iPhone XS Thread

MacinJosh

45 minutes ago, schmidtj said:

If phone is locked both sims need to be on the same carrier. This seems to preclude two Sprint or two Verizon lines on the same phone. 

Talk about a massive disadvantage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MacinJosh said:

Talk about a massive disadvantage.

The more I think about it with either restriction, namely only one CDMA per phone or both carriers must be the same on a locked phone, you won't be able to have two Sprint or two Verizon lines regardless of the phone's locked status.

Thinking out loud will VOLTE help in this situation? eg. If/when Sprint supports VOLTE will the the CDMA rules become mute?

3 minutes ago, shannonbrian said:

I'm curious about  real world rf performance.

You and me both. I hope it works better in low signal areas than my X does. And I don't live in a B41 area.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shannonbrian said:

Just what aj said about this phone in the  lab is good band 41 and terrible band 25 and 26 .

I know. It's hard to swallow that it favors Band 41 when I only have Bands 25 & 26.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 12:11 PM, MacinJosh said:

You and me both. I hope it works better in low signal areas than my X does. And I don't live in a B41 area.

I am worried as well. I have a X with a Qualcomm modem and it is great on B25 and B41 now switching to the Max with a Intel modem and weak B41 radio worries me. 

2 hours ago, ZebraDude said:

I am worried as well. I have a X with a Qualcomm modem and it is great on B25 and B41 now switching to the Max with a Intel modem and weak B41 radio worries me. 

The change in L2500 performance won’t be a big, considering the new XS supports HPUE—in fact L2500 performance may even be better on the new phones.

That being said, looking at the EIRP values of 800 MHz and 1900 MHz performance on the XS/XS Max, it looks like L800 and L1900 performance are going to take a big hit. The XS performs significantly worse on those bands than the last generation of iPhones. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:05 AM, schmidtj said:

The more I think about it with either restriction, namely only one CDMA per phone or both carriers must be the same on a locked phone, you won't be able to have two Sprint or two Verizon lines regardless of the phone's locked status.

Thinking out loud will VOLTE help in this situation? eg. If/when Sprint supports VOLTE will the the CDMA rules become mute?

Verizon now supports VoLTE devices with no CDMA including certain GSM/WCDMA/LTE iPhones. If you can set the Verizon SIM to LTE only you shouldn't have any problem. Non-CDMA phones on Verizon even get provisioned automatically to roam on ATT HSPA+ in several areas where CDMA/LTE Verizon phones don't, probably in anticipation of the CDMA network shutdown. 

5 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Has anyone looked at the new Field Test screen on the XS?

41CC8A4A-B92E-4228-B053-E90356566D90.png

Yup. Looks just like the other Intel field test screens. 

On a related note, in iOS 12, I’ve found that field test on Qualcomm phones stops working about 30 minutes after the phone is powered on. Restarting the phone fixes the problems but it consistently comes back. 

11 hours ago, MacinJosh said:

I ordered my XS Max 256GB Gold today from Best Buy. Should have it by Tuesday.

I hope you have better luck than me. I received an empty box from UPS yesterday. Someone in the logistics chain is now enjoying my Max....:(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ZebraDude said:

I hope you have better luck than me. I received an empty box from UPS yesterday. Someone in the logistics chain is now enjoying my Max....:(

Oh my! I hope you have a new one coming.

6 hours ago, ZebraDude said:

WOO HOO!

Sprint made it good. I have a new max order pending...they will send it to a hub this time! :)

• Like 2

So far I'm hearing that the reception for LTE is pretty good across all carriers. Does anyone care to share how the XS does with cdma reception compared to other devices. I'm curious since this is the first Intel modem that supports cdma. 

Has anyone on here had issues activating their XS or XS Max? I keep seeing a lot of complaints on Reddit about activation issues, not counting the lack of SIM card availability for unlocked from Apple models.

I’m about to upgrade four of our lines to iPhone XS in the next few days. The other 3 lines we have are on Android. I’ve always waited for the first batch to ship out in case there are any zero-day problems with the device, software, activation or accessories availability. This year it’s UPS delivery and activation issues. Hope everything settles down this week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacinJosh said:

Has anyone on here had issues activating their XS or XS Max? I keep seeing a lot of complaints on Reddit about activation issues, not counting the lack of SIM card availability for unlocked from Apple models.

I activated two Xs Max iPhones via Sprint’s website on Friday, both had the same problem. After the first error, I carefully checked the IMEI that Sprint’s website listed, and the last digit was missing. I manually input the IMEI and activated without problems. When I began the second activation I checked the IMEI first, and the website was again incorrect. So I manually input the IMEI and successfully activated the second phone.

• Like 3