lilotimz

Official Magic Box discussion thread

Makes sense, though I only get great reception in one area of the attic, in this spot my UE note 9 reliably always pulls 200+ on B41...

The MB3 Gold  @ -95db, 19+ SINR unreliably pushes 90mbps max.  And it needs a reboot multiple times a day, with speeds fluctuating down to 4mbps...still working with IBS to resolve these issues, so far they have pushed some new firmware, has fixed some other issues...

Just wondering what others are seeing in real life usage on this new model

1 hour ago, alphaalphagamma said:

Makes sense, though I only get great reception in one area of the attic, in this spot my UE note 9 reliably always pulls 200+ on B41...

The MB3 Gold  @ -95db, 19+ SINR unreliably pushes 90mbps max.  And it needs a reboot multiple times a day, with speeds fluctuating down to 4mbps...still working with IBS to resolve these issues, so far they have pushed some new firmware, has fixed some other issues...

Also keep in mind, it is self optimizing. So you need to let it be for at least a week untouched for it to settle in with its surrounding sites. If your constantly rebooting it it will never complete its optimization.

• Like 5

My gen3 MB was delivered today. Haven't had time to set it up ...I was home long enough to receive the delivery, then had to dip. When I get back from my free steak dinner (reward for completing my certification for hazmat and firefighter)... I'm going to set it up. I already have a gen2... still active on my account. The gen3 will be a spare... I'm trying to find a better spot for my MB... and now I don't lose service while I'm testing different locations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can someone give the most recent firmware version? Got the new one up and running...sw is 15.16.00.533 (60.9.83.0)

Thanks.

9 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

I already have a gen2... still active on my account. The gen3 will be a spare...

If you are using VoLTE, you will want to use the MB Gen3 as production. I encourage you to use the other MB at another location: work, charity, library, bar, or restaurant, etc.

• Like 1

That's likely going to be the setup that I use. These things work, but it's weird to try and set one up in a fringe area... I'm still running the gen3 setup to get it working. I took it to my fire department where there is really good b25 lte... I let it do the initial setup.. then brought it back home to place it. 

On 12/27/2018 at 12:16 AM, alphaalphagamma said:

Since you have the capacity available, your Magic Box should likely give you pretty reliable speeds most of the time. But like nexgen said, it is more about providing a clean, strong signal where there otherwise might be a weaker, less stable signal than providing ultra fast speeds. Since the Magic Box is likely only going to serve a few users at a time, it doesn't need to broadcast 3 carriers and push those 200+Mbps speeds to remain reliable. 

Will a magic box from ebay work or does it have to be registered with sprint

I believe these are free from sprint .. so if it’s a sale on eBay then I would consider this a scam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Sprint doesn't think you deserve a magic box will one from ebay work or does it have to be registered

29 minutes ago, dedeary said:

These are registered to an account.  If the account goes away it it likely that the Magic Box or Airave service will also disappear.  They are likely just trying to recover the fee Sprint has or will assess them which I think may be $150.

Unless you can outright own the box, I wouldn't trust Ebay. I don't even know if there is a way to purchase the MB. It has to be provisioned on the account. 

There has to be spectrum for the mb to work. Why doesn't sprint think you deserve one? Could it just be they don't have the spectrum in your area?

We have the spectrum but I only have one phone. great service outside not so good inside an old farm house with aluminum siding and plaster walls 

12 hours ago, alphaalphagamma said:

Running 15.16.00.533 (60.9.83.4)

?

2 hours ago, dedeary said:

?

I had asked what the latest version of firmware is on the box. 

21 hours ago, dedeary said:

We have the spectrum but I only have one phone. great service outside not so good inside an old farm house with aluminum siding and plaster walls 

I would pop a nice email to magicbox[at]sprint[dot]com to inquire about your area. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 4:36 PM, dedeary said:

Just ask Sprint for one for free. Why pay for a free device?

On 12/29/2018 at 5:39 PM, dedeary said:

If Sprint thinks you deserve one 

If you are a Sprint post-paid customer in a band 41 area with separate high/low spectrum they'll give you one. There is minimal to no determination of deserving or not.

35 minutes ago, SeanK_ said:

Just ask Sprint for one for free. Why pay for a free device?

The OP is posting from a verizon wireless IP. The only reason I can think of paying for one is if you are a pre-paid or MVNO customer where Sprint won't give you one. That said, dkyeager's comments apply. If the account holder goes away (and presumably they are if they're selling the device) Sprint is likely to deactivate the MB.

• Like 6

After having it connected solidly for 3 days... the performance isn't quite up to what the gen2 gave me. I still have both... but trying to use the gen3 as much as I can...

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Another update: I rarely use my desktop but decided to give some further details on what my Gen3 is doing.

So far, I'm still seeing a -120/-119 with a +1.3 - +1.9 SINR. It doesn't d/c ...so it's holding steady (Even though we've had about 2 weeks of dreary, rainy days with lots of cloud and fog)...

The Gen2 gave around the same (I think about a -118, maybe -117..with a +2.3SINR) and depending on the time of day (and the atmosphere), I could usually get a 15mbps download, 5mbps upload on the gen2. 

So far, with the Gen3, running reliably at -119, I am only seeing about 5mbps download, and 0.01mbps upload. 

I use Ookla Speedtest..which has never reported upload speeds correctly that I've seen...usually it jumps at the end of the test ... but both boxes were tested with Ookla. 

I've tried finding other areas near me...and I run into the issue of yes, it may work with a -112 in one of my out-buildings, but can the B41 penetrate back inside to reach my phones in the house...no. So I can find other areas that might have better signal, but they are going to be in a spot where it does me no good to run the MB ...or I'd have to sit outside to be able to use it. 

Hoping they tweak the power settings to match at least the gen2... From day 1 or 2 on the Gen2, I had mostly decent speeds.

Here's a question for someone with closer ties to MB team...I remember when the Airave tech support team could submit a ticket for a power increase...and they would boost it ..but it had to be requested. They wouldn't just default it to that higher power setting. I wonder if there is such a scenario with the MB? I don't have anyone near me that connects to mine besides me, the wife, and my kids. None of my neighbors have Sprint.. Mostly, the number of users on my MB runs around 4-5 connections.

Edited by jonathanm1978
added question
  • Like 3

Interesting