Post T-mobile & Sprint 09/2018 Spectrum Swap PCS Total

lilotimz

A quick thing I made up yesterday after looking at the FCC documents. This is currently what was agreed to and there are additional markets still pending.
IkTKwnc.png
So they're not touching the low-band Spectrum?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A quick thing I made up yesterday after looking at the FCC documents. This is currently what was agreed to and there are additional markets still pending.
IkTKwnc.png
So it's only a PCS swap not some TMO Bands on Sprint and some Sprint bands on T-Mobile?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So it's only a PCS swap not some TMO Bands on Sprint and some Sprint bands on T-Mobile?

It looks like a huge amount of PCS swapping. Why didn't they touch band 41 yet?

Guess we will see I and others thought maybe they were going to use some of each other's LTE bands on both networks. I don't know if they would swap in my area. T-Mobile already a contiguous 20x20 here 15x15 A plus 5x5 D. Sprint 10x10 A and 5x5 G

Guess we will see I and others thought maybe they were going to use some of each other's LTE bands on both networks

But given that T-Mobile has lots of low-band spectrum across the country this could get very tricky.

3 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

3 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

This is just another regular spectrum realignment as in the past. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Whatever you hear from people who have very clear biases and misconceptions does not mesh with what happened in reality. 

• Like 4

This is just another regular spectrum realignment as in the past. Nothing more, nothing less. 
Whatever you hear from people who have very clear biases and misconceptions does not mesh with what happened in reality. 
Okay understood. If I remember properly doesn't the realignment make the network function much more efficiently?

So this was only about PCS? I thought they wanted to get a head start since the Merger is likely going to pass. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-inks-533m-reciprocal-long-term-spectrum-lease-deal-sprint

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

So this was only about PCS? I thought they wanted to get a head start since the Merger is likely going to pass. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-inks-533m-reciprocal-long-term-spectrum-lease-deal-sprint

This transaction has nothing to do with the merger. Sprint still needs to act in a manner that assumes the merger isn't going to pass. Leasing out EBS/BRS isn't conducive to that. This was an even market for market spectrum swap, just as we've seen Sprint engage in several times over the past couple of years with various companies. Where they can work out like for like even deals, it makes sense for Sprint or any other of the big 3 wireless companies to swap PCS so both companies ultimately end up with more contiguous spectrum.

As to if the merger passes, T-Mobile has some options at their disposal to get people onto either network fairly quickly when the merger goes through if they choose to.

Well this has nothing to do with the reciprocal $533M spectrum leads then. Just your green variety spectrum swap. I know that I might be harping on this too much but is there some thought of simplifying their spectrum holding at some point after the merger?Let's see, they will have holdings in the 600MHz, 700MHz, 800MHz, AWS-1, AWS-3, PCS+G, and 2.5GHz bands + CBRS next year. Lot of antennas on the combined sites. I'd be horse trading like crazy.

Edited by bigsnake49

Well this has nothing to do with the reciprocal $533M spectrum leads then. Just your green variety spectrum swap. I know that I might be harping on this too much but is there some thought of simplifying their spectrum holding at some point after the merger?Let's see, they will have holdings in the 600MHz, 700MHz, 800MHz, AWS-1, AWS-3, PCS+G, and 2.5GHz bands + CBRS next year. Lot of antennas on the combined sites. I'd be horse trading like crazy/
I would trade some of that high-band Spectrum for something in the sub gigahertz band.

This transaction has nothing to do with the merger. Sprint still needs to act in a manner that assumes the merger isn't going to pass. Leasing out EBS/BRS isn't conducive to that. This was an even market for market spectrum swap, just as we've seen Sprint engage in several times over the past couple of years with various companies. Where they can work out like for like even deals, it makes sense for Sprint or any other of the big 3 wireless companies to swap PCS so both companies ultimately end up with more contiguous spectrum.

As to if the merger passes, T-Mobile has some options at their disposal to get people onto either network fairly quickly when the merger goes through if they choose to.
I know it doesn't have anything to do with the Merger I and others thought maybe they were going to use each other's spectrum on both networks. I don't see how they can swap spectrum in my area. Sprint is 10x10 A block and 5x5 G block while TMO already has a contiguous 20x20

1 minute ago, danlodish345 said:

I would trade some of that high-band Spectrum for something in the sub gigahertz band.

