Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

So an update to my magic box experiment I order one using my sister address and finally picked it up(gen 2). My address does not have sprint coverage at all if you look at the sprint map (06255). I Put it on my back enclosed porch and plugged it in and am now enjoying LTE. I think in a few weeks I'll order the gen 3. The box is showing RSRP: 116 dBm

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kevster1321 said:

So an update to my magic box experiment I order one using my sister address and finally picked it up(gen 2). My address does not have sprint coverage at all if you look at the sprint map (06255). I Put it on my back enclosed porch and plugged it in and am now enjoying LTE.

It used to drive some of us crazy in Ohio that Sprint did not know which sites had LTE or Band 41 in terms of the coverage maps.  We laboriously gave them site IDs and LAT LONGs with GCIs thrown in for good measure in spreadsheet and map formats.  For LTE they did add them in a few months.  For Band 41 they ended up removing the category that covered it from the coverage maps.

I think the key item is if you have small cells in your area, then Magic Boxes will likely work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dkyeager said:

It used to drive some of us crazy in Ohio that Sprint did not know which sites had LTE or Band 41 in terms of the coverage maps.  We laboriously gave them site IDs and LAT LONGs with GCIs thrown in for good measure in spreadsheet and map formats.  For LTE they did add them in a few months.  For Band 41 they ended up removing the category that covered it from the coverage maps.

I think the key item is if you have small cells in your area, then Magic Boxes will likely work.

I'm picking up band 41 from MA 5 miles away. The only thing I can get on my phone from out in my yard is band 26 so I'm happy 

Our Gen2 MB... stats:

RSRP: -105 dBm

CINR: 17.0dB

Our Gen3 MB... stats:

RSRP:  -98 dBm

CINR: 19.9dB

:D

Box is in the exact same position.  Pretty impressive difference.  We are still non a non-3xCA macro site, but we are ready to rock for whenever we finally get upgraded. 

• Like 5

With that being said though, I'm going to let it optimize for a while before drawing any final conclusions.  Our Gen 2 MB generated 60+mbps downloads, and thus far with the Gen 3, it seems to be 'stuck' at nothing higher than 30mpbs downloads.  

• Like 1

So I was sent a gen 2 on "accident" and they sent me a return kit for it. I opened the gen 2 box to snag a picture of the id codes and such from the MB for a little safety when I return it. In the box was a free 4000mah backup battery. Are these included with the gen 3s as well?

28 minutes ago, xdfgf said:

So I was sent a gen 2 on "accident" and they sent me a return kit for it. I opened the gen 2 box to snag a picture of the id codes and such from the MB for a little safety when I return it. In the box was a free 4000mah backup battery. Are these included with the gen 3s as well?

No. 

With the recent iOS 12.1.1 my Sprint iPhone XS-Max now supports LTE Data+Voice but it uses the Macro Cell and not my MagicBox. I suspect it's because my MagicBox needs the firmware update but how do I get it updated?

On the iPhone I turned off WiFi Calling and turned on LTE Data+Voice.
For testing I also turned off WiFi totally on the iPhone.
Settings General->About->IMS Status = Voice & SMS

I have a decent WiFi signal but still feel WiFi calls are choppy and people on the other end say so also so I'd hope VoLTE would improve things.

I'm in Chicago with I believe supports Sprint VoLTE.

Sw Ver: 15.15.50.440a  Does this need to be updated? How?

Any insight appreciated.

J

24 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Lolol ethernet connectivity will probably come with the next hardware version.

MB3 already has the hardware and software that basically make it most of the way there. Hopefully the software makes it eventually.

• Like 1

I am getting an MB3. AllI wanted is for my phone to be able to roam on T-Mobile so I called customer support. My phone still does not roam on T-mobile but I got an MB3 out of it. I will let you know if it improves my LTE experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I am getting an MB3. AllI wanted is for my phone to be able to roam on T-Mobile so I called customer support. My phone still does not roam on T-mobile but I got an MB3 out of it. I will let you know if it improves my LTE experience.

You're prob not in an area where they flipped the switch yet??

On 12/9/2018 at 10:07 PM, nexgencpu said:

MB3 already has the hardware and software that basically make it most of the way there. Hopefully the software makes it eventually.

I assume that MagicBox Ethernet backhaul has been user tested and failed. Disappointing.  Has anyone tested WiFi backhaul?

So I received my MB 3. Great signal everywhere in my 2185sq ft condo. Did a speedtest, before installing it by the front door window. Got 22-25MBps. Turned it on, let it sign to Sprint, RSRP around 50, did another speedtest, got around 5Mbps and increased ping and jitter. I repeated the speedtest several times and it got worse. Well, I will repeat the speedtest later on tonight to see if it improved. But if it does not within couple of days, off goes back to Sprint.

Edited by bigsnake49

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

So I received my MB 3. Great signal everywhere in my 2185sq ft condo. Did a speedtest, before installing it by the front door window. Got 22-25MBps. Turned it on, let it sign to Sprint, RSRP around 50, did another speedtest, got around 5Mbps and increased ping and jitter. I repeated the speedtest several times and it got worse. Well, I will repeat the speedtest later on tonight to see if it improved. But if it does not within couple of days, off goes back to Sprint.

You get 22-25 and need a MB?