Trip

AT&T LTE and Network Discussion

23 minutes ago, LordDonkey said:

Side note: I noticed Band 5 LTE going away in some areas. A tower in Bittinger, MD previously had Band 5 LTE and now it no longer does. It still has band 2 and 17 and no aggregation, at least not with my phone. I think it used CA with my ZTE MF288 modem. The Band 2 has 15 MHz bandwidth and hits 80 Mbps no problem.

Band 5 LTE is being shut down to deploy NR in the CLR block. AT&T doesn't have free spectrum anywhere else. 

19 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Band 5 LTE is being shut down to deploy NR in the CLR block. AT&T doesn't have free spectrum anywhere else. 

In my area, 3G was the one that was actually taken down. Band 5 LTE is still there. I haven't been able to make calls at my place since unlocked phones don't have VoLTE. WCDMA Band 2 doesn't reach indoors for me for fallback on.

But then again, it could just be issues with my tower. I haven't left the house much since the quarantine. And when I do, I forget to check since T-Mobile is my daily driver.

Are there distinct antennas for band 14 deployment? There's a new rack going up with new kinds of antennas here in Grand Forks. The antennas are approximately the same size as T-Mobile's 600MHz antennas but it's not those.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:51 PM, Yuhfhrh said:

AT&T DSS just went live in North Texas: https://www.pcmag.com/news/atts-5g-network-gets-more-dynamic

Why is pcmag showing a map of possible 5G on 700 when AT&T? As at least we know, AT&T is deploying 5G on 850 where they too lack nationwide license coverage.

12 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Why is pcmag showing a map of possible 5G on 700 when AT&T? As at least we know, AT&T is deploying 5G on 850 where they too lack nationwide license coverage.

I think they're just showing possible long term spectrum that could be used for 5G.

AT&T seriously not update their coverage map yet to reflect this new 5G coverage? Im still waiting...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• A full deployment has never been T-Mobile's strategy, and that's why they've never been the best in Seattle. Despite having the best site density (by a lot), their network experience falls far short of AT&T, Sprint and even Verizon now, who I would have claimed was in last place a year ago.  The trend for the last 4 years has been that AT&T and Verizon never climb a tower without deploying every LTE technology available at that time. Even today, the same cannot be said for T-Mobile.  I would estimate that more than 35% of T-Mobile sites in Seattle are still midband only. And some are still B2-only whereas others are B4-only. That makes coverage/capacity inconsistent between sites and handovers at the edge of cell sloppy, to say the least. To really compete with the big two, they're going to have to rethink the way they're deploying their RAN and stop deploying the minimum needed to get by. Hopefully we see those changes going forward, because they definitely have the economies of scale necessary to do so now. 
    • Factory reset it and make sure it has a good GPS signal. After a factory reset it should get it within a couple weeks assuming that it has a good GPS lock. Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    • Don't forget that the US Government paid AT&T $6.5 billion to deploy B14 FirstNet spectrum.  AT&T took advantage of those subsidized tower climbs to upgrade its own infrastructure to 5G-ready, and add all of its spectrum holdings.  Smart move. T-Mobile doesn't have that subsidy, but I agree that any tower they're going to touch from here on out should be fully upgraded, and I think we'll see that with the Sprint "keep" sites for sure, plus anywhere they add NR equipment.
    • I know on mine anytime I make a call it switches to 1x for the duration of the call and then goes back to LTE when the call is over.  I am able to VOLTE when out in town though.  Maybe soon.