No, T-mobile wants the 2.5GHz spectrum for 5G. But they could trade the 700+800MHz to Dish for Dish's 600MHz. I know that Dish has only 5x5Mhz nationwide but they have some choice holdings in some critical cities (NYC). 

No, T-mobile wants the 2.5GHz spectrum for 5G. But they could trade the 700+800MHz to Dish for Dish's 600MHz. I know that Dish has only 5x5Mhz nationwide but they have some choice holdings in some critical cities (NYC). 
Yeah TMobile needs more the 600 though as well. I could definitely tell you here they definitely need to really ramped up capacity not just the overall consistency of coverage but capacity really isnt adequate for some parts of the day. I just ran a speed test not too long ago and it's about half an hour ago and their test was bad their upload was higher than their download. Here's a good example.6b7f9a3a81c617a0ceab81e9affcf51f.jpg

3 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

I don't see how they can swap spectrum in my area. Sprint is 10x10 A block and 5x5 G block while TMO already has a contiguous 20x20

The swap doesn't affect your area so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The swap doesn't affect your area so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
So in other words that article is miss leading and getting people's hopes up. The article that I posted made it look like they were going to use each other's spectrum.

Well this has nothing to do with the reciprocal $533M spectrum leads then. Just your green variety spectrum swap. I know that I might be harping on this too much but is there some thought of simplifying their spectrum holding at some point after the merger?Let's see, they will have holdings in the 600MHz, 700MHz, 800MHz, AWS-1, AWS-3, PCS+G, and 2.5GHz bands + CBRS next year. Lot of antennas on the combined sites. I'd be horse trading like crazy.
Your saying the pcs swaps doesn't have anything to do with the 533M thing?

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

So in other words that article is miss leading and getting people's hopes up. The article that I posted made it look like they were going to use each other's spectrum.

1) How so? 2) No it did not.

Your saying the pcs swaps doesn't have anything to do with the 533M thing?

What happened was T-Mobile and Sprint inked a spectrum swap and subsequent leasing deal for each others spectrum that is valued at XXX amount of dollars. Spectrum is expensive and particular usable midband spectrum so the cost was highlighted. 

When a spectrum swap occurs the companies don't immediately hand over the spectrum. What occurs is the entities most of the time will do the formal swap on paper but immediately lease the spectrum back to each other for a specific period of time where they will coordinate a proper handover when both sides are ready. 

In this case Sprint and T-mobile likely both have LTE carriers on said spectrum and thus at a certain point and time in the future they both will coordinate a swap over to the spectrum they swapped. This is primarily to prevent their respectives sites from causing interference to each other. 

• Like 3

Are you reading the same article I am? None of what you are saying is in the article. I think you are bringing in personal speculation or that of others that you have been reading. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

1) How so? 2) No it did not.

8 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

What happened was T-Mobile and Sprint inked a spectrum swap and subsequent leasing deal for each others spectrum that is valued at XXX amount of dollars. Spectrum is expensive and particular usable midband spectrum so the cost was highlighted. 

When a spectrum swap occurs the companies don't immediately hand over the spectrum. What occurs is the entities most of the time will do the formal swap on paper but immediately lease the spectrum back to each other for a specific period of time where they will coordinate a proper handover when both sides are ready. 

In this case Sprint and T-mobile likely both have LTE carriers on said spectrum and thus at a certain point and time in the future they both will coordinate a swap over to the spectrum they swapped. This is primarily to prevent their respectives sites from causing interference to each other. 

7 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Are you reading the same article I am? None of what you are saying is in the article. I think you are bringing in personal speculation or that of others that you have been reading. 

No staff collusion.

665.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I love the idea of swapping the 700+800 mhz spectrum for dish's 600 mhz holdings. It would really consolidate tmobiles low band portfolio and also create wider channels of 20x20 nationwide.

I want Tmobile to keep all of the 2.5 ghz spectrum for 5G. Any sub 6 ghz spectrum that tmobile can use for 5G should be preserved.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lilotimz said:

The spectrum getting swapped is not worth $533M to lease. Something else is going on with the leases.

• Like 2

It also does not say anything about PCS swaps. Not sure why your are always so rude