,41 for Sprint Customers.

So will this work like Google-Fi? or is this like a 3 year plan where they hope everyone gets new devices/new SIMs that can handle the 2 different networks? Or is it more likely that CDMA is sunsetted and GSM is what goes forward

So will this work like Google-Fi? or is this like a 3 year plan where they hope everyone gets new devices/new SIMs that can handle the 2 different networks? Or is it more likely that CDMA is sunsetted and GSM is what goes forward
They will merge the Networks. B25,26,41 on T-Mobile towers, 2,4,12,66,71 on Sprint sites. 2/25 will just be mfbi since they are both PC's spectrum. The combined company will be able to do more 20x20 carriers for 2/25. B25 only where it's C+G block.

11 minutes ago, cletus said:

At the end of the consolidation/merger process (which will likely take a few years) the T-Mobile network will become the only network, with its infrastructure and backbone being used. T-Mobile will add their equipment to select sites where Sprint has better locations and fills in gaps, and they'll use Sprint's bands on their equipment as they're able. However, the Sprint network will eventually be sunsetted, with all customers being on the T-Mobile network.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

CDMA will be sunsetted as quickly as possible. 1x800 will likely be Sprint's CDMAs last stand. Sprint does have many phones that have GSM, but they will need FCC testing first for use in the USA iirc, then firmware upgrades. Might be cheaper and/or better for T-Mobile just to offer discounts on new phones.

CDMA will be sunsetted as quickly as possible. 1x800 will likely be Sprint's CDMAs last stand. Sprint does have many phones that have GSM, but they will need FCC testing first for use in the USA iirc, then firmware upgrades. Might be cheaper and/or better for T-Mobile just to offer discounts on new phones.
Here's another question is B25+25+25 going to be a thing or just stick to 25+25.

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

Here's another question is B25+25+25 going to be a thing or just stick to 25+25.

What we have now is the broad brush outline of a deal. DOJ could add more conditions.  I expect the new T-Mobile to have to divest some spectrum in some counties, which they will likely used to trade with AT&T and Verizon to consolidate their spectrum. 

I expect focus will shift to 5g with its much larger channel sizes over more CA options for 4g. The duo have been installing 5g capable equipment for a while now according to my sources. So in a converted market you could end up with 20x20 of4g b25, another 4g B25 carrier, and 20x20 of 5g B25 as soon as needed.  The push will be to get everyone on 5g phones.

8 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I expect that most of the switch-over activity from Sprint to T-Mobile will occur at device activation time with all new devices being activated on the T-Mobile network even if the previous device that is being deactivated was on the Sprint network.  The only devices they will allow to be activated are those that will work properly on the T-Mobile network.  This is why it is planned to take 3 years to move the users from Sprint to T-Mobile.

1 minute ago, radem said:

I expect that most of the switch-over activity from Sprint to T-Mobile will occur at device activation time with all new devices being activated on the T-Mobile network even if the previous device that is being deactivated was on the Sprint network.  The only devices they will allow to be activated are those that will work properly on the T-Mobile network.  This is why it is planned to take 3 years to move the users from Sprint to T-Mobile.

The early public plans indicated a market by market approach, which would be typical.

What we have now is the broad brush outline of a deal. DOJ could add more conditions.  I expect the new T-Mobile to have to divest some spectrum in some counties, which they will likely used to trade with AT&T and Verizon to consolidate their spectrum. 
I expect focus will shift to 5g with its much larger channel sizes over more CA options for 4g. The duo have been installing 5g capable equipment for a while now according to my sources. So in a converted market you could end up with 20x20 of4g b25, another 4g B25 carrier, and 20x20 of 5g B25 as soon as needed.  The push will be to get everyone on 5g phones.
They should just give to the G block in my area. Tmobile already holds 20x20 and then Sprint 10x10 A block all of which is contiguous so on 5G they can do 30x30. VZW holds the C block here and only has 10x10 on B2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that changed fast. I wonder what else they could want when it comes to antitrust?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, derrph said:

Well that changed fast. I wonder what else they could want when it comes to antitrust?

Pretty simple, its clear the DOJ wants to keep four carriers.  Everyone knows that having three carriers will kill all competition in the wireless market.  Best thing for Son to do is take the "L" and sell Sprint to someone that is willing to put in the CAPEX and give Sprint a nudge in the right direction.

Pretty simple, its clear the DOJ wants to keep four carriers.  Everyone knows that having three carriers will kill all competition in the wireless market.  Best thing for Son to do is take the "L" and sell Sprint to someone that is willing to put in the CAPEX and give Sprint a nudge in the right direction.

That’s very true. Sprint just needs a stronger backing that sees the vision and its assets. I was also thinking that by them spinning off Boost they would become #4 since they will still be using Sprints network and have a few million subs within itself.

That’s very true. Sprint just needs a stronger backing that sees the vision and its assets. I would also thinking that by them spinning off Boost they would become #4 since they will still be using Sprints network.

Boost stays with Sprint if the merger fails. If it passes then it spins away.

Boost stays with Sprint if the merger fails. If it passes then it spins away.

Right in the event the merge is approved.

2 hours ago, JossMan said:

Or sue the DOJ and win in the courts. I don't think the DOJ wants to lose again like they did in the AT&T Time Warner deal.

• Like 1