Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

I would rather for Sprint and T-Mobile not to merge. Sprint however could use a partnership with a cable company. I just feel like Tmo and S merging is to bail sprint from building out their network and Tmo a bailout for 5G. How it currently stands, T-mobile would be the Sprint of 5G. I would say let them keep beating down the doors of the FCC to have that auction for that high band spectrum. They’ve grown arrogant over the past few years. Sprint has the tools in hand for 5G and making their network really rival the big two but as we all know on here the execution with Sprint has not been the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I would rather for Sprint and T-Mobile not to merge. Sprint however could use a partnership with a cable company. I just feel like Tmo and S merging is to bail sprint from building out their network and Tmo a bailout for 5G. How it currently stands, T-mobile would be the Sprint of 5G. I would say let them keep beating down the doors of the FCC to have that auction for that high band spectrum. They’ve grown arrogant over the past few years. Sprint has the tools in hand for 5G and making their network really rival the big two but as we all know on here the execution with Sprint has not been the best.

The thing i would be upset about is : we are a few days into sprints Q1 ( higher capex spending maybe 6,7,8 billion ) and they (sprint ) haven't even been giving a chance to execute and now merger talk are on again.... As Masa Said when he first entered the US market .. I see a vision for sprint, but it wasn't just sprint alone .. in almost mid 18 .. if sprint wants to have a competeing Network late 2019 early 2020.. that will cost a premium dollar that at the lowest spending 12 billon over 24 months wont solve .. SoftBank would need to pour in money to help sprint get over that humb

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The thing i would be upset about is : we are a few days into sprints Q1 ( higher capex spending maybe 6,7,8 billion ) and they (sprint ) haven't even been giving a chance to execute and now merger talk are on again.... As Masa Said when he first entered the US market .. I see a vision for sprint, but it wasn't just sprint alone .. in almost mid 18 .. if sprint wants to have a competeing Network late 2019 early 2020.. that will cost a premium dollar that at the lowest spending 12 billon over 24 months wont solve .. SoftBank would need to pour in money to help sprint get over that humb

Was it confirmed that the talks were official or here say rumors? I haven’t looked into it besides what hit yesterday. if Son doesn’t want Sprint alone, then why would he go the way and fold them up into T-Mobile. Plain and simple the Sprint brand would be dead. A partnership makes more sense with another company that can complement and benefit Sprint. If Sprint goes, prices are going up.

Was it confirmed that the talks were official or here say rumors? I haven’t looked into it besides what hit yesterday. if Son doesn’t want Sprint alone, then why would he go the way and fold them up into T-Mobile. Plain and simple the Sprint brand would be dead. A partnership makes more sense with another company that can complement and benefit Sprint. If Sprint goes, prices are going up.

It was listed as a rumor but sources are people familiar with the matter ( so, to me it's not a rumor the talks are official) .. a partnership with Sprint is tough.. sprint hasn't gained any yearly profits in over a decade in fact they just recently posted their first profits and in the wireless industry that amount of profits sprint posted most would consider peanutes.. based on sprints balance sheets there just isn't to much good/upside to pull from other then their spectrum..which at this point would only benefit tmo.. a merger may not get approved hell chances are very high the DOJ will block a horizontal merger .. hell there even fighting a vertical merger which they are usually in favor off (att time warner ) .. this smells like a low balled aqcusition to me

It's still a rumor and it doesn't make sense given the huge deal they signed with Zayo like a week or two ago. This whole thing just doesn't add up to me.
This has still not been officially release if it was sprint or not .. could of been TMO or att with first net

Just now, tyroned3222 said:

This has still not been officially release if it was sprint or not .. could of been TMO or att with first net

Sprint literally mentioned Zayo by name less than a month before Zayo announced the contract. I'm more certain that it was Sprint than I am certain these talks are happening.

Sprint literally mentioned Zayo by name less than a month before Zayo announced the contract. I'm more certain that it was Sprint than I am certain these talks are happening.

Correct, but I would not trust that too much .. the board of softbank is putting a lot of pressure on Masa to get rid of sprint .. out of the 130 billion debt SoftBank Carry's almost 40 billion is coming from Sprint

I don't understand how we can trust a rumor from nowhere more than we can trust Sprint saying "We're talking to companies like Zayo-" and then Zayo saying they signed a huge contract. Softbank has $130 Billion in debt but they  have $230 Billion in total assets and raked in $9 Billion in 2017. They're not hurting for money in any way shape or form judging by their constant buyouts of companies and $100 Billion vision fund. Softbank's 29% stake in Alibaba alone is worth more than $130 Billion.

Softbank just wants scale to compete.

• Like 2

I don't understand how we can trust a rumor from nowhere more than we can trust Sprint saying "We're talking to companies like Zayo-" and then Zayo saying they signed a huge contract. Softbank has $130 Billion in debt but they  have $230 Billion in total assets and raked in $9 Billion in 2017. They're not hurting for money in any way shape or form judging by their constant buyouts of companies and $100 Billion vision fund. Softbank's 29% stake in Alibaba alone is worth more than $130 Billion.

Softbank just wants scale to compete.

