Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

Is there a big difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen magic box. In my home my magic box says Band 41 (Low). This is near the window where signal is best. I get like -107 to -116 dB. Anyone know if gen 3 would make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, map4239 said:

Is there a big difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen magic box. In my home my magic box says Band 41 (Low). This is near the window where signal is best. I get like -107 to -116 dB. Anyone know if gen 3 would make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "Low" doesn't refer to the signal quality, there is Band 41 High and Band 41 Low - just a frequency thing. 

That's a decently usable signal, I wouldn't expect anything really noticeable out of a Gen 3. 

• Like 1

Your water resistant Magic Box is on the way.  This unit is on a demo account and you will not see it on your personal Sprint account..

Anxious to see this thing in action. I will try to remember to get photos Thursday when I receive it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I got to hand it to Mr Schnelbacher...him and his team are quick. From the time I sent the first email and explained the scenario I have...it's barely been 2 weeks. I needed an outdoor solution... A magic box that could be outside but not be harmed by the elements. 

I'm about to stick a Rohn 20 tower up for a local WISP that I work with...while it's being placed in order to deploy air fiber, I'm going to use a section of it to stick this magic box and see how well it can work without being worried about rain/etc.  He did tell me in our back-n-forth that it's water resistant...NOT waterproof. So I will have to provide ~~some~~ level of protection... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigsnake49 said:

So I guess we have to wait a little bit longer...

If you have a Gen 3, it should work now. I have my Magic Box connected to my home WiFi right now. I don't know why it's saying Limited Connectivity though.

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

If you have a Gen 3, it should work now. I have my Magic Box connected to my home WiFi right now. I don't know why it's saying Limited Connectivity though.

I did try it and my LTE signal on my phone went back to 110-114dbm instead of -85 at my favorite chair which means the Magic Box is not working on WiFi backhaul. Mine also shows limited connectivity. Have you tried doing a speedest?

Edited by bigsnake49

Just now, bigsnake49 said:

I did try it and my LTE signal on my phone went back to 110-114dbm instead of -85 at my favorite chair which means the Magic Box is not working on WiFi backhaul. Mine also shows limited connectivity. Have you tried doing a speediest?

Yeah, I pay for 250/12 internet and I got 77/8 through the Magic Box with a 19ms ping.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Yeah, I pay for 250/12 internet and I got 77/8 through the Magic Box with a 19ms ping.

What is your signal out of the MB? How about your release numbers? I wonder if mine did not receive the update. Mine shows me connected to Band 26 after I select WiFi backhaul. I am on the 100/10 tier but I usually get 120/12.

Edited by bigsnake49

20 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

What is your signal out of the MB? How about your release numbers? I wonder if mine did not receive the update. Mine shows me connected to Band 26 after I select WiFi backhaul. I am on the 100/10 tier but I usually get 120/12.

It could take a day or 2 to connect back to the MB. try rebooting your phone, then give it a day or 3.

5 minutes ago, though said:

it does at times when not on wifi backhaul, so doubt it would be any different...

There's nothing to optimize. You tell it which WiFi AP it should use, give it the password and off it goes. On LTE backhaul it has to optimize which Band 41 channel to use from which tower.

Edited by bigsnake49

Same as [mention=696]bigsnake49[/mention]
That's the original software that it launched with. It's likely saying limited connectivity because it's unable to use it, and is probably falling back to LTE.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk