Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Interesting acquisition...

I always like reading the documentation that's provided for advertisers (the sales prop/metrics stuff on the website). It reveals how customers are monetized.

https://www.t-mobile.com/marketing-solutions

https://www.t-mobile.com/marketing-solutions/media

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas L. said:

I wonder if any of the small cells will use their mmwave spectrum? Or do we think T-Mobile is not going to pursue mmwave expansion?

The answer is about 10 posts above from the CFO: they will be used for midband.  C-band and n41 come to mind, else n25 and n66.  n2 if n25 lacks needed CA with other bands.  Verizon has been targeting large stadiums and passenger areas for its mmWave of late, which is T-Mobile's stated plan.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

The answer is about 10 posts above from the CFO: they will be used for midband.  C-band and n41 come to mind, else n25 and n66.  n2 if n25 lacks needed CA with other bands.  Verizon has been targeting large stadiums and passenger areas for its mmWave of late, which is T-Mobile's stated plan.

Also CBRS since they own a few PALs in some cities. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I've noticed my phone connecting to T-Mobile 4G B41 a lot more often the past few days. I wonder if this has anything to do with them really starting to push forward with B41/n41. 

I think it's because they have finally deployed it in your area.  We've had T-Mobile B41/N41 for a while.

5 minutes ago, clbowens said:

I think it's because they have finally deployed it in your area.  We've had T-Mobile B41/N41 for a while.

Maybe I didn't explained, we have had B41/n41 for quite a while a well. That being said, my phone would almost never connect to B41 instead preferring B2 or B66. Just in the past couple of days, B41 appears to now have a priority much closer to B2 and B66.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Maybe I didn't explained, we have had B41/n41 for quite a while a well. That being said, my phone would almost never connect to B41 instead preferring B2 or B66. Just in the past couple of days, B41 appears to now have a priority much closer to B2 and B66.

Ah, ok.

5 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

When Band 41 is weak and does not want to work well, it normally will be because the uplink is bad.  But now, they are saying that they are going to aggregate band 41 and some other band, possibly band 71.  When you now have band 41 active on your device, have you checked to see if you have aggregation of band 41 with some other band? If so, the other band will be doing the lifting on the uplink.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, PedroDaGr8 said:

I've noticed my phone connecting to T-Mobile 4G B41 a lot more often the past few days. I wonder if this has anything to do with them really starting to push forward with B41/n41. 

I've noticed my phone is idling on B41 a lot now as well. Mostly when I'm on WiFi. If I go off of WiFi, it'll default back to B2/66+n41. 

18 hours ago, chamb said:

When Band 41 is weak and does not want to work well, it normally will be because the uplink is bad.  But now, they are saying that they are going to aggregate band 41 and some other band, possibly band 71.  When you now have band 41 active on your device, have you checked to see if you have aggregation of band 41 with some other band? If so, the other band will be doing the lifting on the uplink.

No CA, just idling on a single B41 channel. If I actually start to use data, it'll bump over to n41+B2/66.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I've noticed my phone is idling on B41 a lot now as well. Mostly when I'm on WiFi. If I go off of WiFi, it'll default back to B2/66+n41. 

No CA, just idling on a single B41 channel. If I actually start to use data, it'll bump over to n41+B2/66.

I've seen the same thing here in NYC recently. Occasionally I'll see my phone drop down to LTE which usually means I'm connected to a small cell or a site broadcasting the keep PLMN but when I check Service Mode it'll show I'm on T-Mobile Band 41. I'm really curious as to what change is causing more phones to idle on Band 41.

On 1/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, jreuschl said:

Wonder if John Legere was still around he'd be giving Dumb and Dumber crap about C-Band and airplane issues.

Neville lays out the issue... in a much more friendly way. T-Mobile plans to light up its C-Band in Late 2023.

Edited by RedSpark
Additional info
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I've seen the same thing here in NYC recently. Occasionally I'll see my phone drop down to LTE which usually means I'm connected to a small cell or a site broadcasting the keep PLMN but when I check Service Mode it'll show I'm on T-Mobile Band 41. I'm really curious as to what change is causing more phones to idle on Band 41.

