Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

So I received my MB 3. Great signal everywhere in my 2185sq ft condo. Did a speedtest, before installing it by the front door window. Got 22-25MBps. Turned it on, let it sign to Sprint, RSRP around 50, did another speedtest, got around 5Mbps and increased ping and jitter. I repeated the speedtest several times and it got worse. Well, I will repeat the speedtest later on tonight to see if it improved. But if it does not within couple of days, off goes back to Sprint.

You need to give it a few days to optimize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, though said:

You get 22-25 and need a MB?

Right at the window yes. The signal dies quickly and so does the speed...By the time I am at the other end of the condo I am lucky to get 1-2. There are also couple of dead spots, one right by my side of my bed.

Edited by bigsnake49

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Right at the window yes. The signal dies quickly and so does the speed...By the time I am at the other end of the condo I am lucky to get 1-2. There are also couple of dead spots, one right by my side of my bed.

Ah gotcha!

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

As @nexgencpu mentioned, give the box at least a few days, perhaps up to a week, to optimize on the Network.

8 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Well, I will repeat the speedtest later on tonight to see if it improved. But if it does not within couple of days, off goes back to Sprint.

Don't forget to check the SNR or use the RSRQ.  You might also be better away from the window.  Also check to see if it using B41 -- it might be on B25 backhaul.  You could also be above the best signal, depending on your floor in the condo.

5 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Don't forget to check the SNR or use the RSRQ.  You might also be better away from the window.  Also check to see if it using B41 -- it might be on B25 backhaul.  You could also be above the best signal, depending on your floor in the condo.

The SNR of the incoming signal or the outgoing signal from the box? The outgoing SNR is phenomenal, in the high 20s to mid 30s.

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

The SNR of the incoming signal or the outgoing signal from the box? The outgoing SNR is phenomenal, in the high 20s to mid 30s.

The best incoming SNR or RSRQ is where you want to place the MagicBox. Right now you may have a lot of retries.

Our Gen 3 MB is still only getting about 1/2 speed downloads.  Previously, our Gen2 MB was getting 60mbps downloads, and our Gen3 hasnt gone above 30mbps.  

Just got off the phone with MB support and the guy I talked to was a waste.  He was hanging on the fact that I have used over 40gb this period.  I was trying to explain to him that wouldn't matter because it is only on a congested tower and there was no way in hades that our tower was congested.  I gave up and just said forget about it, I'll just live with it for now, but he said he would call back in a few days (new billing cycle) to see if it has improved.

Buuuuuuuut the real positive here is that something has happened in the past 2 hours while playing phone tag with this guy... while connected to our Gen 3 MB, I am now getting VoLTE.  :o . We are NOT a soft-launch market.  Wife is at work and connected to the serving macro tower, and she does not have VoLTE.    Weirrrrrrrrd. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, shaferz said:

Buuuuuuuut the real positive here is that something has happened in the past 2 hours while playing phone tag with this guy... while connected to our Gen 3 MB, I am now getting VoLTE.  :o . We are NOT a soft-launch market.  Wife is at work and connected to the serving macro tower, and she does not have VoLTE.    Weirrrrrrrrd. 

There have been scattered reports of this on reddit today too. Not sure what’s going on. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:46 PM, shaferz said:

Our Gen 3 MB is still only getting about 1/2 speed downloads.  Previously, our Gen2 MB was getting 60mbps downloads, and our Gen3 hasnt gone above 30mbps.  

Just got off the phone with MB support and the guy I talked to was a waste.  He was hanging on the fact that I have used over 40gb this period.  I was trying to explain to him that wouldn't matter because it is only on a congested tower and there was no way in hades that our tower was congested.  I gave up and just said forget about it, I'll just live with it for now, but he said he would call back in a few days (new billing cycle) to see if it has improved.

The deprioritization level is also 50GB now, so that shouldn't matter at all. 

• Like 3

What firmware version are MB3 users seeing? We had issues with our MB3 and had to get the IBS Dept involved to push a fix to the tower and new firmware to the unit...0.5mbps before and now 100+...
I have 15.16.00.533

Do you have 2 ca? I only can get only one b41 carrier when the tower it relays from does 2 ca

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sunmybun said:

I have 15.16.00.533

Do you have 2 ca? I only can get only one b41 carrier when the tower it relays from does 2 ca

I have the same firmware version.

There's actually 2 firmwares in the unit...the top number starting with 15.x is the UE relay firmware that downloads from the network when the box connects to the tower...the bottom number starting with 60.x is the firmware on the box itself for the UI, networking wifi and Linux OS....let's report both when sharing :)

• Like 3

There's actually 2 firmwares in the unit...the top number starting with 15.x is the UE relay firmware that downloads from the network when the box connects to the tower...the bottom number starting with 60.x is the firmware on the box itself for the UI, networking wifi and Linux OS....let's report both when sharing [emoji4]
Ahh i see. Well my phone can do 2ca but the box only does one carrier

The bottom firmware is 60.9.83.0

44 minutes ago, alphaalphagamma said:

What's the top speed people are seeing using a magic box gold gen 3? 

My handset can pull 200+ from the tower, but the magic box (in the same exact spot) can only relay up to about 80 to 90...

While it (MB3) can pick up the full 3xCA 4x4MIMO and 256QAM from the macro site, Its limited to a single B41 carrier for the UE side. So around 110mbs.

It's more about broadcasting a new clean B41 signal much deeper indoors than the signal from the tower can provide, at the same time improving battery life since its no longer hunting for different sectors and/or macro sites. 

But if your already seeing great speeds from the macro site everywhere indoors, your just adding latency and lowering your speeds. If you have other locations where you don't have great signal, you might want to consider moving it there.

• Like 5