Jump to content

Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL User Thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, crazy_vag said:

I guess I haven't run into a case where SMS/MMS doesn't work over WiFi.  Are you saying that if I try to send SMS over WiFi while recipients phone is powered off, my phone will try to switch to 1xRTT and send message over cellular?  

enable airplane mode, then turn on wifi (confirming LTE is still disabled), then send a message (text).

report back...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just successfully switched my Pixel 3 XL to use the eSIM on Sprint. Works out of the box now. Since I already had this phone on the line, I had to swap to another phone and then swap back with the e

In order to accomplish this, you need to be rooted and have Magisk Manager installed. In Magisk Manager, go to Downloads and search for VoEnabler. Install VoEnabler and reboot the phone. VoLTE should

Cough    >> https://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7833-the-s4gru-byod-sim-compatibility-chart/

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ingenium said:

No, I'm saying that in that case it won't send it as an RCS message, and instead will fall back to SMS/MMS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

I think we're talking about slightly two different things.  My point is that as a user, I can get all my text, group texts and photo messages over WiFi on Pixel 3 - something that supposedly is not possible on Pixel 2 for reasons as yet unknown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, though said:

enable airplane mode, then turn on wifi (confirming LTE is still disabled), then send a message (text).

report back...

Message went through and got so did a response to one number I tested that was on Google Fi.  Google Fi doesn't have the "Use data" option in the SMS app,  BTW.  

Any other test requests?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazy_vag said:

Message went through and got so did a response to one number I tested that was on Google Fi.  Google Fi doesn't have the "Use data" option in the SMS app,  BTW.  

Any other test requests?

Did you send to a Verizon or T-Mob customer? Sprint to Sprint is gonna work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazy_vag said:

Sent to Nexus 6P on Google Fi.

it's possible that Fi has enabled it, although not haven't heard as such. send to a t-mob or verizon customer. check your PM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 8:15 PM, Swordfish said:

Voicemail isn't working. If you use the native Android and leave a voicemail, I noticed there is not a symbol in the status bar. Anyone having this issue ?

Yes. This also happens to me.  It seems that quite a few are having this issue in which there is no notification (native to Pixel Phone Dialer app) that you have voice mail pending.  A work around is to install the sprint visual voicemail app.  At least that way I get voicemail notifications when someone leaves a VM.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, two issues I've noticed. 

 

First, wifi calling enabled with Google Voice for voicemail doesn't work. More specifically it looks like the conditional forwarding doesn't work... When people call they either go nowhere or to the voicemail from Sprint. 

 

Secondly, with wifi calling I seem to be having intermittent sms issues while on a phone call. More often than not it says text failed and refuses to send until I hang up the phone call. 

 

Anyone else having these issues? I'm thinking I'm going to have to switch to Sprint VVM and keep Wi-Fi calling enabled... Blech. 

Thanks 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oakley707 said:

First, wifi calling enabled with Google Voice for voicemail doesn't work. More specifically it looks like the conditional forwarding doesn't work... When people call they either go nowhere or to the voicemail from Sprint. 

Anyone else having these issues? I'm thinking I'm going to have to switch to Sprint VVM and keep Wi-Fi calling enabled... Blech.

Yep, same here.. gave up on Google Voice voicemail and switched back to Sprint. It appears you can have Wi-Fi Calling or GV voicemail, but not both. Annoying.

Sprint Visual Voicemail app is on Google Play for most devices.. works ok on my Pixel 3 with some minor nuisances. Notifications work but don't include contact name if you have it saved.. no transcription unless you subscribe for a monthly fee, and if you don't, the banner begging you to subscribe remains displayed in the app.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sprint.vvm

-Mike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 10:00 PM, Oakley707 said:

First, wifi calling enabled with Google Voice for voicemail doesn't work. More specifically it looks like the conditional forwarding doesn't work... When people call they either go nowhere or to the voicemail from Sprint.

ive been dealing with this for the last month or so and it has driven me mad.  This all stopped working around Nov 1st.  I had google handling my voicemail for years.  Ive had it set up on the Essential phone for the last year and Nov 1st it stopped working.  I noticed the same about the wifi calling thing.  I really do not understand why it broke all of a sudden.  I *think* call forwarding is working because a google error comes up about unable to complete your call.

If I had to guess, some one deep in the bowels of sprint made a config change on something and has no idea what he broke.

I begrudgingly went back to the sprint voicemail service but that also has problems that I have been unable to figure out.  It seems like if i am roaming the caller does not get sent to voicemail, they get sent to dead air or a call cannot be completed message however i get notification of a voicemail and all i get is the dead air.

