Hi guys,

like the title says, I am travelling to the Netherlands and am curious about people's experience with the international roaming passes. 

Firstly, are they unlimited data, or are they limited with deprioritization?

Secondly, what are the speeds like?

I have asked around but have gotten mixed answers.

Thanks!

You get unlimited data at 2G speeds for free. You can buy high-speed data on a per-day or per-week basis. More info here:

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html

Speeds depend on the international carrier's network/coverage. I've personally never had speed issues in Europe. 

On the plus side, data passes run at full LTE speed, and include unlimited tethering. On the downside, traffic is airpinned back through the US (so you get a few hundred ms higher latency) and the carrier Sprint has a partnership with in your area may not be the best carrier there (though for Belgium at least it actually is the primary AFAIK).

• Like 1

On the plus side, data passes run at full LTE speed, and include unlimited tethering. On the downside, traffic is airpinned back through the US (so you get a few hundred ms higher latency) and the carrier Sprint has a partnership with in your area may not be the best carrier there (though for Belgium at least it actually is the primary AFAIK).
You can sometimes force it to use a different carrier. It worked for me in January in Costa Rica, but I'm in Spain now and while Sprint has roaming agreements with all 4 carriers here, it will only use the biggest one (Movistar). I can auth onto the others, but as soon as data tries to pass it overrides the manual network selection, goes back to automatic, and switches to Movistar.

So they may have changed something recently, or it could just be country specific, but you can sometimes pick a different carrier. https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/international-roaming-partners.html#S

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, ingenium said:

You can sometimes force it to use a different carrier. It worked for me in January in Costa Rica, but I'm in Spain now and while Sprint has roaming agreements with all 4 carriers here, it will only use the biggest one (Movistar). I can auth onto the others, but as soon as data tries to pass it overrides the manual network selection, goes back to automatic, and switches to Movistar.

So they may have changed something recently, or it could just be country specific, but you can sometimes pick a different carrier. https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/international-roaming-partners.html#S

The setup appears to differ depending on the country. In Serbia I switched to the non-primary roaming partner Sprint has there, and it worked like a charm (manual network selection). I swapped back to the primary later, likewise with no issue. In Belgium I was locked to one network AFAIK; no other network would auth. In the UK I *think* I could only access one network basically the entire time, but oddly enough someone else here reported that they roamed on a completely different network. Odd...

The setup appears to differ depending on the country. In Serbia I switched to the non-primary roaming partner Sprint has there, and it worked like a charm (manual network selection). I swapped back to the primary later, likewise with no issue. In Belgium I was locked to one network AFAIK; no other network would auth. In the UK I *think* I could only access one network basically the entire time, but oddly enough someone else here reported that they roamed on a completely different network. Odd...

It could be region based, sort of like T-Mobile roaming. Or set that if it sees a certain network to always prefer it. I know Movistar is definitely a preferred partner is all countries, but I've roamed off of them before. Maybe in more rural areas there is more roaming flexibility. At least in Barcelona, Movistar does have a more dense network it seems, and has 50% of subscribers, so it's fine. I'm using an Orange SIM now, and despite 20+20+10 (sometimes 20+20+10+10) FDD CA, it feels congested often. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By EntrepreneurKid
      When Virgin Mobile introduced their Inner Circle plan they added Extended coverage giving them the same coverage as Sprint Postpaid. And a few months ago when Virgin did away with its Inner Circle plan and its iPhone only to the current plan lineup and devices I figured they'd backtrack on the roaming and go back to Sprint only. While they may not have updated their coverage map it would seem they are not allowing roaming as my LG Tribute Dynasty which is compatible with US Cellular roaming is being restricted and blocked post activation. Before hands free activation began I was able to go into the devices network and roaming settings and switch on voice roaming, which worked, it immediately connected to US Cellular, then the hands free activation started which couldn't complete due to no data until I switched on wifi, but after the device rebooted, the voice roaming was turned off and greyed out so it couldn't be switched back on.
      I know this device is capable of roaming, it has band 12 and band 5 for LTE and the CDMA band necessary to roam onto US Cellulars CDMA network, which again it was able to due prior to activation. If Virgin Mobile is going to continue having roaming as an option then it should work otherwise they need to remove it from their coverage map. I've attempted to take the issue up with Virgin but they tell me that they'll help me with any other issue, except roaming. I believe it has something to do with the PRL since it is what determines the devices roaming. I found a old Virgin device from before Inner Circle started, in it was PRL 7080 the same one as it has now, back then Virgin was the home network on Sprint only, no data or voice roaming.
      I don't know where the issue is with this and I'm hoping after filing a complaint with the FCC which has been served that it is either corrected and fixed and roaming starts working, or Virgin removes it from their coverage map if they're not going to allow it. I've asked customer service if the coverage map and the roaming on it applies to current customers or if it was just Inner Circle and they say it does apply to the current plans. If so, and if I have a device that is compatible (LG Tribute Dynasty), why is it being restricted.

• By EntrepreneurKid
      With Todays announcement that T-Mobile and Sprint are merging, and the announcement of the T-Mobile Sprint Roaming deal that will survive and will last for four years regardless if the merger is completed or not, which is effect immediately as stated in the conference call and the slides made available. So I thought I'd create this to see if anyone has been able to use their Sprint device on T-Mobile roaming yet. And of course if not, once you do, come back here and say you have. Personally I'm not bothering with anything until after the coverage map is updated again, hopefully to reflect the T-Mobile roaming. And of course if you are able to roam onto T-Mobile what kind of speeds are you pulling, and on what device.
      Also for those that are unaware, the T-Mobile Sprint Roaming agreement that was announced as part of todays merger announcement is a roaming agreement for Sprint customers to roam onto T-Mobile for 4 years and takes affect immediately, yes right now, regardless if the merger completes or not. Surely it's a stepping stone to integrating the networks by getting Sprint devices that are capable, which according to the conference call is 20 Million Sprint devices ready to be used on the T-Mobile network full time once deal is approved by the regulators and finally completed.
    • By Andrew Revering
      This one has stumped me and I'm hoping someone can shed light on this...

I have Sprint as my provider, and I'm out in a no-coverage area north of Lake Superior in Minnesota.

I purchased a 20db gain Yagi antenna, and pointed it at the nearest tower, which is 16 miles away on the other side of a high bluff.

The antenna is connected to a Wilson (WeBoost) amplifier
      Amplifier showing all green as it's at max power and working properly.

I am getting a signal! It's a middle of the road "2-3 bar" -87 dBm signal on both my Android HTC 10 and my wife's iPhone 6S Plus

Signal Check Pro says it's the Verizon tower, which makes sense as I'm pointing it at the 850 mhz Verizon tower.

The problem is that calls do not work. No tones or audio when dialing and eventually it just disconnects, and no data connection available.

I tried a Verizon MiFi and had similar results. It had a signal but couldn't connect.

What's the problem? I've put in about $800 into this setup, and I don't want to give up on getting data and switching to Satellite if I'm very close to getting a connection!

Thanks in advance for your ideas/explanations.
    • By clbowens
      Does Sprint have an LTE roaming deals with any carrier anywhere currently?  If so, does it show up on their coverage map?
    • By clbowens
      Do Spark phones have less roaming capabilities than non-Spark LTE phones?  I was looking on the Sprint coverage map for an area that usually has roaming 3G data coverage.  At least on my old GS3, it did.  But I checked the data coverage for my GS5 and it shows no coverage.  I zoom out and overall it looks like the roaming is extremely limited with the GS5 compared to the GS3.  The specific area code is 27892.

Thanks.