Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

42 minutes ago, aliensporebomb said:

Wow.   According to my phone I supposedly did 23 gigabytes worth of speedtests.  I can't believe it exceeded that much data.  For 2-3 days after the switch I was doing speedtests when in a new area to see how things were there.   Yeah, no more!   Good lord.  

Funnily enough certain speed test apps are whitelisted on T-Mobile plans. T-Mobile is reporting that I've only used 469.8MB of data this billing period but I've also used 21GB on the Speedtest.net app in the same billing period.

A single speedtest in my area uses around 900MB-1GB of data.

gaD2h23.jpg5Brz1eT.jpg

5 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

I keep having a problem for days now, where if my phone (still pure Sprint) picks up/switches to nearby TMo signal (usually B66 per SCP), suddenly I can't send or receive texts (its also flips to an R for Roaming, but all phone data settings are set to allow all roaming possibilities as well).  And toggling Airplane mode doesn't allow the phone to switch back to a native Sprint connection ever.   The only way I can ever fix it is to reboot the phone, then suddenly its fine again.

@Trip is the only person I know that has a G8X too for sure (or did) - granted you're in a completely different area than me, but have you experienced anything like this lately?

I have a Pixel 5 that does this from time to time. Usually toggling airplane mode fixes it. Super annoying.

Yeah, I definitely haven't disabled anything, all roaming possibilities are enabled.....and its only been over the past week or so roughly, I'm not sure exactly when it started happening.  I never had any problems with texts when connected to a TMo band before until very recently.

Lots of info here, but I found this the most interesting:

Most important, our obsession to make customers happy remains front and center. It is an important differentiator, and customers have noticed. We’re proud of our record-breaking win from J.D. Power U.S. Wireless Customer Care — for the 21st time in a row! We’re going to keep delivering incredible experiences from end to end. Sprint customers who are coming over to our network and enjoying Un-carrier benefits are happier, too — to the tune of net promoter scores that are about 100% higher for those who have migrated into the T-Mobile system.

100% higher? My goodness, but measured from when? Marcelo's recounting about the poor customer experience at Sprint is sobering.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

I'm very satisfied having moved over from Sprint.

Same here. Excellent coverage much better than I was getting on Sprint. The price is right too. Initially 4 lines with one free and last year added four more lines for free. Those are in safekeeping for the grandkids when they are old enough. I figure when they are 20 or 30 years old should be about right. :)

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 6:54 AM, schmidtj said:

Same here. Excellent coverage much better than I was getting on Sprint. The price is right too. Initially 4 lines with one free and last year added four more lines for free. Those are in safekeeping for the grandkids when they are old enough. I figure when they are 20 or 30 years old should be about right. :)

Wow. Free for how long?

9 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Wow. Free for how long?

There are no free line promos going on right now but they ran at least 3 last year and one already this year. I find out about them mostly on Reddit but T-Mobile News and Twitter etc. announces them. They usually run for a week.
The stipulation is you hold on to them for a year and they are your free and clear. If you drop a line before 12 month then the free lines left on your account that are less than a year old become chargable. People are creative as to what they use them for. Some rent them to friends others use them for T-Mobile Tuesday benefits. Mine are being held as I said for the grandkids. What's nice is they are usually stackable with promos that require adding a line. Like "Discounted Phone if you add a line". You get the discounted phone but not the monthly charge for the line.

Here is an example of a (now ended) promo: 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, schmidtj said:

There are no free line promos going on right now but they ran at least 3 last year and one already this year. I find out about them mostly on Reddit but T-Mobile News and Twitter etc. announces them. They usually run for a week.
The stipulation is you hold on to them for a year and they are your free and clear. If you drop a line before 12 month then the free lines left on your account that are less than a year old become chargable. People are creative as to what they use them for. Some rent them to friends others use them for T-Mobile Tuesday benefits. Mine are being held as I said for the grandkids. What's nice is they are usually stackable with promos that require adding a line. Like "Discounted Phone if you add a line". You get the discounted phone but not the monthly charge for the line.

Yup, these are crazy deals that I have to assume they offer on quarters where they want to inflate subscriber numbers... but I won't complain.  I've got 8 Magenta Max lines for less than the price of 2 right now - my parents and sister all have free lines, and I've reserved 3 for my niece, nephew and mother in law if they want it.  