Naturally, the sprint visual voicemail app is not available for the essential phone in the play store.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swintec said:

ive been dealing with this for the last month or so and it has driven me mad.  This all stopped working around Nov 1st.  I had google handling my voicemail for years.  Ive had it set up on the Essential phone for the last year and Nov 1st it stopped working.  I noticed the same about the wifi calling thing.  I really do not understand why it broke all of a sudden.  I *think* call forwarding is working because a google error comes up about unable to complete your call.

If I had to guess, some one deep in the bowels of sprint made a config change on something and has no idea what he broke.

I begrudgingly went back to the sprint voicemail service but that also has problems that I have been unable to figure out.  It seems like if i am roaming the caller does not get sent to voicemail, they get sent to dead air or a call cannot be completed message however i get notification of a voicemail and all i get is the dead air.

Naturally, the sprint visual voicemail app is not available for the essential phone in the play store.

Blah, very annoying indeed. I'm glad to hear that more people are having the same issue. I've noticed with wifi calling enabled at least I get phone calls while roaming. Thankfully, most of the places that have terrible service for me have great Wi-Fi service, just by chance. I wonder if roaming calls in are just plain broken then on Pixel 3 XL. Oddly enough, they call out just fine. No issue at all. They even sound great when connected... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another issue that I've noticed, is that when I'm on Wifi calling I am unable to send text messages... This doesn't make any sense to me.  Per SCP, it looks like I'm connected to 1x and wifi, but when I try to send a text message it simply states "Not sent. Tap to try again."  When I tap this, it simply 'refreshes' and says the same thing.  Anyone else have the same issue?  I wonder if this is somehow MB related?  I do have a MagicBox at home.  With it being connected to 1x though, I wouldn't think I would be attached to the MB.

EDIT: The confusion continues... I think Wifi Calling is like oddly NOT being enabled or something?  I just turned on airplane mode, made a phone call.  Very clearly noticed wifi-calling everywhere and then sent a text message.  Went right thru...  Something is weird.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 5:04 AM, Oakley707 said:

Another issue that I've noticed, is that when I'm on Wifi calling I am unable to send text messages... This doesn't make any sense to me.  Per SCP, it looks like I'm connected to 1x and wifi, but when I try to send a text message it simply states "Not sent. Tap to try again."  When I tap this, it simply 'refreshes' and says the same thing.  Anyone else have the same issue?  I wonder if this is somehow MB related?  I do have a MagicBox at home.  With it being connected to 1x though, I wouldn't think I would be attached to the MB.

EDIT: The confusion continues... I think Wifi Calling is like oddly NOT being enabled or something?  I just turned on airplane mode, made a phone call.  Very clearly noticed wifi-calling everywhere and then sent a text message.  Went right thru...  Something is weird.

I have no issues with texting over wifi, the only way texting will not work over wifi is if you are getting group messages or include any multimedia items such as videos, pics or audios. Group messaging is considered MMS so it will only send/receive once service is restored. Any input is welcome. 

Loving this feature since my building is really old and service does not penetrate inside the building, its not just Sprint but the same applies to all carriers. Recently installed my old Magic Box 2 at my office and at least one side of the building has LTE and great speeds. No more 3G or no service inside the building.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, maxx880 said:

Has Sprint activated eSIM activations? I am no longer able to activate my wife's Pixel 3 XL or mine with any SIM.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
 

You not able to active on the web?

sprint.com/activate

What sim are you using?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Pixel 3XL Activated fine a few weeks ago. Although the 1x radio in the phone isn't very strong. I've seen the LTE performance be ok... Wish the 1x performed better. I will probably switch to the S10 when it comes out if a software update doesn't fix the 1x reception issue.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rocketr said:

My Pixel 3XL Activated fine a few weeks ago. Although the 1x radio in the phone isn't very strong. I've seen the LTE performance be ok... Wish the 1x performed better. I will probably switch to the S10 when it comes out if a software update doesn't fix the 1x reception issue.  

VoLTE should hit the Pixel 3 soon. So that's something.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 2:26 PM, rocketr said:

My Pixel 3XL Activated fine a few weeks ago. Although the 1x radio in the phone isn't very strong. I've seen the LTE performance be ok... Wish the 1x performed better. I will probably switch to the S10 when it comes out if a software update doesn't fix the 1x reception issue.  

I have the non-XL Pixel 3 and haven't noticed 1X issues.. in my experience, all reception is significantly improved over the original Pixel. Is there something specific going on with the XL?

-Mike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I have the non-XL Pixel 3 and haven't noticed 1X issues.. in my experience, all reception is significantly improved over the original Pixel. Is there something specific going on with the XL?

-Mike

Just getting no 1x service when my S9+ did have service in the same location. I've also noticed the 1x db levels are a lot worse on my 3 XL. I haven't tested on the 3 or OG Pixel... just Galaxy S8/S9's 

The LTE radio seems to perform really good in the Pixel though IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites
You not able to active on the web?
sprint.com/activate
What sim are you using?
We had to order the 516TQ Sim in order to activate (no one in Vegas had them in stock). Corporate Store/Customer Care/Online Portal would not allow us to use the Sims we used previously 416tq, nor would it allow us to use a new 416tq.

What's different with these SIMs?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • It kinda just blows my mind that it's been almost a year and a half since start of auction and there still isn't a band designation. Why spend almost a billion dollars (T-Mobile's $873 million plus Sprint's $114 million) if you can't even get around to working something like that out with the 3GPP? I pray there's something going on behind the scenes, but I'm not too hopeful seeing as the only other owner of the band is DISH, haha.    I really hope they do keep them. Even if they aren't immediately upgraded to 5G, they'd be a big benefit for the network in general. Plus, fiber is already run, permits are already signed, sites are already built. Hopefully the neutral-nature of the nodes makes conversion easy.  I haven't spotted any nodes broadcasting the keep PLMN, but I'm not all that surprised about that.   Agreed. There are one or two redditors (who shall not be named) who love to spread questionable info, especially when it comes to NYC. Every carrier has Manhattan blanketed with mmWave! You can get FIOS at any address! T-Mobile has mmWave on every site and it's fast! T-Mobile has the densest small-cell network! Every site has 5gb/s backhaul (or if it doesn't, it's "just about to be upgraded")! It's really weird. Subreddit used to be so much better before it blew up and a handful of great contributors left.
    • My best guess is that it's a combination of the correct equipment not being available to support all of T-Mobile's mmWave bands and n41 taking precedence over mmWave deployment nationwide. It'll be interesting to see whether T-Mobile decides to make mmWave a citywide thing like Verizon (that they'll aggregate with n41 for gigabit speeds in more places) or if they'll just deploy it in stadiums, airports, and convention centers.  When T-Mobile acquired Metro, they retained pretty much all of their DAS sites. If they retain all of Sprint's small cells, they'd have a small cell network easily rivaling Verizon and could have an extremely dense mmWave/LAA/CBRS footprint to compliment their already dense (in most places) macro network. Someone recently made a post about how T-Mobile's tests in C-band were interfering with a local satellite TV operator so it seems like T-Mobile definitely has some interest in getting C-band deployed sooner than later, even if they won't be able to use the spectrum just yet. But like you said, it'll probably be another year or so before we start seeing deployments of that. I completely missed that thread but reading over it, so many people are very confused about the mmWave situation in NYC and T-Mobile's network here as a whole. It's pretty sad how people completely disregarded OP immediately.
    • Interestingly enough, today I came across a site in Seattle where they did the same thing. Previously, Commscope FFHH-65B-R3 panels were live with quadband; now there's only 1900/2100/2500. My knee jerk reaction is that I don't like this deployment. It makes optimizing handoffs sloppy and complicated. I  shot an email to the Seattle network team asking what the logic is - let's see what they say. 
    • I remember that Textra could ask for a delivered notice. Not sure exactly how that works. Haven't used it in a long time though, Android Messages works fine for me plus get the benefit of RCS.
    • It'll definitely be interesting to see what they do, especially considering there's now a lot more money in the pipeline! Personally, I'm most excited to see what they'll be doing with the new 5G small cells - this should be an opportunity for them to get a super dense n41, LTE-LAA, mmWave, and maybe even CBRS (there is 80MHz of GAA available...) infill. Can't wait to see what they'll be doing with these. This also brings up the question of how they'll be addressing mmWave in the future - have they been holding off on upgrades due to their n41 rollout, or because they're waiting for these small cells to be available? Reminds me of how they paused their LTE-LAA macro rollout, but then began to equip their existing LTE oDAS nodes with LTE-LAA. I am curious about their plans for C-Band, but I'm kinda of the impression that it's a very low priority for them. I doubt we'll be seeing any C-Band rollout for at least another year or so, T-Mobile's spectrum isn't available for deployment until Dec 2023. All that said, their n41 rollout does leave them with a ton of capacity to work with. Makes me wonder if upgrades (besides spectrum reallocation) in NYC will be put on the backburner for a little while. Lots of non-NYC Sprint sites to convert, and I've even spotted some recent Greenfield rural buildout upstate (if you can believe that). On another note, very amusing to see the T-Mobile subreddit respond to that NYC mmWave speedtest the other day.
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...