Galaxy S10 family Discussion Thread (was rumors and news)

xdfgf

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Yup! I'll visit a few of the stores around me first tomorrow morning and if none of them have it, I'll order it and do next day delivery. 

Are you upgrading from Unlocked GS9+ to Unlocked GS10+?

Out for delivery, should have it around noon today.

Anyway, how is the screen protector that comes with it?  

Just now, themuffinman said:

Man, I can't really speak to it's durability, but it's almost imperceptible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, themuffinman said:

Can't really tell it's on there at all. I was pleased with this. I'm not a fan of screen protectors at all, but I'll let this one slide. With my polarized sunglasses, the edges of the screen get that pink/rainbowy effect, so we'll see how much that annoys me moving forward. 

• Like 2

Question for you guys: Do you

1. Let Google rebuild phone and restore app data
  2. Let Samsung rebuild phone and restore app data
  3. start completely fresh

I usually let Google do the heavy lifting and it normally does fine. However, with this rebuild, I found that none of my WiFi settings and such ported over. The Samsung backed-up items appear to be more complete and  using their "Settings" backup I now have all my bluetooth devices back, my WiFis, and even my personalized ringtones on my contacts. I think maybe I'll give Samsung the nod in the future. 

A few apps do support data sync through Google very nicely. TinyCamPro for one, which is always a bear to re-set up, was already logged into all my IP cameras without any work. Not sure if I let Samsung rebuild, they would have been set up?? 

Curious what your experiences have been. 

Screen protector is great, well done Samsung. I do have to say, this phone is a beast for rf performance, I'm at work in the basement and I haven't dropped to 3G yet, still holding onto 2-3 bars of LTE. VoLTE worked fantastic just a few minutes ago very clear.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

Question for you guys: Do you

1. Let Google rebuild phone and restore app data
  2. Let Samsung rebuild phone and restore app data
  3. start completely fresh

I usually let Google do the heavy lifting and it normally does fine. However, with this rebuild, I found that none of my WiFi settings and such ported over. The Samsung backed-up items appear to be more complete and  using their "Settings" backup I now have all my bluetooth devices back, my WiFis, and even my personalized ringtones on my contacts. I think maybe I'll give Samsung the nod in the future. 

A few apps do support data sync through Google very nicely. TinyCamPro for one, which is always a bear to re-set up, was already logged into all my IP cameras without any work. Not sure if I let Samsung rebuild, they would have been set up?? 

Curious what your experiences have been. 

I'm not in on the GS10 love, but to answer your question from a more general perspective for my part:  in most cases where it matters, the majority of the apps I use where it really matters for me tend to (nowadays at least) have their own backup/restore ability, that (in most cases) interface with cloud options like Google Drive (my preference) or Dropbox to save/restore from.  I started setting up my LG G7 last night and using that method for Nova Launcher for example worked flawlessly to insta-restore my screen setup/icon layout/app drawer/etc exactly as it is on my G5.

Texts are a big thing for me as I prefer history preservation (not everyone cares).  I know there are slew of different approaches for that, but I prefer using the SMS Backup & Restore app for those - its an incredibly robust app for what it does.  For carrying over a few apps I have that you can't find through Play/etc anymore, I use MyBackup Pro that I've had for many years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

I'm not in on the GS10 love, but to answer your question from a more general perspective for my part:  in most cases where it matters, the majority of the apps I use where it really matters for me tend to (nowadays at least) have their own backup/restore ability, that (in most cases) interface with cloud options like Google Drive (my preference) or Dropbox to save/restore from.  I started setting up my LG G7 last night and using that method for Nova Launcher for example worked flawlessly to insta-restore my screen setup/icon layout/app drawer/etc exactly as it is on my G5.

Texts are a big thing for me as I prefer history preservation (not everyone cares).  I know there are slew of different approaches for that, but I prefer using the SMS Backup & Restore app for those - its an incredibly robust app for what it does.  For carrying over a few apps I have that you can't find through Play/etc anymore, I use MyBackup Pro that I've had for many years.

Man, my Nova backup was corrupted and that pissed me off royally. I had to use an old backup from about a year ago....sucks! 

I've not had SMS/MMS backup problems using Google, always gets them back in place. I used to use 3rd party things as well, but didn't like more apps having access to my stuff than necessary. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

I used to use 3rd party things as well, but didn't like more apps having access to my stuff than necessary. 

In one sense I can understand that, but my counter to that (especially if you're relying primarily/solely on a behemoth such as Google or Samsung or Apple or (fill in your own blank here)) would be that (a.) literally no one is infallible/invincible in the age we live in, and (b.) simple logic stands to reason that the larger/more popular/more visible an entity, the larger the target on their back. 

I don't even say that as anti-Google at all either mind you - I use Chrome exclusively as my browser both PC & mobile, I use Google Drive as mentioned, I have a Gmail account, I'm Android-only (never have/never will have an i-Anything in life).   I do think though there's at least some merit to not necessarily putting all your proverbial eggs in one basket as well.  Also, most 3rd party apps I use in such fashion are fairly long-in-the-tooth/well vetted by the mobile community at large I think.

48 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Screen protector is great, well done Samsung. I do have to say, this phone is a beast for rf performance, I'm at work in the basement and I haven't dropped to 3G yet, still holding onto 2-3 bars of LTE. VoLTE worked fantastic just a few minutes ago very clear.

For me, the RF performance is about the same as the S8.

2 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Ok, the eagle landed, but did you get your S10?!

Yep, setting up now.

• Like 2

It took forever for me to get use to having the fingerprint scanner on the back.  Now every time I pick up this damn s10+ I'm feeling for the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, themuffinman said:

It took forever for me to get use to having the fingerprint scanner on the back.  Now every time I pick up this damn s10+ I'm feeling for the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone. 

RIGHT THERE with you on that one. My method out of the pocket was finger on the reader. I have to get used to it too. I'm still piecing together missing apps and icons from my Nova backup corruption......

So far, I'm loving the S10.  The fingerprint scanner isn't as fast as I thought it would be, based on videos I've seen online about it.  But not annoying.

I love the screen though.  I also like the stereo speakers.

21 minutes ago, clbowens said:

So far, I'm loving the S10.  The fingerprint scanner isn't as fast as I thought it would be, based on videos I've seen online about it.  But not annoying.

I love the screen though.  I also like the stereo speakers.

Probably already have done it but make sure you install the software update.  It is supposed to improve camera and fingerprint.  I haven't set it up yet.  Generally I don't use the lock unless I use Samsung pay or don't have my watch on (since I have that set as a trusted device)

Only issue I had was during initial setup..  The setup seemed to not realize the activation was done and stayed on screen.  Tapped cancel and continued fine.

51 minutes ago, themuffinman said:

Yeah out of habit I'm doing that as well but slowly going for the front now.

6 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

Probably already have done it but make sure you install the software update.  It is supposed to improve camera and fingerprint.  I haven't set it up yet.  Generally I don't use the lock unless I use Samsung pay or don't have my watch on (since I have that set as a trusted device)

Only issue I had was during initial setup..  The setup seemed to not realize the activation was done and stayed on screen.  Tapped cancel and continued fine.

Yes, i do have the latest update.

Yes, during my setup, the activation process took a long time, but it DID complete eventually.

Just now, BlueAngel said:

Yeah out of habit I'm doing that as well but slowly going for the front now.

Yeah, I also really miss the iris scanner, I really wish they would have kept that.

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

Never used it, didn't work well with glasses.

For me it worked flawlessly with my glasses or even if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses.  The only time it didn't work well was in direct sunlight, thats the only time I would actually use the fingerprint scanner.