Sprint and T-Mobile Antennas Coming Together

4GHoward

3 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Interesting...

Amphenol makes a 14 port antenna that would be well suited to the combined company post-merger. It has three 6 lowband ports and 8 midband ports, with surprisingly good antenna gain figures. Out of this single antenna, the combined company could run:

• 2x2 L600
  • 2x2 L700
  • 2x2 L800
  • 4x4 L1900
  • 4x4 L2100

A second antenna could be used for extra capacity and greater Tx/Rx diversity.

This type of antenna with a M-MIMO could be the standard setup nationwide. 

• Like 2

I wonder what these would look like.  On one tower I drive by daily, that had only Sprint antennas, recently, they added another "rack" of antennas.  The ones they just added look HUGE.  The are bigger than any antennas I've seen on a tower before.  There are 2 per sector.  One slightly smaller than the other.

5 minutes ago, clbowens said:

I wonder what these would look like.  On one tower I drive by daily, that had only Sprint antennas, recently, they added another "rack" of antennas.  The ones they just added look HUGE.  The are bigger than any antennas I've seen on a tower before.  There are 2 per sector.  One slightly smaller than the other.

Do you have photos of them you could upload?

Just now, clbowens said:

Sorry, I can't really get photos as I'm always driving at the time.

If you have a few extra minutes to stop and grab photos sometime, I'm sure I or else here could identify them. 

If they're on Google Street View, we could also take a look if you provide the address or coordinates...

Just now, RAvirani said:

If you have a few extra minutes to stop and grab photos sometime, I'm sure I or else here could identify them. 

If they're on Google Street View, we could also take a look if you provide the address or coordinates...

They are probably not on street view yet, but I will check.

I see nothing in his tweet that suggests it's for tmobile + sprint.

The frequencies listed covers the almost the entirety of every frequency in use today in the US outside of B71.

Most antenna manufacturer models are configured as such as they're agnostic to carrier entity.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

No, this is Ken speculating as Ken likes, and is wont to do. This is a common set of bands available on just about any modern antenna. Unless Sprint requires a specific antenna mod, which they don't because all their frequencies are listed here. As are AT&T, VZW, and most of T-Mobile's. 

In fact, I have three antennae currently in active receive and transmit on my house. They cover 698MHz, to 2700MHz, the high band only antenna with dual ports covers 1710-2700. I got them all off of ebay and guess which carrier I haven't pumped through them? None. I have a four port on the way that covers 600 to 3.7GHz. These examples let you know how common this configuration is, and at scale makes them more affordable and attractive across carriers for antenna manufacturers.

I see nothing in his tweet that suggests it's for tmobile + sprint.

The frequencies listed covers the almost the entirety of every frequency in use today in the US outside of B71.

Most antenna manufacturer models are configured as such as they're agnostic to carrier entity.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So possible for Sprint to use TMobile spectrum?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

So possible for Sprint to use TMobile spectrum?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Remember that the spectrum each carrier has isn't something they physically withhold from each other, but are licenses they are allowed to utilize. Sprint could easily use whatever frequency they wanted to (within hardware capabilities), but due to regulations regarding legal rights to use and to mitigate interference, are not allowed to.

Back in the day, antennas and coax as well as the technology such as CDMA or GSM wasn't as efficient and manufacturers were making specific equipment for smaller subsets of frequencies to help ensure ideal conditions per frequency. We no longer need one high band, one mid band, and two low band antennas per sector

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Here's a pic.  The top rack is Sprint, I know.  The lowest rack is the one they just added.

Also, I was NOT driving at the time.  🙂

20190412_091421.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, clbowens said:

Here's a pic.  The top rack is Sprint, I know.  The lowest rack is the one they just added.

Also, I was NOT driving at the time.  🙂

20190412_091421.jpg

Anybody able to identify those antennas?

On 4/18/2019 at 9:41 AM, clbowens said:

Anybody able to identify those antennas?

Hey, I know where those are. 😜

https://goo.gl/maps/WRs7iXeJrxnXoMKEA

Likely stuck in traffic too. 😏

I think those might be AT&T.  I saw those exact ones when I was traversing I-480 yesterday.  I haven't whipped out my FreedomPop at&t Sim in a while.  It doesn't look like anything VZW is deploying around here.

10 minutes ago, Joski1624 said:

Hey, I know where those are. 😜

https://goo.gl/maps/WRs7iXeJrxnXoMKEA

Likely stuck in traffic too. 😏

I think those might be AT&T.  I saw those exact ones when I was traversing I-480 yesterday.  I haven't whipped out my FreedomPop at&t Sim in a while.  It doesn't look like anything VZW is deploying around here.

Yes, that's exactly where those are.  🙂

• Like 1