The rumor is based on sources familiar with the matter .. once you say sources familiar with the matter to me it's not a rumor anymore .. and you are correct , but softbank having to borrow 8 billion from that stake left people asking questions ( is softbank running out of cash ?) "Sources familiar with the matter " are saying softbank promoted these new rounds of merger talks .. days after it was rumored that brightstar is being put up for sale ( which is a marginal profit stake for sofbank ) and sprint also isn't making any profits until last quarter and that was peanuts .. so from and article that I read it looks the board is pressuring masa to cut of the least profitable businesses from his plan

Sprint would cost/ take too much time to develope into a large profitable businesses cash cow as some would say

It could be sprint wanting to acquire tmo

crazy as it sounds sprint may be in a better position than Tmo moving forward...

tmo needs more spectrum...etc,etc 

could be a partnership where Tmo uses some of sprints 5g to aid sprint in costs and save Tmo from having to purchase more spectrum soon....

who knows  but I bet it isn’t gonna just be sprint Tmo some other 3rd party will be involved 

But that's because Brightstar doesn't have long term growth. It costs a lot to operate and despite being profitable, it doesn't bring in cash the way a successful carrier can. Brightstar's value hasn't gone down, but it also hasn't gone up. So why not sell your stake in Brightstar and get the $1 Billion you invested in them back? There is more money to be made in turning Sprint around than there is in keeping Brightstar.

But that's because Brightstar doesn't have long term growth. It costs a lot to operate and despite being profitable, it doesn't bring in cash the way a successful carrier can. Brightstar's value hasn't gone down, but it also hasn't gone up. So why not sell your stake in Brightstar and get the $1 Billion you invested in them back? There is more money to be made in turning Sprint around than there is in keeping Brightstar.

It really doesn't matter how much money softbank have or doesn't have .. doesn't mean much when sprint is a subsidiary company that is being publicly traded ..  Softbank has been holding sprint for a while now at an opertaing loss

The board and investors want answers or a return on investment and are getting neither.

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

It's still a rumor and it doesn't make sense given the huge deal they signed with Zayo like a week or two ago. This whole thing just doesn't add up to me.

We don't know that they actually signed with Zayo. This is a rumor turned fact by adding 1+1.

I wouldn't be surprised (if indeed this was Sprint who signed with Zayo) if there is an out clause due to a marger or change in ownership.

Just now, greenbastard said:

We don't know that they actually signed with Zayo. This is a rumor turned fact by adding 1+1.

I wouldn't be surprised (if indeed this was Sprint who signed with Zayo) if there is an out clause due to a marger or change in ownership.

At least there is a 1+1 as opposed to "here's what I heard". Even industry analyst Walt Piecyk is confident it's Sprint and dude has a habit of being spot-on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyroned3222 said:

I know there is hope on the network side , but on the business side you don't operate a loss YOY for over a decade ..you just don't

Especially in a cut throat market, where every wireless provider is carrying debt.

This seems like it has been a long time coming. When SoftBank took over Sprint, everyone knew Son's ultimate goal was to make the US a three carrier market. Is that good for the consumer? No. But the numbers for four carriers aren't there. Something has got to give.

I think SoftBank and DT had all the hard details such as network integration, management, and strategy ironed out. The only thing they disagreed on was ownership ratio. If they are back to the table this soon, then that means that they weren't very far off on their numbers. I think the merger goes through. Sprint can't deploy 5G and simultaneously expand their network on their own AND T-Mobile doesn't have 5G spectrum.

They both need each other.

Especially in a cut throat market, where every wireless provider is carrying debt.
This seems like it has been a long time coming. When SoftBank took over Sprint, everyone knew Son's ultimate goal was to make the US a three carrier market. Is that good for the consumer? No. But the numbers for four carriers aren't there. Something has got to give.
I think SoftBank and DT had all the hard details such as network integration, management, and strategy ironed out. The only thing they disagreed on was ownership ratio. If they are back to the table this soon, then that means that they weren't very far off on their numbers. I think the merger goes through. Sprint can't deploy 5G and simultaneously expand their network on their own AND T-Mobile doesn't have 5G spectrum.
They both need each other.
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1HI36L
This a good read ... Masa is wanting to go into a deal he has no money to throw towards
Softbank has 25 billion yen worth of assets. Of that they are only vested in 3.5 billion yen’s worth.
So help me understand something here. Masa wanted control of a combined company he couldnt sink a dime into?
Just food for thought

13 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1HI36L
This a good read ... Masa is wanting to go into a deal he has no money to throw towards
Softbank has 25 billion yen worth of assets. Of that they are only vested in 3.5 billion yen’s worth.
So help me understand something here. Masa wanted control of a combined company he couldnt sink a dime into?
Just food for thought

¥25 Trillion in assets and ¥ 3.5 Trillion in equity. That converts to $USD 223 Billion in assets and $USD 33 Billion in equity. Deutsche Telekom has $36USD Billion in equity so they aren't much better off than Softbank. I'm not denying that Softbank should have less debt and higher equity but they aren't cash strapped.

And are we really going to Craig Moffett for advice, the guy who has been historically wrong about Sprint and has a reputation for being doom and gloom about them?

• Like 4

¥25 Trillion in assets and ¥ 3.5 Trillion in equity. That converts to $USD 223 Billion in assets and $USD 33 Billion in equity. Deutsche Telekom has $36USD Billion in equity so they aren't much better off than Softbank. I'm not denying that Softbank should have less debt and higher equity but they aren't cash strapped.
And are we really going to Craig Moffett for advice, the guy who has been historically wrong about Sprint and has a reputation for being doom and gloom about them?
The difference is TMO turns a profit sprint does not ... When you can pay your bills and take home a nice profit, its a whole different world... there is a reason moffett is an advisor and we aren't .

59 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

The difference is TMO turns a profit sprint does not ... When you can pay your bills and take home a nice profit, its a whole different world... there is a reason moffett is an advisor and we aren't .

Regardless of whatever that nebulous reason is, it doesn't negate Bryce's point that the guy has been more miss than hit when it comes to $S.

• Like 2