Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

Still waiting for a call from Sprint, anyone else still waiting or got a call and got turned down?

I haven't received a call either. I'm in a b25/26 only neighborhood as b41 doesn't reach here.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be referred to an airrave 3 or nothing at all.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We received a call, got a message offering other options at no monthly cost to us, but were told no for the home office. We are band 25/26 area. Band 41 is on 3 sites in market now, so waiting to see if our location by the (Myrtle)beach is approved. I also applied for our locations in Surfside Beach, North Myrtle and Carolina Forest today. 

Just got the UPS tracking info (via UPS My Choice) for a 12 pound package from Sprint. Arriving Monday. Guess I'm getting a magic box.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sprint called my girlfriends phone on my account to tell her that the address I submitted was an invalid address and I should try again in 2 weeks. Kinda weird but oh well

I wonder if the b41 carrier the magic box broadcasts is outside Sprint's spectrum holdings for areas it's being denied.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Not likely, it self configures and picks a frequency in the license range (hence the need for GPS). This would only be an issue in areas where Sprint has less than 60-80Mhz of B41 spectrum (assuming they gave 2-3 carriers on the air).

There are some areas, such as SF, where Sprint has enough spectrum, but not more than about 70 MHz contiguous. So they only have only 2 B41 carriers on air. This still leaves another big chunk of spectrum free that isn't currently being used since it can't be aggregated with the first 2 carriers, but would work perfectly fine for a magic box.

That being said, there are a few areas where Sprint is legit spectrum constrained for B41, but they're pretty rare I think.

• Like 1

Not likely, it self configures and picks a frequency in the license range (hence the need for GPS). This would only be an issue in areas where Sprint has less than 60-80Mhz of B41 spectrum (assuming they gave 2-3 carriers on the air).

There are some areas, such as SF, where Sprint has enough spectrum, but not more than about 70 MHz contiguous. So they only have only 2 B41 carriers on air. This still leaves another big chunk of spectrum free that isn't currently being used since it can't be aggregated with the first 2 carriers, but would work perfectly fine for a magic box.

That being said, there are a few areas where Sprint is legit spectrum constrained for B41, but they're pretty rare I think.

That's what I mean though. If they are constrained on b41 spectrum in that area and already have (or plan to have) 2-3 carriers on air. It's my understanding the box broadcasts something different than what the macros do so if they didn't have another chunk of unused b41 it wouldn't work.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I saw one at the mall the other day. 34d9dd0cd1e06fedb91eaf41eec330e7.jpgb45884a10119055a578e9c43f73d4a15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hmm... That is odd.

Perhaps it is a false rumor I've heard many times in the past, but people have told me the physical stores for all carriers, not just Sprint, already have equipment to increase their signal somewhere located on the properties, such as roofs. I suppose if that were true, there wouldn't be a need for these Magic Boxes inside the stores, unless these are being used to replace that other equipment.

Hmm... That is odd.

Perhaps it is a false rumor I've heard many times in the past, but people have told me the physical stores for all carriers, not just Sprint, already have equipment to increase their signal somewhere located on the properties, such as roofs. I suppose if that were true, there wouldn't be a need for these Magic Boxes inside the stores, unless these are being used to replace that other equipment.

He told me it was almost for display purposes. The mall has a site on top of it. So it def wasn't necessary. I would think it would have an official display sometime soon if it was for demo purposes.

• Like 1

He told me it was almost for display purposes. The mall has a site on top of it. So it def wasn't necessary. I would think it would have an official display sometime soon if it was for demo purposes.

Well it is for display purpose since they didn't even set it up properly. It's still on the setup page!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is good to know.

I was hoping there were sites on premises after hearing about it for so long by so many people, especially those using it as a reason to claim why the signal in the store was so strong.

I think that Sprint store where the picture is from really ought to put the Magic Box in a display case and have it activated on inside of it. There is plenty of retail theft and so far these Magic Boxes seem quite popular. I know if I had Sprint I'd want one.

That is good to know.

I was hoping there were sites on premises after hearing about it for so long by so many people, especially those using it as a reason to claim why the signal in the store was so strong.

I think that Sprint store where the picture is from really ought to put the Magic Box in a display case and have it activated on inside of it. There is plenty of retail theft and so far these Magic Boxes seem quite popular. I know if I had Sprint I'd want one.

Why steal something they are giving out for free?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why steal something they are giving out for free?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Generally, that is a good point. However, it still costs Sprint to have them, and those who might steal them may try selling them to certain Sprint customers unaware they can get them for free from Sprint.

Also requested one at 11 am the day of the earnings call and have yet to get a call or voicemail about it.  not holding my breath though, unfortunately.  One day I will be able to walk around the house without swapping between 3G and LTE, with or without sprint if need be. :rolleyes:

Tim, do these magic boxes use a unique GCI and PCI or do they share the same GCI/PCI from the tower that it connects to?

Unique gci & pci.

GCI starts 0E and PCI is in the high 400s and 500s range

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk