Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

12 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

If they do where do they do?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

They would be owned by somebody else but would still be Sprint/T-Mobile MVNOs

It’s seems John and team are ready to hand these concessions over to the FCC on a silver platter

Giving up boost/ pricing guarantee/ and a rural build out seem a very small price to pay to get this approved. Keep virgin and metro I guess they would consolidate virgin with metro into one. I just think it’s silly keeping boost as an mvno it’s like creating you’re own competition lol..

approval is set soon before the shot clock Expires

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-19/t-mobile-sprint-said-to-prepare-u-s-government-concessions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This deal is done imo.. now just waiting on the doj

I wonder if we all get access to all towers after it's done. Sprint Customer's Tmobile towers with Volte and T-Mobile Customer's Sprint towers with Volte?

• Like 1

According to Legere’s Post and Pai’s Statement, here are the concessions Sprint/T-Mobile agreed to:

- Assurance of 97% U.S. population coverage within three years of the merger’s close, including of 85% of rural Americans.

- Assurance of 99% U.S. population coverage within six years of the merger’s close, including of 90% of rural Americans.

- Assurance that 90% of Americans will have mobile broadband access at 100Mbps or more, with 99% being able to access speeds of 50Mbps or more.

- Assurance that at least two-thirds of rural Americans will have access to high-speed, mid-band 5G.

- Assurance of divestiture of Boost Mobile to retain competitiveness in the prepaid wireless segment.

- Billions of dollars in penalties to the FCC if the merged “New T-Mobile” fails to follow through on these commitments.

We’ve all seen what a deterrent these penalties have been on Google and Facebook. They simply see it as UPS/Fedex sees parking tickets: just the cost of doing business. I don’t have much faith.

• Like 3

I wonder if we all get access to all towers after it's done. Sprint Customer's Tmobile towers with Volte and T-Mobile Customer's Sprint towers with Volte?

No, I think that would be a RF nightmare with sprint and tmo on the same towers and close by

I am very happy with this merger. Get'ir done! I want to see roaming on each other's networks immediately. Don't wait for the close of the deal.

I guess selling Boost was a good way to make sure that all or most of the Boost stores stay open which was a significant worry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

No, I think that would be a RF nightmare with sprint and tmo on the same towers and close by

That is part of what they talk about with 'network synergies'.  I am pretty sure that means co-location where possible, and currently duplicated tower/antenna groups being removed.

What I am curious to see is how this is done from a hardware standpoint.  Both carriers already run into congestion issues - but I dont know if that is congestion/constraints in regards to spectrum, RRU's, or other base station equipment.  They obviously cant just 'shut down' a sprint location and expect the TMO equipment to be able to reliably pick up everyone, nor can they do the opposite... and shut down a TMO location and expect the Sprint equipment to be able to reliably pick up everyone.  

I'm frankly excited to see this come to fruition.  I'm pessimistic about Legere in general, but for those of us in areas where coverage is good or better than average already... it will be exciting to see things ramp up (or possibly ramp down).  Will be interesting to see how this pans out!

3 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Huh? They don't have a problem right now, why would they have a problem going forward?

• Like 1

Huh? They don't have a problem right now, why would they have a problem going forward?

That’s in areas where sprint has no or little to no service.. if you turn this on everywhere to offset congestion and such it would be tough to do... i guess the small areas where sprint has coverage where tmo doesn’t it would work

3 minutes ago, shaferz said:

That is part of what they talk about with 'network synergies'.  I am pretty sure that means co-location where possible, and currently duplicated tower/antenna groups being removed.

What I am curious to see is how this is done from a hardware standpoint.  Both carriers already run into congestion issues - but I dont know if that is congestion/constraints in regards to spectrum, RRU's, or other base station equipment.  They obviously cant just 'shut down' a sprint location and expect the TMO equipment to be able to reliably pick up everyone, nor can they do the opposite... and shut down a TMO location and expect the Sprint equipment to be able to reliably pick up everyone.  

I'm frankly excited to see this come to fruition.  I'm pessimistic about Legere in general, but for those of us in areas where coverage is good or better than average already... it will be exciting to see things ramp up (or possibly ramp down).  Will be interesting to see how this pans out!

Well, they already have identified which Sprint locations they will keep, only 10, 000. The rest are redundant. They will add another 10,000 new ones.

3 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Well, they already have identified which Sprint locations they will keep, only 10, 000. The rest are redundant. They will add another 10,000 new ones.

That was early in the process.  They kept far more in the Metro PCS merger than planned.  I think it will depend on markets.  Sprint weak market sites will mostly be shut down IMO.  More successful Sprint markets will retain more sites.  Same with T-Mobile markets that are already over capacity.

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

That’s in areas where sprint has no or little to no service.. if you turn this on everywhere to offset congestion and such it would be tough to do... i guess the small areas where sprint has coverage where tmo doesn’t it would work

They will start with everybody being able to roam on the other's network. It will be most advantageous to Sprint customers with newer phones that include band 66. T-mobile customers will be able to access Sprint's 19000 Mhz (no block G, unless they have the right phone). They will have to flood the market with phones that contain all the frequencies and incentivize people to buy them.

They have identified 10,000 Sprint sites that they will keep, the rest go away. It will be a logistical challenge to transfer the network equipment from one network to the other without local disruptions in service. But I have faith in T-Mobile's network team.

That was early in the process.  They kept far more in the Metro PCS merger than planned.  I think it will depend on markets.  Sprint weak market sites will mostly be shut down IMO.  More successful Sprint markets will retain more sites.  Same with T-Mobile markets that are already over capacity.

I really hope they keep the Sprint site on the roof off my work. Tmobile could use it as their is some dead spots here.

6 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

They kept all the Metro DAS because why not? They don't hurt anything. They just recently removed the Metro DAS from my local tower. It was kept there for almost 4 years after the merger. I wonder if they add a full site there again. It is a good location that will give them the same coverage as AT&T and Verizon. 

I expect a lot of spectrum swapping to get contiguous spectrum on band 2/25. 
Tmobile and Sprint have already been going thru that with each other. An far as with att or VZW I think there's done for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Tmobile and Sprint have already been going thru that with each other. An far as with att or VZW I think there's done for.

The question is what will New T-Mobile have to pay (in cash or spectrum).

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

Well there's a lot of spectrum swapping to be done in the AWS-1/AWS-3 bands. Some of it will bleed over.