Jump to content
lilotimz

Official Magic Box discussion thread

Recommended Posts

I imagine this one won't be free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty cool. I wish it were Google Assistant instead of Alexa though. I've already gone all-in on the Google Home ecosystem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which side of the gen 3 magic box should be aimed at the donor macro for best signal?  Front (screen side) or back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The back, non screen side towards donor site (tower). As far as the direction of b41, I can receive it around 75ft in all directions(maybe more).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a big difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen magic box. In my home my magic box says Band 41 (Low). This is near the window where signal is best. I get like -107 to -116 dB. Anyone know if gen 3 would make a difference?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, map4239 said:

Is there a big difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen magic box. In my home my magic box says Band 41 (Low). This is near the window where signal is best. I get like -107 to -116 dB. Anyone know if gen 3 would make a difference?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "Low" doesn't refer to the signal quality, there is Band 41 High and Band 41 Low - just a frequency thing. 

That's a decently usable signal, I wouldn't expect anything really noticeable out of a Gen 3. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Your water resistant Magic Box is on the way.  This unit is on a demo account and you will not see it on your personal Sprint account..


Anxious to see this thing in action. I will try to remember to get photos Thursday when I receive it.




Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to hand it to Mr Schnelbacher...him and his team are quick. From the time I sent the first email and explained the scenario I have...it's barely been 2 weeks. I needed an outdoor solution... A magic box that could be outside but not be harmed by the elements. 

I'm about to stick a Rohn 20 tower up for a local WISP that I work with...while it's being placed in order to deploy air fiber, I'm going to use a section of it to stick this magic box and see how well it can work without being worried about rain/etc.  He did tell me in our back-n-forth that it's water resistant...NOT waterproof. So I will have to provide ~~some~~ level of protection... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're approaching that end of January deadline for Magic Boxes to receive the ethernet/WiFi backhaul firmware update. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke too soon.

ABYkej9.jpg

3jGpgnD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I spoke too soon.

ABYkej9.jpg

3jGpgnD.jpg

So I guess we have to wait a little bit longer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigsnake49 said:

So I guess we have to wait a little bit longer...

If you have a Gen 3, it should work now. I have my Magic Box connected to my home WiFi right now. I don't know why it's saying Limited Connectivity though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

If you have a Gen 3, it should work now. I have my Magic Box connected to my home WiFi right now. I don't know why it's saying Limited Connectivity though.

I did try it and my LTE signal on my phone went back to 110-114dbm instead of -85 at my favorite chair which means the Magic Box is not working on WiFi backhaul. Mine also shows limited connectivity. Have you tried doing a speedest?

 

Edited by bigsnake49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigsnake49 said:

I did try it and my LTE signal on my phone went back to 110-114dbm instead of -85 at my favorite chair which means the Magic Box is not working on WiFi backhaul. Mine also shows limited connectivity. Have you tried doing a speediest?

 

Yeah, I pay for 250/12 internet and I got 77/8 through the Magic Box with a 19ms ping.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Yeah, I pay for 250/12 internet and I got 77/8 through the Magic Box with a 19ms ping.

What is your signal out of the MB? How about your release numbers? I wonder if mine did not receive the update. Mine shows me connected to Band 26 after I select WiFi backhaul. I am on the 100/10 tier but I usually get 120/12.

Edited by bigsnake49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

What is your signal out of the MB? How about your release numbers? I wonder if mine did not receive the update. Mine shows me connected to Band 26 after I select WiFi backhaul. I am on the 100/10 tier but I usually get 120/12.

It could take a day or 2 to connect back to the MB. try rebooting your phone, then give it a day or 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, though said:

It could take a day or 2 to connect back to the MB. try rebooting your phone, then give it a day or 3.

On WiFi backhaul?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigsnake49 said:

On WiFi backhaul?

it does at times when not on wifi backhaul, so doubt it would be any different...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, though said:

it does at times when not on wifi backhaul, so doubt it would be any different...

There's nothing to optimize. You tell it which WiFi AP it should use, give it the password and off it goes. On LTE backhaul it has to optimize which Band 41 channel to use from which tower.

Edited by bigsnake49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My release numbers: 15.16.0.533, 60.9.83.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lotto numbers are 03, 04, 05, 21, 22, 46
And my favorite color is clear

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

My lotto numbers are 03, 04, 05, 21, 22, 46

Try 04, 08, 15, 16, 23, 42 instead.

Lost-Numbers1.png

 

 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I spoke too soon.
ABYkej9.jpg
3jGpgnD.jpg
What software release are you on?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ingenium said:

What software release are you on?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
 

Same as @bigsnake49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Same as [mention=696]bigsnake49[/mention]
That's the original software that it launched with. It's likely saying limited connectivity because it's unable to use it, and is probably falling back to LTE.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...