Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

4 minutes ago, jroepcke51 said:

Tmo working with Dish to utilize their 600mhz (leasing)

That was part of the press releases of both parties. T-Mobile will also hold on to 800Mhz spectrum for three years and they have an option to lease it for two more years.

Edited by bigsnake49

1 minute ago, clbowens said:

Also, what about Shentel territory/network?!

It's the whole reason I'm listening.  Nothing yet.  Can someone else send a message on Twitter, perhaps?

- Trip

2 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Also, what about Shentel territory/network?!

I think that the Shentel prepaid customers will be transferred to Dish. Something tells me that the networks will be merged with the T-mobile network serving as the base, augmented by Shentel sites where appropriate.

Edited by bigsnake49

1 minute ago, bigsnake49 said:

I think that the Shentel prepaid customers will be transferred to Dish.

I doubt T-Mobile has the right to sell Shentel's customers to others unless and until they acquire the Shentel network and customers.

- Trip

• Like 3

Also one thing I don't understand, is why TMobile would want to lease Dish's 600Mhz spectrum?  Or why would they need to?  It will go back to Dish eventually.

7 minutes ago, Trip said:

I doubt T-Mobile has the right to sell Shentel's customers to others unless and until they acquire the Shentel network and customers.

- Trip

You are right. From the T-Mobile press release:

Effective upon the successful completion of T-Mobile’s merger with Sprint, the New T-Mobile will be committed to divest Sprint’s entire prepaid businesses including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile and Sprint-branded prepaid customers (excluding the Assurance brand Lifeline customers and the prepaid wireless customers of Shenandoah Telecommunications Company and Swiftel Communications, Inc.), to DISH for approximately $1.4 billion. These brands serve approximately 9.3 million customers in total.

10 minutes ago, Trip said:

- Trip

Yeah, I'm especially curious what the Shentel fallout/impact of the merger would be living in central PA, now that Shentel took over what used to be Sprint territory still past ~Etown to Lancaster.    Didn't someone say however that the merged company would continue to honor any agreements either separate company had in place though (for however many years)?

4 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Also one thing I don't understand, is why TMobile would want to lease Dish's 600Mhz spectrum?  Or why would they need to?  It will go back to Dish eventually.

So that they can use it to service Dish's customers while Dish builds their network. Like I said above, I am surprised that they are not doing the same for Dish's AWS-3 block H spectrum.

4 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

Yeah, I'm especially curious what the Shentel fallout/impact of the merger would be living in central PA, now that Shentel took over what used to be Sprint territory still past ~Etown to Lancaster.    Didn't someone say however that the merged company would continue to honor any agreements either separate company had in place though (for however many years)?

Yes they will honor any agreements.

16 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Something tells me that the networks will be merged with the T-mobile network serving as the base, augmented by Shentel sites where appropriate.

Yeah, see, statements like this are TERRIFYING.  That's why I want to hear an answer from T-Mobile before panicking.

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Sad 1