CDMA End of Life Set for May 1

All customers with affected devices have been getting notices regarding this since January.

The list initially only included select devices although it has more recently expanded to include almost all CDMA-only devices. CDMA activation and programming servers are scheduled to be shut down soon.

VoLTE here we come. 

Yay! Finally. That means PCS refarm too.

So what does this mean for devices that aren't VoLTE supported yet? iPhone 7 and older for example?

We don't know that it will go that far yet. The refarm I mean they would have to shutdown 3G completely to use the rest on LTE.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

We don't know that it will go that far yet. The refarm I mean they would have to shutdown 3G completely to use the rest on LTE. 

It will happen eventually, but probably not for at least a few more years. They'll keep 1x800 around for CDMA voice, and they have put a single 1x1900 carrier in the LTE internal guard band plus some overlap (Airave 3s, at least in some markets, have been doing this since launch). It's unclear if this was intentional, and if so, under what conditions it works. The real holdup is if/when they want to drop EVDO.

In some markets, they've shut down the 2nd EVDO carrier to enable 4x4 on B25, so there are many areas that only have a single EVDO carrier now. I suspect they won't shut it down completely though until LTE coverage is solid, since too many devices now drop to CDMA in dead zones and then take forever (30+ min) to switch back to LTE. Data would then be unusable without EVDO, and most people wouldn't know to airplane toggle to get LTE back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It will happen eventually, but probably not for at least a few more years. They'll keep 1x800 around for CDMA voice, and they have put a single 1x1900 carrier in the LTE internal guard band plus some overlap (Airave 3s, at least in some markets, have been doing this since launch). It's unclear if this was intentional, and if so, under what conditions it works. The real holdup is if/when they want to drop EVDO.  

In some markets, they've shut down the 2nd EVDO carrier to enable 4x4 on B25, so there are many areas that only have a single EVDO carrier now. I suspect they won't shut it down completely though until LTE coverage is solid, since too many devices now drop to CDMA in dead zones and then take forever (30+ min) to switch back to LTE. Data would then be unusable without EVDO, and most people wouldn't know to airplane toggle to get LTE back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah they could just do it in areas where LTE is strong and keep 3G where it's weak. I would love 10x10 in my area and LTE works just fine here.  

14 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Yeah they could just do it in areas where LTE is strong and keep 3G where it's weak. I would love 10x10 in my area and LTE works just fine here.  

In areas where Sprint holds the PCS C block, CDMA is usually thinned down to two 1x1900 carriers and a single EVDO1900 carrier. This allows for 4x4 MIMO on the LTE carrier. 

In areas where 1900 holdings aren't contiguous and a single L1900 carrier can’t be deployed, EVDO isn't usually thinned as much as Sprint can’t run two 4x4 LTE carriers. 

I can see EVDO being shut down by year end and Sprint running a single 1x1900 carrier in the L1900 guard band (in addition to their 1x800 carrier). Because VZW CDMA is going away in a matter of months, Sprint is working hard to get a VoLTE solution up and running fast. Supplementing L1900 bandwidth and stretching L1900 to its maximum range will be key to voice reliability as it will free up capacity on L800 for VoLTE in edge-of-cell scenarios (where Sprint currently struggles). 

In areas where Sprint holds the PCS C block, CDMA is usually thinned down to two 1x1900 carriers and a single EVDO1900 carrier. This allows for 4x4 MIMO on the LTE carrier. 
In areas where 1900 holdings aren't contiguous and a single L1900 carrier can’t be deployed, EVDO isn't usually thinned as much as Sprint can’t run two 4x4 LTE carriers. 
I can see EVDO being shut down by year end and Sprint running a single 1x1900 carrier in the L1900 guard band (in addition to their 1x800 carrier). Because VZW CDMA is going away in a matter of months, Sprint is working hard to get a VoLTE solution up and running fast. Supplementing L1900 bandwidth and stretching L1900 to its maximum range will be key to voice reliability as it will free up capacity on L800 for VoLTE in edge-of-cell scenarios (where Sprint currently struggles). 
Verizon's CDMA is not being shutdown they Customer's just will not be able to connect nor will Sprint. It will still be their for Enterprise customers to use

3 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Verizon's CDMA is not being shutdown they Customer's just will not be able to connect nor will Sprint. It will still be their for Enterprise customers to use

I am aware. But as far as Sprint is concerned, it is going away. 

Without VoLTE, at some point device availability could become an issue.  Suppose VZ shuts down their EVDO network at end of 2019.  Do you think that Pixel 6 in 2021 will still support CDMA just for Sprint?  

Without VoLTE, at some point device availability could become an issue.  Suppose VZ shuts down their EVDO network at end of 2019.  Do you think that Pixel 6 in 2021 will still support CDMA just for Sprint?  
Likely as Sprint (or their successor) would be selling it and they're keeping at least 1x800 up til 2021.

CDMA 1x1900 would probably be the first to go as Volte takes up more of the voice load and 1x800 covers the decreasing share of devices not volte capable. Evdo 1.9 would remain at least for edge of cell areas where LTE data just don't make it yet.

Likely to see a 3 MHz B25 carrier at least in some areas when this happens.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Likely as Sprint (or their successor) would be selling it and they're keeping at least 1x800 up til 2021.

CDMA 1x1900 would probably be the first to go as Volte takes up more of the voice load and 1x800 covers the decreasing share of devices not volte capable. Evdo 1.9 would remain at least for edge of cell areas where LTE data just don't make it yet.

I would love to see that my area could get 10x10 A block then [emoji4]

Sprint LTE is strong where I live and work,would that allow them to do 10x10 sometime then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ingenium said:

...too many devices now drop to CDMA in dead zones and then take forever (30+ min) to switch back to LTE. Data would then be unusable without EVDO, and most people wouldn't know to airplane toggle to get LTE back.

Not certain that Verizon users suffer from this issue, also commonly seen when people pull their phones out of their pants pockets.

Nottain as to why Sprint does not change the timer to check for LTE more often, at least in areas where they know LTE exists.  CDMA only sites are rare, so I would expected increased battery use would be minimal, even when considering indoor sites with no LTE signal.

Edit: fixed two typos

Edited by dkyeager

28 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

No certain that Verizon users suffer from this issue, also commonly seen when people pull their phones out of their pants pockets.

Verizon's L700 Qrxlevmin values are very, very low. It is very unlikely devices on their network will drop LTE as a result of putting your phone in your pocket given you have any form of usable LTE when your phone is in hand. 

I would like to see Sprint drop their L800 Qrxlevmin value down to -128 nationwide. I made a post in the international forum a year or two about the TELUS network in Canada, when they only had 5x5 L800, 15x15 L1900 and 20x20 L2100 live. Their band management was absolutely phenomenal and I never connected to anything but usable LTE (or no service). Sprint could learn a lot for their example. 

30 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

No certain as to why Sprint does not change the timer to check for LTE more often, at least in areas where they know LTE exists.  CDMA only sites are rare, so I would expected increased battery use would be minimal, even when considering indoor sites with no LTE signal.

Sprint has implemented ORNL to allow the network to push users from EVDO to LTE, although they seem to have halfassed the deployment. The ORNL transmit cycle is additionally usually configured to be so long that you might as well wait for the device rescan timer to push you back up to LTE. I've only experienced a good ORNL deployment in a few rare locations...I remember consistently reconnecting to LTE in Hawaii 10-15 seconds after dropping to EVDO. 

• Like 1

Sprint has implemented ORNL to allow the network to push users from EVDO to LTE, although they seem to have halfassed the deployment. The ORNL transmit cycle is additionally usually configured to be so long that you might as well wait for the device rescan timer to push you back up to LTE. I've only experienced a good ORNL deployment in a few rare locations...I remember consistently reconnecting to LTE in Hawaii 10-15 seconds after dropping to EVDO. 
That's TMobiles BW is my area. 5x5 700, 15x15 1900 and 20x20 2100. Not sure what the will use for B71. They own 15x15

23 hours ago, lilotimz said:

No new devices with CDMA, they will not activate them and no PRL updates will be available.

question  about cmdan the voice part my phone has been unable to recive phone call or tex message at all  i am on one of sprint mno  tello  they blame phone is the voice net 1xtrx  stil up my phone is unable to find it it is a old phone mot g4 play i am think i have to get a new one which is not too bad it do have ohter issue 

7 hours ago, mattp said:

question  about cmdan the voice part my phone has been unable to recive phone call or tex message at all  i am on one of sprint mno  tello  they blame phone is the voice net 1xtrx  stil up my phone is unable to find it it is a old phone mot g4 play i am think i have to get a new one which is not too bad it do have ohter issue 

If they're saying it's your phone then it's probably your phone. Try to write your posts so that we can actually read them next time. 

the reason why i ask is i doint know if cdma  can still be active it was full reset i herd in the new new phone can not be set  up on cdma do that mean old phone being full reset  

Punctuation and grammar are more than a suggestion; they're paramount in conveying a proper and clear message. This isn't nitpicking. It's a necessary thing so that others can clearly understand your meaning. Please work on this as it's painful to attempt to read poorly constructed communications. 

• Like 3

the reason why i ask is i doint know if cdma  can still be active it was full reset i herd in the new new phone can not be set  up on cdma do that mean old phone being full reset  

Sorry Dude but, no one understands what you are saying or talking about.

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

Sorry Dude but, no one understands what you are saying or talking about.

i was asking about my phone stop working  for phone call and tex message .

What can i do since my phone was reset and it work on the cdma network since the cdma network say no new activation in that article .

and i am talking as best as i can