Knowing that they have Carrier aggregation active with B-41 now, T-Mobile may have changed thresholds on what the level has to be for your phone to attempt to use Band 41. With aggregation, the range and usability of Band 41 increases. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chamb said:

Knowing that they have Carrier aggregation active with B-41 now, T-Mobile may have changed thresholds on what the level has to be for your phone to attempt to use Band 41. With aggregation, the range and usability of Band 41 increases. 

I haven't actually seen my phone use B41 though, it just idles on it. As soon as I start an active data session, it switches back to n41 + B2/66. It's almost like the network is offloading idle phones onto B41. 

19 hours ago, jreuschl said:

Until the tower backhaul is upgraded I assume we will not see much for speed improvements.

Some have seen 1+gbps on non-CA speed tests with proper backhaul.

Yeah, the main benefit with NR CA for me is getting n41 for up to about 2.5 miles. Indoors where it used to be b71 LTE 10/1 can now do 170/5 with N71+N41.

• Like 3

Marcelo is out as COO at SoftBank. He sought a $2B payout (but didn’t get it). Wow.

Marcelo actually oversaw the huge severance payment to WeWork's Adam Neumann. Figures he’d try to negotiate a big one for himself as well.

I’m so glad that era of dysfunctional leadership and uncertainty is over. I couldn’t be happier to see T-Mobile succeed and compete well with strong leadership that’s fully invested in the company. I have no complaints about speeds and coverage around DC/MD/VA.

Edited by RedSpark
Clarity
  • Like 1

Switched to TNX. Data Roaming Good & BAD since the switch:

Took a trip out West since switching from Sprint to TNX. T-Mobile treats Viero as native 'kinda' in my market. It will seamlessly switch between T-Mobile bands and Viero bands and does not show up as "R" at the top of the phone when on the Viero network. This is great and bad at the same time! What I didn't know is that there is a brickwall limit when using Viero even though you have no idea you are roaming unless you use Signalcheck and check the band/network. After a few days on my trip my data essentially stopped working completely. T-Mobile slowed the speeds down so much that I could no longer view web pages, go to Youtube, etc. Didn't matter how many times you toggled Airplane mode or reboot the phone. I had to turn on hotspot on my wife's phone and connect through hers to do anything for the rest of the trip until getting back to native T-Mobile. What was equally disappointing is that even though I was back in native T-Mobile coverage area, the phone would still lock on to Viero and not switch to T-Mo! Took a good couple hours for the phone to switch over and data to start working again.

I wish there was an alert of some sort when you are roaming and have some sort of meter in your roaming usage online or something. Also, offer some sort of way to add more data, such as 10G for $10 or whatever to open the pipe back up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Very cool!

Between AWS, PCS, BRS/EBS, and C-band T-Mobile now has an average 342MHz of midband spectrum here in NYC. That's compared to 280MHz on Verizon, 210MHz on AT&T, and 125MHz on Dish. It's difficult to overstate just how much of a lead T-Mobile has in total spectrum ownership over the other carriers. 

• Like 5

Industry-Leading and Record-High Postpaid Account and Postpaid Customer Net Additions in 2021(1)

• Postpaid net account additions of 315 thousand in Q4 2021 — 1.2 million in full-year 2021, more than doubled year-over-year
  • Postpaid net customer additions of 1.8 million in Q4 2021 — 5.5 million in full-year 2021, exceeded guidance
  • Postpaid phone net customer additions of 844 thousand in Q4 2021 — 2.9 million in full-year 2021, increased 32% year-over-year
  • High Speed Internet net customer additions of 224 thousand in Q4 2021, highest in industry— 546 thousand in full-year 2021

Award-Winning 5G Network Pulls Further Ahead of Competition as Merger Synergies Ramp

• Ultra Capacity 5G covered 210 million people and Extended Range 5G covered 94% of people at year-end
  • Merger synergies of $3.8 billion in full-year 2021 increased nearly 3x year-over-year, exceeded guidance

Incredible... and merger synergies are expected to increase to between $5.0B and $5.3B in 2022. Some serious economies of scale here.

Great reading: https://investor.t-mobile.com/financial-performance/quarterly-results/default.aspx

Edited by RedSpark
Additional content
  • Like 2