Capture.thumb.PNG.e6686d44f3cfebcdd2425b210d95ce63.PNG

• Like 1

Just watched the webcast. Some cool stuff in it:

1. Great Free 5G Upgrade: T-Mobile is giving everyone a free 5G smartphone. Trade in your existing mobile phone, and T-Mobile will give you a brand-spanking-new, Samsung Galaxy A32 5G smartphone for free, exclusive to T-Mobile postpaid customers. This offer applies to new and existing customers, and ANY (literally any) old phone in working condition.
  2. Great Unlimited Trade-Up: People with limited data plans on Verizon and AT&T can trade up to both unlimited data and full access to T-Mobile’s expansive 5G network all at the same or better price than they currently offer for limited data plans today. Additionally, existing T-Mobile postpaid customers — including ALL former Sprint customers — still on a limited data plan, are getting an upgrade to unlimited for free.

3. T-Mobile Home Internet:  T-Mobile Home Internet is out of beta and launches today with more than 30 million households eligible, making T-Mobile one of the largest broadband providers in the entire country by service area on its first day of service. $60/month and expected average speeds of 100 Mbps for most new customers

4. T-Mobile Hometown: T-Mobile plans to build hundreds of new retail stores in small towns all across America over the next two years. These new stores will create 5,000 direct new jobs, plus thousands more in construction and services to build and maintain them. In areas where T-Mobile can’t place retail stores, they're implementing something they call Hometown Experts. A Hometown Expert is the official T-Mobile representative in a community. Hometown Experts will do most things their brick-and-mortar store employees do, including connecting people to T-Mobile’s 5G network and Home Internet service. During the next two years. T-Mobile plans to hire 2,500 Hometown Experts in 2,500 small towns. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

1. Great Free 5G Upgrade: T-Mobile is giving everyone a free 5G smartphone. Trade in your existing mobile phone, and T-Mobile will give you a brand-spanking-new, Samsung Galaxy A32 5G smartphone for free, exclusive to T-Mobile postpaid customers. This offer applies to new and existing customers, and ANY (literally any) old phone in working condition.

Soooo they will take my HTC EVO 4G I have on a free line (not kidding), and give me the Samsung..?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dewbertdc said:

As long as it powers on and isn't cracked, they will.

It works great.. it's my "how does SCP work on older phones" test device, although it is so slow I don't use it for anything else. Would be far more beneficial to have a newer Samsung in the testbed. Next hurdle, would I have to give up my SWAC account..

49 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

It works great.. it's my "how does SCP work on older phones" test device, although it is so slow I don't use it for anything else. Would be far more beneficial to have a newer Samsung in the testbed. Next hurdle, would I have to give up my SWAC account..

That's a good question... there's no mention of needing to change plans for this, I would assume Sprint-billed folks are eligible with the same 24 month credits that T-Mobile users are.

Does the phone need to be tied to a line? I have an old phone sitting around, but it's an old TracPhone. I have a free line on my account standing by. Would I be able to get the Samsung phone and activate it on the standby line?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

That's a good question... there's no mention of needing to change plans for this, I would assume Sprint-billed folks are eligible with the same 24 month credits that T-Mobile users are.

I would assume though that any phone through this would be TNX'ed. When I TNX'ed all 5 of my lines, they switched us over to a T-mobile plan that is more expensive than what I was paying when it was the Sprint plan. A frustration that CS was not able to help me with, so we're just stuck into paying $50 more a month in total (and it wasn't because fees were rolled into price, meaning my monthly total is $50 higher). However, if you don't TNX all your lines, then perhaps you keep the Sprint plan? 

I'd actually prefer to switch that line to TNX so I can get a different experience from my Pixel 5 on TNA, especially since it's just a testing/logging/backup device.. but I also don't want to lose my free line or SWAC. I'm sure it will be a headache no matter what, but we'll see.

• Like 2

LOL I meant how long are they free. From what you're saying, I guess they are free as long as you keep them after the 12 month minimum?

On 4/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, schmidtj said:

Here is an example of a (now ended) promo: 

On 4/8/2021 at 5:30 AM, mikejeep said:

Soooo they will take my HTC EVO 4G I have on a free line (not kidding), and give me the Samsung..?!

I was going to say it just started working in my Nexus 5 again, but then realized you are testing with a much older device than that even. 😂 I had uninstalled it for a while thinking that changing the target Android version had broken it. Not sure why it wasn't working for a while.

• Like 1