Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

OK. This is confusing. Sprint sent me 2 order confirmation emails. ANd shipping confirmations.

RMA001 PCS HANDSET RETURN KIT 

RTNMAGIC2 MAGIC BOX RETURN BOX VER 2 

The email I got says for the order number for the Magic Box return kits says content is the PCS Handset Return Kit.
But when i use the Check Order Status page, it lists the MB return.

Just have to see what i get. I have read that many folks have just gotten a small bubble envelope to ship a phone back in.

I got emails form UPS for both packages. One is 1.8lbs, the other 1lb.

Edited by speedingcheetah

So one is a return label and small bubble wrap package, the other is a box that allows you to put the Magic Box in it. Don't ask me why they didn't just included label with the box when you need it and email the label if have a printer.

44 minutes ago, SeanK_ said:

So one is a return label and small bubble wrap package, the other is a box that allows you to put the Magic Box in it. Don't ask me why they didn't just included label with the box when you need it and email the label if have a printer.

I specifically saved the original box and the outer brown shipping box...as the instructions said to.

Why they cant just click the button in the UPS portal to email their customer the return label...is beyond me.

I also asked about do I have to return the small USB battery pack and cable thingy that came with it.

That had a label on it that indicated it was a free item, and to go use it to charge ur devices.....well, i did, and it got lost on a recent trip.

The agent on the chat did not know to what i was referring to.

5 minutes ago, speedingcheetah said:

I specifically saved the original box and the outer brown shipping box...as the instructions said to.

Why they cant just click the button in the UPS portal to email their customer the return label...is beyond me.

I also asked about do I have to return the small USB battery pack and cable thingy that came with it.

That had a label on it that indicated it was a free item, and to go use it to charge ur devices.....well, i did, and it got lost on a recent trip.

The agent on the chat did not know to what i was referring to.

I did too, I just saved it and sent it off and about a week later I got a random box and I just threw it away.

I kept mine and wasn't charged for it.

Hey guys, jumping back in on this thread, maybe you have help for my dad. He got a MB (gen 2, I think?) a couple months back, but I haven't had a chance to make it down there to help him install it. We tried to do it over the phone (me helping him) but we were unable to find a location in the house that got past the "acquiring signal" screen. Described as a Sprint screen with status bars that never moved from "the second one" my dad said. I requested a picture of what it was doing, but alas one was not sent. :) 

Anyways, we tried 4 or 5 different locations in the house that were "nearest" the towers broadcasting B41. After attempts, he was factory resetting the box from the software menu so we could get a fresh try. 

Can someone direct me to some tips in this thread or copy/paste them here for getting a connection??  I scrolled around for a bit and never landed on anything solid.

He SHOULD have B41 in the upper floors of his home, at least I got it with my then S8+ when we stayed there. Not sure why this sucker isn't connecting. 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

1 hour ago, mmark27 said:

Hey guys, jumping back in on this thread, maybe you have help for my dad. He got a MB (gen 2, I think?) a couple months back, but I haven't had a chance to make it down there to help him install it. We tried to do it over the phone (me helping him) but we were unable to find a location in the house that got past the "acquiring signal" screen. Described as a Sprint screen with status bars that never moved from "the second one" my dad said. I requested a picture of what it was doing, but alas one was not sent. :)

Anyways, we tried 4 or 5 different locations in the house that were "nearest" the towers broadcasting B41. After attempts, he was factory resetting the box from the software menu so we could get a fresh try. 

Can someone direct me to some tips in this thread or copy/paste them here for getting a connection??  I scrolled around for a bit and never landed on anything solid.

He SHOULD have B41 in the upper floors of his home, at least I got it with my then S8+ when we stayed there. Not sure why this sucker isn't connecting. 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

what is his city/state? are you sure he's in a compatible location?

1 hour ago, though said:

what is his city/state? are you sure he's in a compatible location?

He's in the northern reaches of Florissant, MO (north of St. Louis). His location was approved before the box was sent, or at least that's the conversation I had with the tech that called me. Just on the edge of a B41 signal in side the house (as I said) but pick up 3+ bars B41 outside. Mainly parked on B25 there usually. 

Just now, mmark27 said:

He's in the northern reaches of Florissant, MO (north of St. Louis). His location was approved before the box was sent, or at least that's the conversation I had with the tech that called me. Just on the edge of a B41 signal in side the house (as I said) but pick up 3+ bars B41 outside. Mainly parked on B25 there usually. 

does his address clear this?  https://www.sprint.com/landings/magic-box-eligibility/index.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, though said:

odd. can you take it somewhere else to see if it works elsewhere, then try again if it does?

I'll have him do that. I'll also have him just take it outside....duh. didn't think about that. See if he can get a lock there, then just bring it in. Would that work?? or should I re-set it up again inside.

10 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

I'll have him do that. I'll also have him just take it outside....duh. didn't think about that. See if he can get a lock there, then just bring it in. Would that work?? or should I re-set it up again inside.

They can definitely be finicky so anything is possible for sure!

3 hours ago, mmark27 said:

We tried to do it over the phone (me helping him) but we were unable to find a location in the house that got past the "acquiring signal" screen. Described as a Sprint screen with status bars that never moved from "the second one" my dad said. I requested a picture of what it was doing, but alas one was not sent. :)

Anyways, we tried 4 or 5 different locations in the house that were "nearest" the towers broadcasting B41

How long were you letting this process play out?

5 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

How long were you letting this process play out?

15 mins on the shortest, about 2 hours on the longest (he set it up and went to do yard work, came back and still stuck). 

1 hour ago, mmark27 said:

Yes. Big old green check mark. 

Mine did the same thing, but it did work then it started to not work any longer so I had to return it and get the Airave 3 LTE instead.

2 hours ago, mmark27 said:

15 mins on the shortest, about 2 hours on the longest (he set it up and went to do yard work, came back and still stuck). 

I would try one more time leaving it say overnight in what you think is the optimal position.

41 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

I would try one more time leaving it say overnight in what you think is the optimal position.

This. However, I would also try an entirely different location (maybe that has a known strong signal). After it fully boots up and works, take it back to the non-working location and try again. It may need to be on for several hours for it to fully boot up and do it's thing...

Hi, was wondering if anyone can explain this to me.  My MB is broadcasting B41 (and my understanding is that it only broadcasts B41, although it can receive B41 or B25 from the donor site), yet my phone is reporting that it is on B25.  How could that be? 

7C43734C-48A0-45A7-95AF-42C6B38E2AB2.jpeg

0C363C9A-5A7C-4A24-80C7-8E6BB0C20533.jpeg

Edited by Member21

1 minute ago, Member21 said:

Hi, was wondering if anyone can explain this to me.  My MB is broadcasting B41 (and my understanding is that it only broadcasts B41, although it can receive B41 or B25 from the donor site), yet my phone is reporting that it is on B25.  How could that be? 

Probably a mistake by SCP. I’d recommend you check your engineering screens because that data will be much more accurate. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Member21 said:

Check your engineering to confirm band, just dial ##DEBUG# in the dialer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flompholph said:

I believe SC lite does not know MB GCI yet. Signal check uses the gci to guess which band it is connected to.

Lite also doesn't pull the EARFCN, which would identify it as B41 as well.