Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

22 minutes ago, ingenium said:

That's the original software that it launched with. It's likely saying limited connectivity because it's unable to use it, and is probably falling back to LTE.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Then it has never been updated.

Mine never moves from WiFi. if I reboot, it never completes the boot up process.

51 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Then it has never been updated.

Mine never moves from WiFi. if I reboot, it never completes the boot up process.

The update hasn't pushed yet. 

Basically the unit cannot establish a connection whatsoever back to Sprint over IPSEC. 

TLDR: Sprint™ speed

On 2/2/2019 at 5:54 PM, lilotimz said:

The update hasn't pushed yet. 

Basically the unit cannot establish a connection whatsoever back to Sprint over IPSEC. 

TLDR: Sprint™ speed

Yeah, I realized that after my Magic Box auto-restarted itself overnight and got stuck at the configuration screen. I had to change it back to LTE Backhaul and restart it again for it to get back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

In our situation, the  magic box works only as well as an Airave with about a 20Mbit backhaul.  But it's not the speed we are worried about.  We need coverage at the city-block level.  And because Sprint has crippled the functionality by disallowing active data hand-ins, it pretty much ruins every advantage the MagicBox brings to the table, for our situation. 

I have done the tests - our MagicBox is the strongest Sprint signal on our entire block.  It just so happens, it's also the only really usable signal.   The good news is that we put it on our top floor, by the window, and it does get good B25 backhaul there (~-105db).

• Like 1

I don't see a major difference in the gen3, gen2 and my outdoor version. I do hear a small fan running inside this outdoor version.. and the display has some slight visual differences... far as performance, it actually does perform better for me in the fringe area that I live in. I'm carrying my gen3 with me to different places, and using my gen2 mostly at my fire department. ea21a2e61628a21f70fd2d1a29671166.jpg0608adf8b438927ccb4470331de566b8.jpgcd38b82743e9b2c00da48b734592bf89.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

BTW...I forgot to mention...this particular version has a management wlan that disappears after a set amount of time. (if it's  anything like our radios running AirOS8 in the WISP I work with, then the management wlan is only active for 7 or 15 minutes, depending on if it's default or purposely set to 15.)

1 hour ago, belusnecropolis said:

Of all the magic boxes I have torn down I do not recall seeing a cooling fan. Is this an s1000 you are referring too?

I'm not sure...I posted the pic of the model # if that is telling. I got this one through a different channel.

43 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

What is S1000? Is that still in the magic box 54* series?
The above photos are the MB with the fan inside. Also, the pic shows the one that has the startup management wlan.

Thanks good pics. The s1k is an outdoor locally backhauled femto. Industrial magic box if you will.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:45 AM, jonathanm1978 said:

I'm not sure...I posted the pic of the model # if that is telling. I got this one through a different channel.

The posted one is the GEN 1 OG (AU545) release model with the E-Ink display. Gen 2 is the same unit with a LCD display with ID AU544. There's also a hospitality version AU546 that has better aesthetics and water resistance.

I wonder if they modified that unit you got with active cooling as all the MBs and radios these days are passively cooled using heatsinks. 

3 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Thanks good pics. The s1k is an outdoor locally backhauled femto. Industrial magic box if you will.

S1000 is an indoor LTE femto cell produced by commscope / airvana. Same LTE unit that's inside Airave 3's. 

• Like 1

I was told by Mr. Schnelbacher that i was being sent a water resistant magic box... definitely hear a fan inside.
I have somehow acquired 3 magic boxes now... does anyone know for sure how long they can go without being connected before sprint will bill it and turn off the sim?

I was told by Mr. Schnelbacher that i was being sent a water resistant magic box... definitely hear a fan inside.
I have somehow acquired 3 magic boxes now... does anyone know for sure how long they can go without being connected before sprint will bill it and turn off the sim?

Are they showing up on your account? If not, they are likely on an engineering or some other account at Sprint. Those units seemingly can go indefinitely without being powered on. I had one off for 6-8 months before I put it back in service and it came up fine.

For a unit on your account, I think it's like 2 weeks or so before you start getting calls and texts from Sprint telling you to return it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Has a firmware update been pushed out to fix issues that were going on with the newest Magic Box Gold yet? I think it was supposed to enable wired backhaul too...
No. There was a beta firmware that one person was able to get pushed to their MB, and it added some things to the non-relay backhaul options, but it still was not working. They're seemingly having trouble getting it to work for some reason. Sprint is apparently having lots of software configuration related issues lately, between this and VoLTE rollout issues.

• Like 1

So..weird issue with MB (MB2, MB Gold, and MB "water resistant" versions). I've verified this issue is not just related to a single tower either.. and not just the 3 magic boxes that I have to tinker with...

Until yesterday morning, all 3 MB that I have, and a family member who has one, was working fine. No issues. I've been using magic boxes for over a year now (since they launched, I've had one in the same spot and it's worked fine)...

I wake up yesterday morning to no LTE on my note 9.. and shortly thereafter I'm informed by 3 of my 4 children that "hey the magic box isn't working, I have no data"

...so I go out and check on the demo magic box ...the "water resistant" version...which has been fine and worked since day one when I sat it in it's place..(so, 2 months without a hiccup).

