Galaxy A-series 2019 Midrange phones

PythonFanPA

Samsung really has missed out on the midrange.  They either have flagship, or what come off as economy models.  Target high quality, midrange and stop letting others have your lunch in that segment.  They just have been afraid to cannibalize their flagship sales.  But if they do it right, they won't need to worry.

Robert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S4GRU said:

Samsung really has missed out on the midrange.  They either have flagship, or what come off as economy models.  Target high quality, midrange and stop letting others have your lunch in that segment.  They just have been afraid to cannibalize their flagship sales.  But if they do it right, they won't need to worry.

Robert

I agree with you Robert.  The 'high end' too has tilted far too high IMO pricewise - this applies to Apple as well, if not others - in the face of supposed 'innovations' that have at least sometimes introduced controversial debate at best to driving some loyal customers away in many respects - thinking the whole 'notch' angst just for starters. 

Beyond that though, the stark reality is that $400-500 every 2-3 years is about the limit for a ton of average consumers who just want all the main/usual suspect high points checked off, with more updated security and some perceivable performance improvement/better battery life than their last phone perhaps, and in most of those consumer's eyes/experience with the relative big picture plateau technology has hit, it doesn't take an $800-1k phone to give them that.  I state this as someone making this post on a refurbished LG G5 - there's literally nothing (other than having consistently reliable GPS, but that's something even then I could probably laterally switch to a used/refurbished GS7 and fix too if I wanted) I absolutely either want or need to do on a regular basis that I can't do currently with this phone. I'll eventually upgrade to something newer mainly to keep up with Android, and in my case I might be willing to shell out only maybe $300 or so to do that, but even then that's driven by OS/software vs hardware - and I'd still be getting a hardware upgrade regardless by default. 

I'm sure both companies will continue to make profit emphasizing the launch day/top of the line premium crowd at the expense of true midrange bang-for-the-buck value for now, but longterm they're going to be dangerously close to playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets instead of one - and all it takes is one company with a combination of the right phone at the right price with the right marketing and perfect timing to start changing the game entirely.  LG, Moto, OnePlus, others, eventually one of these companies are going to have a real shot at it if they finally bring the right package to market and Sammy/Apple keep with the status quo and disenfranchising enough people.  Not saying it *will* happen either, but it absolutely can.  It's not like we've never seen prior mountain kings toppled before in the consumer world, much less within our lifetime.

• Like 2

Frankly I think what cannibalizes their high end sales is picking up last year's model on Swappa or even used on a carrier's site.

We'll see how much of a value price point the S10e comes in at, but I'm guessing at least $700, so not much of a mid range value.

LG could really offer an attractive alternative, but they price their flagships just as high as Samsung, but then drop in value even more months down the road.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

Frankly I think what cannibalizes their high end sales is picking up last year's model on Swappa or even used on a carrier's site.

This is exactly what I am going to be doing. I have 2 galaxy S-7's both with deteriorating batteries. When the S-10 hits the shelves, surely the S-9 will go on sale somewhere.  I either get  a new S-9 at a good discounted price, or I get one on Swappa, or maybe buy the new "A" series Samsung phone.   No S-10 for me.  If the S-7's had HPUE, I would probably just get new batteries in the S-7's.

• Like 1

I was considering a mint or at least good condition GS8 or possibly the LG G7 by around midyear myself.   The G7's especially, you can already get a refurbished G7 for under $300 via eBay, and a good to mint G7 for between 300-400 (though timing/constant monitoring matters on something like Swappa it seems).  

I don't get too fussed about the launchers as I always switch to Nova and personalize everything back to my liking anyway, so unless there's some sort of hardware deal breaker (which generally no longer applies for me anymore since everyone abandoned removable batteries), I don't really tend to defer to Samsung over all else, and unless I can still hit the $300 or possibly $325 max (a stretch even then), I'm not banking on being able to find an S9 reduced that much that quickly.

4 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

I was considering a mint or at least good condition GS8 or possibly the LG G7 by around midyear myself.   The G7's especially, you can already get a refurbished G7 for under $300 via eBay, and a good to mint G7 for between 300-400 (though timing/constant monitoring matters on something like Swappa it seems).  

I don't get too fussed about the launchers as I always switch to Nova and personalize everything back to my liking anyway, so unless there's some sort of hardware deal breaker (which generally no longer applies for me anymore since everyone abandoned removable batteries), I don't really tend to defer to Samsung over all else, and unless I can still hit the $300 or possibly $325 max (a stretch even then), I'm not banking on being able to find an S9 reduced that much that quickly.

Galaxy S-8's are still expensive.  I hate to drop back to a two year old model to get  a reasonable phone.  I had hopes that the S-9 would get cheap quickly, but the S-8 sure is holding its value.    I will look quite favorable on the new "A" series when it becomes available.  I would like to have band 71 capability but not pay almost $1000 to get it.  Will have to see if the "A" series really do have band 71.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's gotta be a typo. The A71 5G lists B24 support rather than B25...24 is L band, which I've seen used by precisely no one in the US. It's also marked as an LTE band for native service rather than roaming, alongside 26 and 41. $10 says that's a typo for B25.

