Virgin and Boost prepaid may get 4G love with Wimax?????

ericdabbs

Does that mean VM and BM will take over Wimax' date=' even after the 2015 contact is ended for Sprint?[/quote']

I don't think this will be a permanent thing. I believe that once Sprint finishes rolling out LTE Sprint will migrate Boost and VM over to LTE as well.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I don't think this will be a permanent thing. I believe that once Sprint finishes rolling out LTE Sprint will migrate Boost and VM over to LTE as well.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

That would be pretty cool!

I think it is permanent because why would they put out wimax phones knowing they ain't gonna keep wimax (vm boost) I think sprint Is gonna have lte and they gonna have wimax for their prepaid customers.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I think it is permanent because why would they put out wimax phones knowing they ain't gonna keep wimax (vm boost) I think sprint Is gonna have lte and they gonna have wimax for their prepaid customers.

If you mean by permanent until 2015 then I would agree with you that VM and BM will stay with Wimax. However if you mean that sprint will keep Wimax for VM and BM past 2015, then I disagree. Eventually everyone will migrate to LTE but for VM and BM, I hope Sprint is not planning to move them to LTE until 2015. Even Clearwire at some point probably in 2015 will tear down the Wimax network and refarm that spectrum to add additional LTE carriers.

To be honest, VM and BM customers should not be complaining since even AT&T and verizon don't offer 4G service to its prepaid customers and should be happy with getting 4G Wimax service or a decent Wimax footprint. The majority of the big markets are covered in the Wimax network. Tmobile offers its HSPA+ network and other prepaid carriers like MetroPCS and Cricket are offering LTE service for its customers but their LTE networks are negligible. MetroPCS has only about 16 LTE markets and I believe Leap only has 1 or 2 LTE markets.

If you mean by permanent until 2015 then I would agree with you that VM and BM will stay with Wimax. However if you mean that sprint will keep Wimax for VM and BM past 2015, then I disagree. Eventually everyone will migrate to LTE but for VM and BM, I hope Sprint is not planning to move them to LTE until 2015. Even Clearwire at some point probably in 2015 will tear down the Wimax network and refarm that spectrum to add additional LTE carriers.

To be honest, VM and BM customers should not be complaining since even AT&T and verizon don't offer 4G service to its prepaid customers and should be happy with getting 4G Wimax service or a decent Wimax footprint. The majority of the big markets are covered in the Wimax network. Tmobile offers its HSPA+ network and other prepaid carriers like MetroPCS and Cricket are offering LTE service for its customers but their LTE networks are negligible. MetroPCS has only about 16 LTE markets and I believe Leap only has 1 or 2 LTE markets.

I agree with you Eric. Once Clearwire transitions it's entire footprint to LTE, there won't be any reason for them to keep WiMax going. When the time comes to turn it off, they will offer their existing customers slightly lower prices to get newer data cards to switch to for LTE and then those who refuse to switch, they will just lose their service. WiMax is just going to be too costly to maintain once LTE goes live, and then Clearwire can use that extra capacity to pump out better data speeds for LTE.

• Like 1

Why this may be good for Sprint, a few things to consider...

The WiMAX infrastructure is already built and maintenance costs to Clearwire are very low, as long as they dont plan on expanding it, which is fine because they are in all major metros, it should be a relatively low cost to support millions of paying users. Remember, prepaid customers are willing to receive 4G in only major metros as they pay a lower monthly fee, while Sprint customers expect nationwide LTE. Also keep in mind that with Sprint's upgraded 3G speeds (1.6 - 2.5 mbps), those prepaid customers will be a lot happier. WiMAX may not be as fast as LTE but it still offers good speeds when compared to 3G, I have tested WiMAX in many markets and the average speeds are around 6 mbps, maxing out at around 12 mbps.

Another thing to think about is that 4G WiMAX chip prices have come down substantially, allowing Sprint to make this work. Additionally, wholesale / M2M agreements that Sprint has with major utilities, medical, manufacturing, automobile companies. Some of them run on Clearwire's 4G network and unless they want to move them to 3G or LTE, it would be wise for them to keep the WiMAX Network running as this is another revenue stream for the company supporting the Clearwire 4G WiMAX Network.

Edited by cervonim

Sorry to rain on the parade, should this topic be moved to WiMax????

That sounds like a good idea seeing as it was originally about WiMax to begin with. Would a moderator please move this topic to the WiMax section? Thank you.

• Like 1

Looks like Sprint today at the Q1 CC confirmed that Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile will be getting 4G Wimax later in Q2. I think this is good news for Virgin and Boost Mobile customers since now they will have access to 4G speeds and hopefully this will help relieve capacity on its 3G network. I really do hope that Sprint chooses the $10 premium data charge because they will need the Virgin and Boost Mobile customers to subsidize the Clearwire costs.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-adds-15m-iphones-q1-will-bring-wimax-prepaid-brands/2012-04-25

• Like 1

I guess this means that WiMAX will be around for a long long time.

Interesting.