I started resetting it. I tried 2-3 factory resets, and the thing is, it seemingly connected. I am still getting 2 of 3 boxes checked green ..the 3rd box won't establish or finalize...

On the box it tells me that GPS is locked (green checkmark), Relay Connected (green checkmark), but the 3rd one, LTE connecting just stays...

So far it's been sitting on that all day. A factory reset now and then, still has the 2 checkmarks green for GPS and Relay Connected...but LTE connecting doesn't appear.

The gold edition has the menu when it's two-thirds complete in the setup...so you can cheat to see how the signal looks before it finalizes if you hit menu, then hit network settings (where the backhaul options are located)..

I've taken it to a place where there is ample B25 and 2nd carrier B25...and under the Network Settings when it gets 2/3 done, it tells me that signal is excellent... But it just never finishes. I'm guessing the point where they are stopping is at the B41 radio starting broadcast..

Can anyone tell me what Sprint may have done in this area (S, SE of Bham, AL) that would render me unable to use the magic box? I've talked with Sprint today, the boxes are provisioned properly...so it's not on my end that I can tell...

(to verify it's not just on the tower that I use for donor site, I took my magic box to my fire department and left it for 8 hours, and the tower for that area is in Shelby county -- across the river. So it's not just the tower that I hit from my house, it's also doing it on the tower in another county that is slightly NE of me)...

30 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

So..weird issue with MB (MB2, MB Gold, and MB "water resistant" versions). I've verified this issue is not just related to a single tower either.. and not just the 3 magic boxes that I have to tinker with...

Until yesterday morning, all 3 MB that I have, and a family member who has one, was working fine. No issues. I've been using magic boxes for over a year now (since they launched, I've had one in the same spot and it's worked fine)...

I wake up yesterday morning to no LTE on my note 9.. and shortly thereafter I'm informed by 3 of my 4 children that "hey the magic box isn't working, I have no data"

...so I go out and check on the demo magic box ...the "water resistant" version...which has been fine and worked since day one when I sat it in it's place..(so, 2 months without a hiccup).

I started resetting it. I tried 2-3 factory resets, and the thing is, it seemingly connected. I am still getting 2 of 3 boxes checked green ..the 3rd box won't establish or finalize...

On the box it tells me that GPS is locked (green checkmark), Relay Connected (green checkmark), but the 3rd one, LTE connecting just stays...

So far it's been sitting on that all day. A factory reset now and then, still has the 2 checkmarks green for GPS and Relay Connected...but LTE connecting doesn't appear.

The gold edition has the menu when it's two-thirds complete in the setup...so you can cheat to see how the signal looks before it finalizes if you hit menu, then hit network settings (where the backhaul options are located)..

I've taken it to a place where there is ample B25 and 2nd carrier B25...and under the Network Settings when it gets 2/3 done, it tells me that signal is excellent... But it just never finishes. I'm guessing the point where they are stopping is at the B41 radio starting broadcast..

Can anyone tell me what Sprint may have done in this area (S, SE of Bham, AL) that would render me unable to use the magic box? I've talked with Sprint today, the boxes are provisioned properly...so it's not on my end that I can tell...

(to verify it's not just on the tower that I use for donor site, I took my magic box to my fire department and left it for 8 hours, and the tower for that area is in Shelby county -- across the river. So it's not just the tower that I hit from my house, it's also doing it on the tower in another county that is slightly NE of me)...

Your address shows "available" here?

https://www.sprint.com/landings/magic-box-eligibility/index.html

3 hours ago, though said:

It probably doesn't, see my quote below...

4 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

I've been using magic boxes for over a year now (since they launched, I've had one in the same spot and it's worked fine)...

Usually Sprint says my address doesn't show up as available for the magic box. 

When Magic Box launched, I called to get one..at THAT time, my address was eligible for the Magic Box and had the proper freqs, according to their map. So they sent one. That magic box worked fine for over a year..then I wanted the gen2...so I swapped. That magic box worked fine...until the Gen2 got wet and I needed to swap..then I got the Gold...and it worked fine...

Fast forward..I've added a 2nd MB, plus gotten a MB on a demo account by emailing Mr. Schnelbacher...and they've all worked..until Saturday morning. 

While my address may not show up as eligible, the MB does work here. 

2 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

Usually Sprint says my address doesn't show up as available for the magic box. 

When Magic Box launched, I called to get one..at THAT time, my address was eligible for the Magic Box and had the proper freqs, according to their map. So they sent one. That magic box worked fine for over a year..then I wanted the gen2...so I swapped. That magic box worked fine...until the Gen2 got wet and I needed to swap..then I got the Gold...and it worked fine...

Fast forward..I've added a 2nd MB, plus gotten a MB on a demo account by emailing Mr. Schnelbacher...and they've all worked..until Saturday morning. 

While my address may not show up as eligible, the MB does work here. 

My address also shows as "not available", however I was able to get 2 of them. If you boot them up in a working location, then take them back to my address, they work, but temporarily. After a while, they will do exactly what you are describing.

I have since moved them to other locations where they are listed as "available" on that site and they work as they should.

My 'guess' is that you lucked out in getting them to work as long as you did, but recently the loophole has been plugged?