Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

22 minutes ago, shaferz said:

Completely agree.  I am excited for this to get done, so we can start (hopefully) seeing continued improvements.  I want to see how things improve... i want to see which sites the new tmobile deems as 'keep sites', and I want to see where, given their current footprint, tmobile puts additional towers/antennas to get more complete coverage. 

One example is Central IL.

Existing Tmobile Coverage & Sprint Coverage attached.  Sprint already has a tower in Gibson City, while Old Tmobile does not.  If New Tmobile puts the full set of antennas up on the existing location in Gibson City, and a brand new site in or just outside of Sibley, IL with the full breadth of spectrum holdings, that huge hole with piss poor coverage is now covered.  Lots of really smart folks at Tmobile - my hope is that they are looking at stuff like this and making plans.

Screenshot_2020-03-11 12.04.33_3hm4o6.png

Screenshot_2020-03-11 12.04.27_R7k7nn.png

The one new site Sprint added to our market in the last 5 years is in a TMobile dead zone right between sites. I believe they are coordinating.

3 minutes ago, briank86 said:

Anyone know what's happening to Saw? Does it make sense to have 2 CTO's either in the short term or long term? 

There’s been no official word. I’d imagine they’d want to keep him for the integration phase because of his knowledge of Sprint’s network and expertise with 2.5 GHz spectrum.

How do you like the last bullet point of the California's Attn Gen:

Reimburse California and other coalition states up to $15 million for the costs of the investigation and litigation challenging the merger.

We sue you, we loose and you pay!?!       Politics at it's best!   I don't think T Mo should have to pay for their stubbornness.   

California is known for stuff like this. Several years ago, I got a letter from the state saying that my small business owed an extra $800 to the state, because the state was late paying on a Federal loan, and the fed charged the state a late fee. So the state passed the fee onto all businesses operating in the state....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, ingenium said:

California is known for stuff like this. Several years ago, I got a letter from the state saying that my small business owed an extra $800 to the state, because the state was late paying on a Federal loan, and the fed charged the state a late fee. So the state passed the fee onto all businesses operating in the state....

That's commiefornia for you.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, imex99 said:

Now, when will us users first benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure both companies have done as much prep work as possible before the “go” date. Given T-Mobile’s handling of the MetroPCS integration, this should go pretty quickly and smoothly.

6 hours ago, dro1984 said:

LOL... Like I said... I like the last bullet point.     $15 million for CA and our state partners in crime.... I mean just "partners"....    You pay us for suing you!   Blood sucking ....... 's !   LOL        I guess California does try to squeeze blood out of a Turnip.     They squeeze milk out of Almonds.... why not!   

What they also do is produce ads for California cheese with footage of the New Zealand countryside. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, imex99 said:

Now, when will us users first benefit?

You'll probably get full T-Mobile roaming initially. Neville Ray said it would take two to three years to integrate so you'll probably be waiting for a while. 

• Like 1

You'll probably get full T-Mobile roaming initially. Neville Ray said it would take two to three years to integrate so you'll probably be waiting for a while. 
I mean we get roaming now for the most part. Ideally it would be able to use Tmobile sites in the same was as Clearwire was, but I suspect that roaming onto TMobile will still result in a hard drop of the data session.

11 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I suspect that roaming onto TMobile will still result in a hard drop of the data session.

Probably. Can't just drop everyone onto the T-Mobile network because it would be instant network death. Gotta get the network set up with Sprint's spectrum and tested before they even think about moving anyone. Best case two to three year integration time. 

12 hours ago, ingenium said:

I mean we get roaming now for the most part. Ideally it would be able to use Tmobile sites in the same was as Clearwire was, but I suspect that roaming onto TMobile will still result in a hard drop of the data session.

You get T-mobile roaming only for some markets. Not in my market.

Edited by bigsnake49

They have been preparing for this merger for 2 years. They know in minute detail what exactly needs to happen in every site, how to migrate each and every customer. They have had dry runs and know where the difficulties lie. They have added fields in the data bases to accommodate differences in customer info and plans. Knowing all the prep work that was put in it, I am thinking 2 years instead of 3.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

They have been preparing for this merger for 2 years. They know in minute detail what exactly needs to happen in every site, how to migrate each and every customer. They have had dry runs and know where the difficulties lie. They have added fields in the data bases to accommodate differences in customer info and plans. Knowing all the prep work that was put in it, I am thinking 2 years instead of 3.

Agreed. T-Mobile knows how to execute network integrations pretty well. I’m looking forward to T-Mobile putting some real capex behind these spectrum holdings. Both networks are getting what sounds like a top to bottom review, site by site, and T-Mobile will be able to pick and choose the best site placements and equipment to have on each. It’s going to be a killer network. Verizon and AT&T have every reason to be worried.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Probably. Can't just drop everyone onto the T-Mobile network because it would be instant network death. Gotta get the network set up with Sprint's spectrum and tested before they even think about moving anyone. Best case two to three year integration time. 

Yes, BUT remember it goes the other way as well... Tmo customers to hit the sprint towers as well.. which should take the hit off of some Tmo towers..

• Like 1