Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

Noticed my Magic Box is using PLMN 311490.  Wonder if they might actually retain some of them into the T-Mobile only network.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, though said:

I noticed recently that my Pixel 4 XL's will rarely if ever connect to my STRONG magic box signal. it will hold on to a -120 B71 or B26 signal instead.

Mine is about 50/50.  It's definitely on MB Gold less frequently.

14 hours ago, crazy_vag said:

Mine is about 50/50.  It's definitely on MB Gold less frequently.

I unplugged the Airave. It simply will no longer connect to it.

They just updated the T-Mob equipment on the tower nearest me so hopefully it will be broadcasting B71 from it soon. If so, it should eliminate the need for the Airave entirely.

I haven't seen anyone saying much on this..but have the airave/airvana's officially been decommissioned?? 

Noticed a couple of weeks ago mine had 2-3 red lights ( I'm thinking 2...but I don't want to get up and go look)...

I've tried the pin-hole reset...unplugging...still get the same thing...it's appearing to be offline..

9 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

I haven't seen anyone saying much on this..but have the airave/airvana's officially been decommissioned?? 

Noticed a couple of weeks ago mine had 2-3 red lights ( I'm thinking 2...but I don't want to get up and go look)...

I've tried the pin-hole reset...unplugging...still get the same thing...it's appearing to be offline..

Same here.

12 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

Yes, over the summer, although it doesn't sound like customers were notified. I'm unhappy because Sprint MMS does not work over Wi-Fi and there is no replacement femtocell coming. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Magic Box Life time has been extended to March 1 according to this email I received from Sprint:

Your Sprint signal booster deactivates soon 
Don’t miss out on a better network experience!

Good news—now you can enjoy a new choice in value and coverage at NO EXTRA COST by swapping your phone’s SIM card today to enjoy the full T-Mobile network experience. A new, free SIM card means: 
•      You’ll get a bigger and better network with faster connections
•      You’ll have access to our advanced 4G LTE and the nation’s largest 5G network
•      Plus, Signal Booster deactivation has moved to March 1, 2022, giving you more time to act before your Magic Box Gen 3 no longer works

Mine is still working great with high download speeds using band 41 backhaul.

I realize that this is highly area dependent.

Edited by comintel

• 1 month later...

I now no longer need the Magic Box in my house (all phones now on T-Mobile SIM and get decent 5G) and as of a few days ago, the MB no longer connects to a donor site.  Does anyone know what they are going to do with MB's?  I know months ago, some users got an email saying that it will be taken off their account and there's no need to send it back - recycle it properly.  Would love it if this gets applied to all, say after 3/1/22, to avoid the hassle of having to send it back and track that it's been removed from the account.  

1 hour ago, Member21 said:

I now no longer need the Magic Box in my house (all phones now on T-Mobile SIM and get decent 5G) and as of a few days ago, the MB no longer connects to a donor site.  Does anyone know what they are going to do with MB's?  I know months ago, some users got an email saying that it will be taken off their account and there's no need to send it back - recycle it properly.  Would love it if this gets applied to all, say after 3/1/22, to avoid the hassle of having to send it back and track that it's been removed from the account.  

I' would be positive they do not want any of them back as per the below.   You could call if in doubt.

ewos3wd1gat51.jpg1.jpg

Just now, Member21 said:

That's what I figured.  Just don't know why I haven't received that email yet.  

Their active user records are probably spotty.

By the way, I think that came by USPS postal mail - not that that makes any difference.  It actually came a long time ago.  Since then, they have extended the Magic Box service in some areas, and not in others.  Mine is still working fine.  The current expected end date for those still with service is March 1, 2022.

Looks like my MB gold at my office was finally decommissioned sometime last week. It was working the previous week and I was out of town last week. I came in today and it was powered down. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but it just keeps looping through trying to establish a connection. Looks like it's time to add it to our ewaste pile.

4 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

Looks like my MB gold at my office was finally decommissioned sometime last week. It was working the previous week and I was out of town last week. I came in today and it was powered down. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but it just keeps looping through trying to establish a connection. Looks like it's time to add it to our ewaste pile.

Mine is still working fine here in Raleigh.   There were some outages related to the snow storm.   

I have seen it take a couple of days to recover from storms.   It is not among the highest priority services.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

None of the phones in my house will connect to it anymore, so for me it's irrelevant.

Mine's been unplugged and boxed up in the basement for several months. I asked customer service to remove the device from my account, but it's still sitting there. I had wondered if existence of the device was what was keeping me from migrating.

Just now, DurhamHusker said:

...I had wondered if existence of the device was what was keeping me from migrating...

Exactly ZERO automated migrations have been reported here or on reddit that I have seen, so the reason your account has not been migrated appears to  simply be that no accounts at all on any plan have been migrated automatically yet.

They used to do manual migrations with a plan change on request but they do not want to do those any more unless you insist.

If you want to force them to get it off your account, you can return it after requesting a return kit.  Personally I would first give them one more chance to remove it without wasting the shipping by calling "Magic Box Support" at 8444633194.  (Best Buys will take them for recycling).

Mine still works fine by the way. 

• Like 1