Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

58 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

I found a small spot in my attic that worked well when I had one; newish windows have been harsh on RF. Before I put it in the attic it worked best in the spare room on the floor in a corner. Go figure.

Unless you have an air conditioned attic, the high summer heat may kill the Magic Box.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, chamb said:

Unless you have an air conditioned attic, the high summer heat may kill the Magic Box.

I kept the attic entrance open in the summer and a little breeze from the soffit vents helped. I also kept 2 LTE radio homebrews and a nighthawk going. The tragic box did fine until I broke it down for parts. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:09 PM, nexgencpu said:

Found this interesting app that helps position MB's in best possible location..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sprint.networktools&rdid=com.sprint.networktools

It is an unreleased app so expect less than perfect performance out of it. But it is coming from Sprint directly which is encouraging. 

Nice find. Hopefully an iOS version is in the works...

I finally broke down and called Magic Box Support. They did something to the unit because it rebooted on its own. It's still on Band 41 but now it's useable. I can browse the web and stream video. Magic Box support told me they would call me tomorrow to see if it is still working.

Edited by drhz
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, drhz said:

I finally broke down and called Magic Box Support. They did something to the unit because it rebooted on its own. It's still on Band 41 but now it's useable. I can browse the web and stream video. Magic Box support told me they would call me tomorrow to see if it is still working.

what's  your pings/speedtest results now?

3 minutes ago, though said:

wow, same signal strength and location? seems like a drastic improvement...

Yeah, same spot.  I don't understand what Magic Box Support did. Too technical for me. I was on the phone with them for about 30 minutes troubleshooting. 

Well, I spoke too soon. I started having issues again Tuesday night. Wife was upset that she couldn't watch YouTube or Hulu. I called Magic Box Support again and the rep had a theory of why sometimes I get fast speeds and sometimes I get poor speeds on the MB. He said it was because there were more than one tower serving my home and at least one of those towers is either over crowed or just a touch too far away. He pushed a factory reset on the unit and right after everything was good. I had fast speeds again. Now, it's back to slow speeds. I think I'm going to throw in the towel and unplug the box. Hopefully Band 26 isn't as congested as it was in the past. But I can't take this one day it works one day it doesn't. I still think those smarts should be on the network or the magic box. It should be able to determine which tower is the fastest on its own. 

• Like 1

Well, I spoke too soon. I started having issues again Tuesday night. Wife was upset that she couldn't watch YouTube or Hulu. I called Magic Box Support again and the rep had a theory of why sometimes I get fast speeds and sometimes I get poor speeds on the MB. He said it was because there were more than one tower serving my home and at least one of those towers is either over crowed or just a touch too far away. He pushed a factory reset on the unit and right after everything was good. I had fast speeds again. Now, it's back to slow speeds. I think I'm going to throw in the towel and unplug the box. Hopefully Band 26 isn't as congested as it was in the past. But I can't take this one day it works one day it doesn't. I still think those smarts should be on the network or the magic box. It should be able to determine which tower is the fastest on its own. 
Sounds to me like you may want to look into other carriers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Sounds to me like you may want to look into other carriers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'll think about it. My wife wants to switch before the merger with T-Mobile. We still have 2 devices under lease though. I will see how it goes without the Magic Box and make a decision based on that. I think in theory the MB is a good idea but it has to be smarter. Maybe Gen 3 will be better. 

15 hours ago, drhz said:

You're relying on mobile service for your home internet usage? No WiFi available?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

You're relying on mobile service for your home internet usage? No WiFi available?

I was trying to leverage our unlimited plans and save money on cable internet. We only have one ISP on my street. I always get in trouble when I try to save money. I was trying to save money due to student loan debt payments.

I spoke to Magic Box support today. The rep says Band 41 is new to Piedmont, SC. She put in a ticket to the network guys to double check that everything went ok with the tower climb. Told me to give them 72 hours.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 10:11 PM, drhz said:

I was trying to leverage our unlimited plans and save money on cable internet. We only have one ISP on my street. I always get in trouble when I try to save money. I was trying to save money due to student loan debt payments.

I spoke to Magic Box support today. The rep says Band 41 is new to Piedmont, SC. She put in a ticket to the network guys to double check that everything went ok with the tower climb. Told me to give them 72 hours.

I get that. I only have 1 ISP to chose from as well. And it's not exactly cheap. But it's generally far more reliable than trying to use a mobile network for my home internet usage. Plus mobile networks aren't really built to replace wired internet, though they have tried in the past. It usually doesn't work out very well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 10:18 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

I get that. I only have 1 ISP to chose from as well. And it's not exactly cheap. But it's generally far more reliable than trying to use a mobile network for my home internet usage. Plus mobile networks aren't really built to replace wired internet, though they have tried in the past. It usually doesn't work out very well. 

I called my local ISP today. Going tomorrow to pick up modem from Spectrum. I will have to think of another way to save money. We have to have reliable internet.

Sprint Customer Support has been communicating with me so although we haven't found a solution yet I am impressed that they talk with me and call me back. They even texted me.

The deal Spectrum offered me is only good for 12 months so hopefully by then the new T-Mobile will offer home internet. I hate only having 1 choice with home broadband. 

2 hours ago, banananuts87 said:

My gen 2 Magic Box has been stuck on “connecting to network” for a few days. 

Safe to say its dead?

My dad's Magic Box did that one time before. I first factory reset it and then moved it to a different Window. Dad lives in the country and the foliage had got thicker so the MB loss its donor site. I would imagine in the city if a new building or construction came up that would cause that issue as well.

4 hours ago, banananuts87 said:

My gen 2 Magic Box has been stuck on “connecting to network” for a few days. 

Safe to say its dead?

Factory reset is your best immediate option.  Network reconfiguration by Sprint can also cause this issue.  Usually resolves itself in a few days.  Reboot daily to see if fixed.  After a few days none of the above works, contact Magic Box support.  They are getting more skilled.

I’m in Chicagoland. 

Still on the old firmware. 

It use to hold on to a -118 B41 over a -110 B25. 

The next door neighbors trimmed their hedges which I believe was blocking the cell signal. 

I did a reset and B41 improved to -110 but after a day the MB switched to a -100 B25 and has need holding. I’m not touching it. ;)

Speeds are mediocre but consistent. Weird thing UL is 2x DL. 

J

Quick question, and apologies if its already been addressed, I havent been through the whole thread in detail.

So I know the MB is supposed to help with data only, and not voice.  (For that I would need an airrave I believe)  With the upcoming push to move to VoLTE, would a MagicBox then actually help out with voice service?  Once upon a time I was approved for one, but never finished my request.  Wondering if it would make sense once they have some of the latest generation ones available.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was already discussed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScipioUSA said:

Quick question, and apologies if its already been addressed, I havent been through the whole thread in detail.

So I know the MB is supposed to help with data only, and not voice.  (For that I would need an airrave I believe)  With the upcoming push to move to VoLTE, would a MagicBox then actually help out with voice service?  Once upon a time I was approved for one, but never finished my request.  Wondering if it would make sense once they have some of the latest generation ones available.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was already discussed.

Magic boxes have been updated with software that makes them VoLTE aware.  However VoLTE only works if the magic box is connected to a macro tower where VoLTE is enabled.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, radem said:

Magic boxes have been updated with software that makes them VoLTE aware.  However VoLTE only works if the magic box is connected to a macro tower where VoLTE is enabled.

Great, thank you!  Im sure that VoLTE will roll out to my area within the next decade or so...  :(  Although where I am in NY supposedly Verizon is running fios down the road, so maybe that will help speed along some of the local towers getting an upgrade or two...