Wimax was going to be here for a while anyways. Sprint signed a wholesale deal with Clearwire to provide Wimax until 2015. Mind as well have prepaid customers on it so that it keeps a steady stream of revenue for Clearwire and helps Sprint offload 3G capacity from its network. This allows Sprint to make use of their Wimax wholesale agreement while they slowly shift postpaid customers to LTE. Hopefully Sprint gets the prepaid customers to cough up the $10 premium data to supplement the Wimax costs.

I assume by end of 2015, Sprint should have enough capacity to bring on the prepaid customers to LTE and Clearwire can shut down the Wimax network and refarm that spectrum for additional LTE carriers.

Wimax was going to be here for a while anyways. Sprint signed a wholesale deal with Clearwire to provide Wimax until 2015. Mind as well have prepaid customers on it so that it keeps a steady stream of revenue for Clearwire and helps Sprint offload 3G capacity from its network. This allows Sprint to make use of their Wimax wholesale agreement while they slowly shift postpaid customers to LTE. Hopefully Sprint gets the prepaid customers to cough up the $10 premium data to supplement the Wimax costs.

I assume by end of 2015, Sprint should have enough capacity to bring on the prepaid customers to LTE and Clearwire can shut down the Wimax network and refarm that spectrum for additional LTE carriers.

The prepaid market is pretty strange. Usually devices have long shelf lives. I would expect WiMAX to keep running well beyond 2015 if they are launching prepaid.

I am starting to think that Sprint/Clear plan to keep WiMAX to resell and offer as a prepaid 4G service. As Clearwire regains its financial footing and starts to expand into newer markets to supplement Sprint, I am wondering if they will expand WiMAX as well.

I highly doubt Clearwire will put in any more capital to expand Wimax. The only reason why Wimax has any traction is because Clearwire does not currently have a LTE footprint. Once Clearwire starts offering wholesale LTE and especially once it blankets their entire Wimax footprint with LTE, all the wholesale customers will opt for a LTE wholesale agreement and Wimax will cease to exist. Lets not forget that Clearwire still has a lot of debt so any savings that they can have for only operating a single network is very welcomed. Its like same situation with Sprint between CDMA and iDEN. iDEN is a dying technology so Sprint is shutting it down to save operation costs and converting the spectrum to CDMA/LTE.

I wonder if Sprint is going to provide 4G WiMAX to its Assurance Wireless customers.

As of the earnings call, it wasn't on the presentation. Assurance is more focused on low income homes that can't afford some of the better features that we have with our smartphones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I highly doubt Clearwire will put in any more capital to expand Wimax. The only reason why Wimax has any traction is because Clearwire does not currently have a LTE footprint. Once Clearwire starts offering wholesale LTE and especially once it blankets their entire Wimax footprint with LTE, all the wholesale customers will opt for a LTE wholesale agreement and Wimax will cease to exist. Lets not forget that Clearwire still has a lot of debt so any savings that they can have for only operating a single network is very welcomed. Its like same situation with Sprint between CDMA and iDEN. iDEN is a dying technology so Sprint is shutting it down to save operation costs and converting the spectrum to CDMA/LTE.

One thing to remember about sprint shutting down their iDen network, it has separate towers, equipment, backhaul, etc. When clearwire introduces their LTE, they will likely be able to use the same sites and some of the same backhaul (hopefully adding additional if needed to make it faster) but it is not the same as sprint's network. Plus they have on average over 100Mhz of spectrum in all the top markets, and are only going to offer 1-3 20Mhz TDD-LTE carriers in each area. In other words, they have enough spectrum currently to operate both networks with spectrum to spare, and if they can still gain profit from the WiMax, why get rid of it just yet. There are still 10% of sprint customers that have WiMax phones currently, and now they are moving the phones onto the prepaid service to extend the life of the technology (from an phone manufacturer side, its easier to keep making the same thing than design something new). I think they will most probably keep WiMax live at the current sites until after 2015 to accommodate these customers, and don't forget... its much cheaper to run a current network than to build another, just keeping the lights on helps them keep some cash flow that will be necessary to build their LTE network. After that, I think they will slowly replace the equipment with LTE as they need additional capacity in a given area.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing them add more WiMax along side with new LTE deployments, as long as they can get the equipment cheap from a manufacturer (same idea as the phone manufacturers, but I have no idea if it is the same for equipment manufacturers) then there would be decent enough network for the prepaid segment, but for those who want performance, they would have to go to the post-paid side of sprint... If sprint ever offers LTE pre-paid before they make the switch to VOLTE and an all LTE network, they will see many people jump ship to their pre-paid segments and significantly lower monthly bills and the same network. I think clearwire should at least offer blanket coverage in the protection sites and give people some access to the network in the small towns they are already broadcasting a small amount of signal. They have more than enough spectrum, and if there are still people using the network, it will be profitable.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if Sprint will release anymore phones to Boost & Virgin Mobile with Wimax?

Probably not. The only Wimax phone not sold by either brand is the Moto Photon(?). All new Sprint phones are LTE and no longer support wimax. So what they have now is probably it until Sprint lets them start selling LTE devices.

• Like 1