Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

300% better*...

Speed increase will be due to the new band 41 signal reaching into areas where the macro 25/26/41 signal degrades into weak and slower signals.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Does it still use CA?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Does the magic box speeds reach the speeds of the tower it is relaying from? It's a full build 8t8r Nokia tower.

The relay connects with up to 3xCA on B41 DL to the macro eNB or 2xCa on B25.

The data is then fed to the Airunity small cell which broadcasts a single band 41 carrier.

Reread my magic box article. Everything applies to the new one as to the old one minus HPUE, 3xB41 CA and high TX power.

• Like 3

The data is then fed to the Airunity small cell which broadcasts a single band 41 carrier.

Reread my magic box article. Everything applies to the new one as to the old one minus HPUE, 3xB41 CA and high TX power.

Okay. Great. Im walking right now to see how far it goes.

• Like 1

Would it be best on the 2nd floor coverage wise?

Antennas are 45 degree directional aimed at front and back with more limited vertical coverage so aim it as best you can where you want the best coverage but also note that the relay is also directional and you may lose performance by doing so. 

• Like 2

Depends on your layout. My house long (townhouse) and is 4 stories, and I have my 540 on the 3rd floor in the back (macro is maybe 0.4 miles away, line of sight minus a brick wall, but between sectors). MB relay signal is -94. It reaches all but the far corner of the basement. I expect the 545 to reach there. I get about 15 mbps per carrier down (2xCA = 30 Mbps, it just takes a second for the relay to engage it). Upload is 15-17 Mbps ish.

If it's in a room, I suggest trying to aim it so it points out the door towards the main part of the house. Mine is aimed to go down the hallway, which I'm sure helps.

Also curious, what software version is it running? It may take 24+ hours to update to the newest version.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Depends on your layout. My house long (townhouse) and is 4 stories, and I have my 540 on the 3rd floor in the back (macro is maybe 0.4 miles away, line of sight minus a brick wall, but between sectors). MB relay signal is -94. It reaches all but the far corner of the basement. I expect the 545 to reach there. I get about 15 mbps per carrier down (2xCA = 30 Mbps, it just takes a second for the relay to engage it). Upload is 15-17 Mbps ish.

If it's in a room, I suggest trying to aim it so it points out the door towards the main part of the house. Mine is aimed to go down the hallway, which I'm sure helps.

Also curious, what software version is it running? It may take 24+ hours to update to the newest version.

SW 15.15.10.113.60.6.35.0 Also my relay is around -96dbm and my house is also between sectors.

Why was the download nearly half as fast after M.Box was installed? I would have hoped it was better.

It consistently has slower download speeds but I'm getting 25-40 mbps in places where b41 could not reach before. Also upload increased by 300%.

• Like 5

looks like you had pretty great service already before the MB..,minus maybe switching to band 26 or 25 in parts of the house.

Yeah I do. Kind of surprised me that my house even qualified. Sprint is very good at my house just congested if not on b41. Verizon and At&t are not good there. T-Mobile is by far the best since antenna and downtilt is pointed directly at my house.

I think any address that shows B41 coverage on their map qualifies. I put in my address in Berkeley (a block from a B41 site with excellent coverage throughout the house) and it qualifies. I think they're doing this because they can't predict indoor coverage, so they're assuming if you're asking for a MB, you prob need one.

Does the MB need to be line of sight to the tower? I'm getting the MB when it arrives and going to the cabin. Our phones switch from LTE to 3G when at the cabin.

No, it just needs to be able to pick up a B25 or B41 signal.

Yep, Shentel area.  Kinda make you wonder if that is the reason.

I didn't get in on the initial rush, but I live in E-town literally in a borderline divider scenario between the last Shentel tower along 283 between Harrisburg and Lancaster (little over halfway towards me between the Toll House and 743 exits), and the E-town tower off the downtown area.   I've yet to have anyone contact me either, but again in fairness, I wasn't one of the first out the gate to sign up for the possibility either.  I did wonder based on proximity to the Shentel tower though if I'd be given any consideration or not.

I think any address that shows B41 coverage on their map qualifies. I put in my address in Berkeley (a block from a B41 site with excellent coverage throughout the house) and it qualifies. I think they're doing this because they can't predict indoor coverage, so they're assuming if you're asking for a MB, you prob need one.

My city has no band 41 coverage on the map and I have it.

Also just got my tracking number. And it's being sent to the wrong address... I applied with my address rather than my parents address (the address on the account). When they called they had my parents address, and I had the representative change it. Of course, they're shipping it to my parents anyway... So obnoxious.