Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

On 11/10/2018 at 7:39 PM, ScipioUSA said:

Great, thank you!  Im sure that VoLTE will roll out to my area within the next decade or so...  :(  Although where I am in NY supposedly Verizon is running fios down the road, so maybe that will help speed along some of the local towers getting an upgrade or two...

What's your area? I'm around Binghamton. Didn't know FiOS was coming....

23 minutes ago, burnout8488 said:

What's your area? I'm around Binghamton. Didn't know FiOS was coming....

Im in Washington County, over on the VT border. 

Not sure that you can get FIOS everywhere, depends on who won the Round III of the Broadband for All Funding in NYS.  

https://map.nysbroadband.ny.gov/html5viewer/?viewer=broadband

If you go to that link it should tell you what is available at your address, and then possibly a "BPO Award" which is the funding to a private party to provide a broadband option.  Verizon just happened to win where I live, and there isnt anything else to choose from near me.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lilotimz said:

G3 Magic boxes can be ordered if you call into magic box tech support at 844-463-3194.

I called a few days ago and the person said they would not send one out if there was nothing wrong with the old one as they are in short supply.

11 minutes ago, comintel said:

I called a few days ago and the person said they would not send one out if there was nothing wrong with the old one as they are in short supply.

I got that same response last week but they're offering it now* when I called in this morning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swintec said:

the 3rd gen MB is the one that will work in Maine, just not with LTE backhaul correct?

Potentially... Though not guaranteed since it supports 10 / 20 MHz IBW while the Airave 4 does 5/10/20 MHz. The smallest EBS/BRS block is 6 MHz wide. Doesn't hurt to try though! 

3 hours ago, comintel said:

Well I called and she said they do not have any at the moment.   That's fine I can wait....

Yeah it depends on the agent I guess. Some people have got agents that were able to send it out in a few minutes while others got agents that would not.  Mixed results really. 

2 hours ago, ScipioUSA said:

I saw in the blog that there is an add-on that allows for CDMA/voice boosting also.  That would be fantastic for me.  I got approved for one a year ago.... I wonder if they would still send me one....

Needs the GEN3 MB and I'm unsure on the status of the CDMA module at this time. May take awhile since only in the past week have they began sending G3 MBs out. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, lilotimz said:

Potentially... Though not guaranteed since it supports 10 / 20 MHz IBW while the Airave 4 does 5/10/20 MHz. The smallest EBS/BRS block is 6 MHz wide. Doesn't hurt to try though! 

Would a Gen3 work in Lincoln, NE where-as a Gen2 will not??

20 minutes ago, though said:

Would a Gen3 work in Lincoln, NE where-as a Gen2 will not??

If they do it in band UE Relay like in East Iowa regions then yes. If not then it may*** potentially work only with ETH or WiFi BH but who knows at this point since it's so new. 

• Like 2

If they do it in band UE Relay like in East Iowa regions then yes. If not then it may*** potentially work only with ETH or WiFi BH but who knows at this point since it's so new. 
I wonder if the MB earfcn will change based on backhaul. The Airave for example uses the first B41 carrier earfcn since it is not relay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

How do you suggest I go about getting my Gen2 exchanged for a Gen3?

• Like 1

How do you suggest I go about getting my Gen2 exchanged for a Gen3?
Some people have had luck just calling magic box support and asking for one. It's possible that they may just send the new one and not ask for the gen 2 to be returned, since the gen 3 is added as a new line on your account.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

@pay day loans online  .....<-----when I typed @ and pay....funny..

Anyway... @Paynefanbro ...I literally just called and the order is placed and it's on the way. It should be delivered this week. I told him that I already had a gen2, he said that's fine...and that it just couldn't be in the same household. So I gave him my business address...and it's a done deal. I asked about the CDMA device for phone calls and he said it isn't out/ready just yet, but I should receive an email when that device can be ordered.

I guess it depends on who you get when you call whether they are willing to place the order. Maybe try calling back and see.. (I seriously placed the call at 9:38am)

Edited by jonathanm1978
spell check...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jonathanm1978 said:

@pay day loans online  .....<-----when I typed @ and pay....funny..

Anyway... @Paynefanbro ...I literally just called and the order is pled and it's on the way. It should be delivered this week. I told him that I already had a gen2, he said that's fine...and that it just couldn't be in the same household. So I gave him my business address...and it's a done deal. I asked about the CDMA device for phone calls and he said it isn't out/ready just yet, but I should receive an email when that device can be ordered.

I guess it depends on who you get when you call whether they are willing to place the order. Maybe try calling back and see.. (I seriously placed the call at 9:38am)

I called at 9:08 so just before you. That's crazy. I'll try calling again later today. Thanks for the heads up.

I called twice today, first lady said Gen3 is not shipping yet, so can't order until they are in stock and shipping.

2nd time I called, guy said that Gen3 is not available yet, but he could take the order. He said that Gen2 would be shipped which are currently in stock.

So I held off on putting in the order, as I don't need a 2nd Gen2.

I called again and the guy told me that they don't have any in the warehouse but to keep calling because he doesn't know when they'll get their next shipment. He also told me that stock was pretty low in general due to firmware issues that they are trying to fix.

• Thanks 1