Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

30 minutes ago, banananuts87 said:

Using a router supplied by Frontier. WEP I think. Às I’m in an apartment complex I’m assuming that’s why I can’t scan for 5ghz

Living in an apartment has no impact on whether you can scan for 5GHz.

My 2nd gen updated today and enabled WiFi backhaul. Not going to use it, since it has a good B41 connection.

Made three calls, VoLTE has not connected yet.

SW Ver. 15.16.50.944

f850bd463dec7d235b67a586f7efd7c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jasonsteele said:

My 2nd gen updated today and enabled WiFi backhaul. Not going to use it, since it has a good B41 connection.

Made three calls, VoLTE has not connected yet.

SW Ver. 15.16.50.944

f850bd463dec7d235b67a586f7efd7c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would use the Wifi...

• 3 weeks later...

I changed the backhaul to WiFi and did a speediest. I get about the same results as LTE backhaul. On the other hand if I leave WiFi on on the phone itself I get twice the performance. Is there a way to aggregate the links? LTE backhauled cellular + WiFi?

58 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

I changed the backhaul to WiFi and did a speediest. I get about the same results as LTE backhaul. On the other hand if I leave WiFi on on the phone itself I get twice the performance. Is there a way to aggregate the links? LTE backhauled cellular + WiFi?

On your phone without modifying the network stack - area that's pretty locked down.

But there is a standard that would allow carriers to use Wi-Fi frequency for downlink.  Not sure how I feel about that, since Wi-Fi bandwidth doesn't share as efficiently as LTE (at least not until both phone + router are Wi-Fi 6).

The MB maxes out at about 85-90 Mbps, regardless of backhaul. It seems to be some kind of hardware limit, either on the LTE eNB or on the ipsec tunnel. The Airave 4 is exactly the same.

Both my Airave and MB are connected via Ethernet on a gigabit connection and max out at that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ingenium said:

The MB maxes out at about 85-90 Mbps, regardless of backhaul. It seems to be some kind of hardware limit, either on the LTE eNB or on the ipsec tunnel. The Airave 4 is exactly the same.

Both my Airave and MB are connected via Ethernet on a gigabit connection and max out at that.

I was thinking about the device side. If there is a setting that will aggregate the two data streams, the LTE stream and the WiFi stream.

I was thinking about the device side. If there is a setting that will aggregate the two data streams, the LTE stream and the WiFi stream.
I think some Samsung phones support it, but it's disabled in the US at the request of the carriers.

For a single connection, it would need to utilize Multipath TCP. And the destination server would also need to support it (which is rare). The only major deployment that I'm aware of is Apple using it for I think FaceTime, and maybe other Apple services. It's done so that when connectivity changes (for example going from wifi to LTE) there is no interruption. I don't know if they actually aggregate the connections otherwise.

It's possible that Sprint also does it for VoLTE -> Vowifi hand-off. I know that Vowifi uses an ipsec tunnel (UDP), but within that tunnel the SIP connection uses TCP, which surprised me. This could be a valid reason for using TCP I guess, to allow seamless transitions.

7 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I think some Samsung phones support it, but it's disabled in the US at the request of the carriers.

For a single connection, it would need to utilize Multipath TCP. And the destination server would also need to support it (which is rare). The only major deployment that I'm aware of is Apple using it for I think FaceTime, and maybe other Apple services. It's done so that when connectivity changes (for example going from wifi to LTE) there is no interruption. I don't know if they actually aggregate the connections otherwise.

It's possible that Sprint also does it for VoLTE -> Vowifi hand-off. I know that Vowifi uses an ipsec tunnel (UDP), but within that tunnel the SIP connection uses TCP, which surprised me. This could be a valid reason for using TCP I guess, to allow seamless transitions.

Thanks! 

just requested a Magic Box and was told I was receiving Gold. 

After setting my parents up with the original AirRave, I hope its a better experience than that was. I watched a setup vid on YouTube and it seems straightforward and much simpler then before. 

Popping back into this thread quick, read back a few pages but....... Is the "Magic Box Gold" still the newest Magic Box? I'm heading home this weekend and want to make sure I update anything necessary for them then. 

Thanks guys! 

Popping back into this thread quick, read back a few pages but....... Is the "Magic Box Gold" still the newest Magic Box? I'm heading home this weekend and want to make sure I update anything necessary for them then. 
Thanks guys! 
Magic Box gold is the highest tier magic box which is not readily offered to non business customers.

The Magic Box silver and Gen1/2s are their main offerings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Magic Box gold is the highest tier magic box which is not readily offered to non business customers.

Thanks! they have the Magic Box Gold at their house already, I'll make sure it's up to date. Though they finally upgraded their internet so there's not too much of a need for it anymore. 

23 hours ago, lilotimz said:

What constitutes a business customer?  Would an HOA which would want one to cover basement of thousands of residents constitute as a "business customer"?