lilotimz

Official Magic Box discussion thread

14 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Ah,  When you said "skipped house payment", I assumed mortgage. Thanks for clarifying.

I have no doubt that people would give up internet before cell phone or electricity, but with internet become close to a "utility" in all but regulations, I think many will choose a cheaper housing situation before cancelling overpriced Comcast - if they have that option.

There's always hope next administration will drop that $100 billion to bring fiber everywhere. :)

Downloaded the app, tried bands 2, 4, 12, 66 and 71. Showed no service on all bands. Band 71 tried to connect, but ultimately failed. Thanks for the idea though!400f20804e234a8543262b50aea07e82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's really weird. Have you connected to T-Mobile before? On my Pixels I'm able to disable the Sprint bands and they happily connect to T-Mobile. That almost seems like something is preventing you from using T-mobile in general.

And just to confirm, you're using Sprint postpaid right? Not an MVNO?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That's really weird. Have you connected to T-Mobile before? On my Pixels I'm able to disable the Sprint bands and they happily connect to T-Mobile. That almost seems like something is preventing you from using T-mobile in general.

And just to confirm, you're using Sprint postpaid right? Not an MVNO?

Yep, Sprint postpaid. I even drove out of the area to see if it would work elsewhere, but nothing. I've connected to T-Mobile roaming before, and it's always B66 or B12 on my S10 Plus according to SignalCheck. I'll keep an eye on my iPhone XR as well for roaming, as I usually carry both phones with me and they generally roam in the same places (although Field Test mode is a PITA). Maybe something happened because of last weeks update?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Anyone noticed that MB Gold speeds have been drastically capped even with Wi-Fi Backhaul?  I'm not getting more than 7Mbit anymore where I used to see 30Mbit +.

1 hour ago, crazy_vag said:

Anyone noticed that MB Gold speeds have been drastically capped even with Wi-Fi Backhaul?  I'm not getting more than 7Mbit anymore where I used to see 30Mbit +.

They just offered to send me a magicbox gold and volte amp to help with voice calls. Really curious as to how long this will work now that the merger is happening.  

3 minutes ago, jakeliford said:

They just offered to send me a magicbox gold and volte amp to help with voice calls. Really curious as to how long this will work now that the merger is happening.  

VoLTE requires better bandwidth control, so capping speeds night indicate VoLTE is coming.

I'm still getting 50-90 Mbps (depending on how close I am to it). You might want to double check that it didn't fall to 2.4 GHz. Mine is Ethernet backhauled though.
VoLTE requires better bandwidth control, so capping speeds night indicate VoLTE is coming.
VoLTE has been live for many months on all the femtos. They don't need to cap anything for it to work. In my experience using LTE backhaul on a magic box with VoLTE, it didn't do well at congestion control (was cutting out because the donor was congested), so I'm skeptical that they tunnel VoLTE over a prioritized EUTRA session on relay. So if they aren't doing something as "basic" as this when they completely control the network, they almost certainly won't be doing anything on wifi or Ethernet backhaul to try to give VoLTE special treatment.

1 hour ago, ingenium said:

I'm still getting 50-90 Mbps (depending on how close I am to it). You might want to double check that it didn't fall to 2.4 GHz. Mine is Ethernet backhauled though.VoLTE has been live for many months on all the femtos. They don't need to cap anything for it to work. In my experience using LTE backhaul on a magic box with VoLTE, it didn't do well at congestion control (was cutting out because the donor was congested), so I'm skeptical that they tunnel VoLTE over a prioritized EUTRA session on relay. So if they aren't doing something as "basic" as this when they completely control the network, they almost certainly won't be doing anything on wifi or Ethernet backhaul to try to give VoLTE special treatment.

I did double check, but it was doing about 2GB a day at 2.4 GHz and about 3GB a day on 5GHz.  Now it's maybe couple hundred MB a day.  Perhaps it's a slow rollout.

To be honest, I haven't tried VoLTE on MB yet.  Sounds like it's time to give it a whirl...

BTW. This is all in San Francisco.

14 hours ago, ingenium said:

I'm still getting 50-90 Mbps (depending on how close I am to it). You might want to double check that it didn't fall to 2.4 GHz. Mine is Ethernet backhauled though.VoLTE has been live for many months on all the femtos. They don't need to cap anything for it to work. In my experience using LTE backhaul on a magic box with VoLTE, it didn't do well at congestion control (was cutting out because the donor was congested), so I'm skeptical that they tunnel VoLTE over a prioritized EUTRA session on relay. So if they aren't doing something as "basic" as this when they completely control the network, they almost certainly won't be doing anything on wifi or Ethernet backhaul to try to give VoLTE special treatment.

I know on mine anytime I make a call it switches to 1x for the duration of the call and then goes back to LTE when the call is over.  I am able to VOLTE when out in town though.  Maybe soon.

I know on mine anytime I make a call it switches to 1x for the duration of the call and then goes back to LTE when the call is over.  I am able to VOLTE when out in town though.  Maybe soon.
Factory reset it and make sure it has a good GPS signal. After a factory reset it should get it within a couple weeks assuming that it has a good GPS lock.