Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Democrats in the Senate are a minority. ...   I don't think it means much.  Also, I don't believe Congress has much say in the overall plot as it's up to the FCC and the Dept of Justice.      If you all remember, Sprint and T Mobile already met with Senators back in May or June.   Don't really know what else can be done.   The FCC has a 180 Day "shot clock".   It can go over 180 days, but not 2 years?!    I'm hoping there is some word/ communication this week or next.     

• Like 1

Democrats in the Senate are a minority. ...   I don't think it means much.  Also, I don't believe Congress has much say in the overall plot as it's up to the FCC and the Dept of Justice.      If you all remember, Sprint and T Mobile already met with Senators back in May or June.   Don't really know what else can be done.   The FCC has a 180 Day "shot clock".   It can go over 180 days, but not 2 years?!    I'm hoping there is some word/ communication this week or next.     

I agree, government is open for 20 days .. I expect John and Marcelo to be spotted in Washington again over these next three weeks.. if government does close again.. I think the rules state that no matter how long the government is shut down the fcc will be given another 3-6 months after the shut down to keep reviewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/27/2019 at 7:21 AM, dro1984 said:

The FCC has a 180 Day "shot clock".   It can go over 180 days, but not 2 years?!    I'm hoping there is some word/ communication this week or next.     

The shot clock is entirely informal and is frequently paused and resumed.  See here:  https://www.fcc.gov/transaction/t-mobile-sprint

The transaction is paused on Day 84 right now, even though the clock was first started on July 18, more than 6 months ago.

- Trip

• Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobile-us/house-panels-to-hold-joint-hearing-on-sprint-t-mobile-merger-idUSKCN1PM2LY

Happening on February 13th:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. House panels will hold a joint hearing on Feb. 13 on T-Mobile US Inc and Sprint Corp’s proposed $26 billion merger and its potential impact on consumers. 

The House Energy and Commerce Committee and the Judiciary Committee will hold a joint hearing to “examine the merger’s potential impacts on consumers, workers and the wireless industry,” the committees said in a statement on Monday. Both T-Mobile Chief Executive John Legere and Sprint Chairman Marcelo Claure have agreed to testify.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Trip said:

The shot clock is entirely informal and is frequently paused and resumed.  See here:  https://www.fcc.gov/transaction/t-mobile-sprint

The transaction is paused on Day 84 right now, even though the clock was first started on July 18, more than 6 months ago.

- Trip

As a follow up, the clock was stopped this last time due to Government Shutdown.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RedSpark said:

How about that...

What the heck is a "Customer Experience Center".  Anybody here been in one?  I have never sought technical support or sales service from a physical store.

• Like 1

What the heck is a "Customer Experience Center".  Anybody here been in one?  I have never sought technical support or sales service from a physical store.

With TMO when you call in for help the first time you are designated an experience center (call center) and also a specific team/person. Each time you call they will do their best to get you back to the same person (or team, or experience center) pending time of day and busyness.

It’s 100x better than the off shore crap Sprint does. Not slamming Sprint - just my observation.

• Like 4

From Fortune Magazine news:

T-Mobile's John Legere Promises Rates Won't Increase If the Sprint Merger Gets Approved

In addition, Legere from a Reuters News feed, Legere and T Mobile is asking FCC to speed up the review process quickly...  

In a letter to the FCC, T-Mobile Chief Executive John Legere asked the government to move forward “expeditiously” in reviewing the merger of the No. 3 and No. 4 wireless carriers, and attempted to allay fears the deal would mean higher prices.

Reuters: 

T-Mobile pledges three-year price clampdown

Edited by dro1984
Insert Reuters link
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

From Fortune Magazine news:

T-Mobile's John Legere Promises Rates Won't Increase If the Sprint Merger Gets Approved

In addition, Legere is asking FCC to speed up the review process quickly...  

T-Mobile's rates have risen to almost Verizon/AT&T levels so him promising they will not rise is a rather empty promise.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bigsnake49 said:

T-Mobile's rates have risen to almost Verizon/AT&T levels so him promising they will not rise is a rather empty promise.

Sprint's are right up there too.   They are not the cheap discount carrier either.     Nobody is  what I would call cheaper unless you go with a Family Mobile or Google Fi or a similar virtual carrier. 

Idk if that’s true.... I pay $140 for two lines (could drop to $120 but give up some features) that includes taxes and Netflix. With vzw it would be $180 plus taxes. Sure it’s $40+Netflix.

I’d rather Tmo and sprint charge a fair price and offer s kick ass network.

Not saying you’re wrong

Just my perspective.

12 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:

Idk if that’s true.... I pay $140 for two lines (could drop to $120 but give up some features) that includes taxes and Netflix. With vzw it would be $180 plus taxes. Sure it’s $40+Netflix.

Not saying you’re wrong

Just my perspective.

Look, I am paying $15/month+taxes for a kickstarter line on Sprint. I am sure Sprint is not making any money on that line. There are other limited duration deals that other people have taken advantage of. But the trend has been to raise prices.

I have 6 unlimited lines and pay between $205 and $215 per month depending on Kickbacks that month.

That's 2 lines using the 2 for $100 deal, plus a 3rd line for free (buy 2 get one free), a 20% hookup discount, and then 3 more lines at $20/line. The device payments are included in that price, and of course so are taxes because it's Tmo.

Definitely can't get anything like that outside of Tmo, and I'm not going anywhere until they pry this pricing out of my hand. It's the only reason I switched from Sprint.

Here is an article that puts the odds of the merger at 40%.  https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/t-mobiles-legere-calls-dish-a-spectrum-hoarder/d/d-id/749306?

So we have a range of 40-90%.  IMO it may be 2020 before we know.  If you are a regulator why rush?  The main premise is that Sprint will fail without a merger.  The second argument is that the merger will benefit the rest of the country with a true competitor.  If you stall as a regulator, you will get to see if Sprint gets traction on 5G.  Given the fragmentation of the mmWave spectrum, with much still under auction, and its tremendous buildout requirements, Sprint's 2.5Ghz 5G will really be the only viable option for 6 months until the second 5G chipset comes out with support for midrange and low bands which T-Mobile and AT&T have announced plans to use.

Not saying you’re wrong

Just my perspective.

I know this may sound kind of messed up. But this is from my perspective. You need money to build out a network and I agree with raising prices to a reasonable extent in order to finance building out a new network and expanding coverage amongst other things. Because obviously without money you can't fix the cellular sites that are having problems can't expand coverage. And you can't pay lawyers to argue with the zoning board about the placement of cell sites.. the money has to come from some where.... building out and maintaining a cellphone network isn't cheap..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk