Virgin and Boost prepaid may get 4G love with Wimax?????

ericdabbs

Probably not. The only Wimax phone not sold by either brand is the Moto Photon(?). All new Sprint phones are LTE and no longer support wimax. So what they have now is probably it until Sprint lets them start selling LTE devices.

Yeah, I had a feeling that would happen.

Um the sgs2 people its wimax and i think boost or virgin selling it now

Sent from my white Epic 4g Touch

He asked if we thought if there would be any new WiMax devices. The SGS2 is already sold on Virgin.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been with Boost Mobile since their inception and had a Motorola Krzr. I was so glad when Sprint decided to give 4G WIMAX to Boost! Yes, the coverage has swiss cheese holes, but where coverage is good, it is good. I actually went out and bought the Evo Design 4G last May because my LG Lotus was painfully slow on 3G and the browser was horrible. I was dying to get a better phone and add getting WIMAX sealed the deal. I probably would still be using the Lotus if it wasn't for WIMAX. I will be using this phone until it defects/breaks or until WIMAX is turned off.

• Like 1

I have been with Boost Mobile since their inception and had a Motorola Krzr. I was so glad when Sprint decided to give 4G WIMAX to Boost! Yes, the coverage has swiss cheese holes, but where coverage is good, it is good. I actually went out and bought the Evo Design 4G last May because my LG Lotus was painfully slow on 3G and the browser was horrible. I was dying to get a better phone and add getting WIMAX sealed the deal. I probably would still be using the Lotus if it wasn't for WIMAX. I will be using this phone until it defects/breaks or until WIMAX is turned off.

Well if u like that u gonna love lte then boost just got that also.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I was looking at the Boost mobile website a couple weeks ago(not switching, looking for a friend of mine down in Tennessee) and seen that they already have 2 phones out that have LTE capabilities, the phones are the HTC One SV(299.99) and the Boost Force(199.99). Not to bad pricing on the phones, if someone can afford them.

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phones/#/

Well if u like that u gonna love lte then boost just got that also.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, good to know. I'm going to their website right after this post. We don't fully have LTE in Plantation, yet. I've heard that the I 95 corridor is getting lit up in the Ft Lauderdale area. However, I am going to wait for WIMAX to get shut down and will buy an LTE phone, which should have full coverage on BOOST by then.

• 7 months later...

Reviving this thread: Update

I have been officially decomissioned off WIMAX. WIMAX seemed to be getting faster every day. The HTC phone defected and I splurged and spent last month's bonus on a Galaxy SIII on 4 G LTE. I have extensively tested the LTE coverage and speeds all throughout the SEFL Tri county area and the SWFL area (LEE & Collier Counties) and must give Softbank credit. They really are positioning Sprint to be a relevant competitor with the big ones.

WIMAX's main shortfall is that it does not go too far, which is why there are so many swiss cheese coverage holes. WIMAX is just a bunch of really powerful WIFI hot spots running on a spectrum named Legacy 4G. My subdivision is in a swiss cheese hole in between two WIMAX towers, but we get LTE fine. I only have issues getting LTE on the first story of the house.

Edited by SpecialEdVTEC

WIMAX's main shortfall is that it does not go too far, which is why there are so many swiss cheese coverage holes. WIMAX is just a bunch of really powerful WIFI hot spots running on a spectrum named Legacy 4G.

Nope.  The same is true of TD-LTE.  Just like WiMAX, it is very much akin to powerful Wi-Fi.  Your problem is that you are comparing a poor performing, outdated device to a much better performing, much newer device.  Had WiMAX gained sufficient traction to be included in today's devices, the positive difference would be night and day.

AJ

Nope.  The same is true of TD-LTE.  Just like WiMAX, it is very much akin to powerful Wi-Fi.  Your problem is that you are comparing a poor performing, outdated device to a much better performing, much newer device.  Had WiMAX gained sufficient traction to be included in today's devices, the positive difference would be night and day.

AJ

Yup, Tis probably true. I wish WiMAX had more wins worldwide so that it would give the 3GPP competition but i think that boat has sailed.

AJ

Or maybe they configured the LTE antennas on the towers in my neighborhood's vicinity to better serve my neighborhood. 

Or maybe they configured the LTE antennas on the towers in my neighborhood's vicinity to better serve my neighborhood. 

Nor are you taking into account the fact that the only substantial wimax provider in the United States at the time (and maybe even the world?  I don't know) was broadcasting at 2.5 ghz.  Signals at that frequency do not propagate very well (distance wise) nor through many structures.  That was, of course, related to Clear's spectrum holdings at the time.  

But, yeah,  as people migrated off wimax to LTE devices, more bandwidth was freed up, allowing for faster DL speeds.  Several of us here in Atlanta noticed that as well. 

Once all 3 bands are fully deployed with "Spark,"  I'm sure you'll be even more impressed.