16 hours ago, iansltx said:

That's gotta be a typo. The A71 5G lists B24 support rather than B25...24 is L band, which I've seen used by precisely no one in the US. It's also marked as an LTE band for native service rather than roaming, alongside 26 and 41. $10 says that's a typo for B25.

Okay, I have now ordered the A71 to replace my G7 based on your assurance.

I have the A71 now.  How do I set screen time out to never?

10 minutes is currently the longest setting displayed. :(

My past LG phones had never as an option.

1 hour ago, JimBob said:

My LG G8 doesn't have never as an option. 10 minutes is the max amount.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 3:03 PM, JimBob said:

I don't remember 'Never' being an option in the regular options, but you can always enable Developer options and then check the box to never timeout during charging - that's a must for me for every Android phone I ever get.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The following worked from a google search.  The screen still dims, but at least it doesn't totally timeout.

If it's sufficient for you to only keep screen on when charging, you can turn on the Stay awake option in Developer options.

To do this:

1. Open Settings, navigate to About [device] (tablet, phone etc.)
  2. Find Build number entry there. If there's none, it may be in Software information subsection.
  3. Tap Build number 7 times
  4. Make sure that a message pops up saying that you've become a developer (or that developer mode is already enabled)
  5. Go back to Settings main menu
  6. Find the newly-appeared Developer options item
  7. Turn on Stay awake option
  • Like 2

How do you like the phone JimBob? I'm thinking about picking one up. Any big issues you don't like? I was gonna wait for the LG Velvet but no face unlock on that one hurts. I know 2D face unlock isn't very secure but it's almost a must have for me.

I'll jump in. I got one about a month ago, and I am happy so far. It seems to run apps much faster than my aging GS7, and cellular reception in far exurban Chicagoland is reasonable. Battery life is excellent. The cameras are pretty good. My only complaint so far is that it can't seem to decide whether it wants to be on Sprint's or TMobile's network (although both are still rather patchy where I live). With Sprint's outrageous $15/month offer, it seems like a bargain. 

15 minutes ago, tommym65 said:

I'll jump in. I got one about a month ago, and I am happy so far. It seems to run apps much faster than my aging GS7, and cellular reception in far exurban Chicagoland is reasonable. Battery life is excellent. The cameras are pretty good. My only complaint so far is that it can't seem to decide whether it wants to be on Sprint's or TMobile's network (although both are still rather patchy where I live). With Sprint's outrageous $15/month offer, it seems like a bargain. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I thought the phone only worked on TMobile's network? I'm just going by what the Sprint site says. I'm used to the double-tap to sleep or wake that LG has. I'm guessing the Samsung doesn't have that? I'd use Nova Launcher (guessing I could get that feature back). Did they let you trade the GS7 to get that price? My father has an old GS7. I'd like to upgrade his line too.

Just now, mideastbeast said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I thought the phone only worked on TMobile's network? I'm just going by what the Sprint site says. I'm used to the double-tap to sleep or wake that LG has. I'm guessing the Samsung doesn't have that? I'd use Nova Launcher (guessing I could get that feature back). Did they let you trade the GS7 to get that price? My father has an old GS7. I'd like to upgrade his line too.

It runs all of Sprint's and TMobile's bands, I've checked with Samsung Band Selector. It's rather unpredictable what carrier you'll be on at any time - it seems to prefer TMO. 

No trade required. (I now have my old GS7 on the special new free Sprint line they offered last month. I use it to track my bicycle rides, because [minor complaint here] the A71 5G is too tall to fit in the phone carrier on my bike. The A71 is significantly larger that my GS7, which itself is an Edge and rather large.) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tommym65 said:

It runs all of Sprint's and TMobile's bands, I've checked with Samsung Band Selector. It's rather unpredictable what carrier you'll be on at any time - it seems to prefer TMO. 

No trade required. (I now have my old GS7 on the special new free Sprint line they offered last month. I use it to track my bicycle rides, because [minor complaint here] the A71 5G is too tall to fit in the phone carrier on my bike. The A71 is significantly larger that my GS7, which itself is an Edge and rather large.) 

Hum, good to know about the bands. They offered me $12.50 a month but only with a phone trade in (my LG G8). I didn't get the $15/month offer you got. I might have missed that offer by a couple days. She did say if I waited till August 2nd they'd have other offers so I guess I'll wait. My phone is 6.1 inches and I see the A71 5G is 6.7 inches. I like that part. Plus my battery isn't what it used to be.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:57 PM, tommym65 said:

Are you having problems with missing calls or calls going straight to voicemail? Reading the reviews on the T-Mobile version a lot of people are having problems. I've heard it's better to keep the network on 4G, 3-g and 2G automatic rather than 5G while these upgrades are going on