iPhone XS Thread

MacinJosh

iOS 12.3 is now out. Installed with no issues. (Settings -> General -> Software Update)

A Carrier Settings Update is available as well: Sprint 36.3 (Settings -> General -> About)

By the way, do Carrier Settings automatically update on iOS devices or do you have to do it manually?

10 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

iOS 12.3 is now out. Installed with no issues. (Settings -> General -> Software Update)

A Carrier Settings Update is available as well: Sprint 36.3 (Settings -> General -> About)

By the way, do Carrier Settings automatically update on iOS devices or do you have to do it manually?

Carrier settings sometimes update automatically.

If you navigate to Settings>General>About and hover there for a few seconds, your phone should prompt you to update your carrier package if a new one is available.

You may receive a popup asking you to update your carrier settings out of the blue if a high priority update is issued. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Carrier settings sometimes update automatically.

If you navigate to Settings>General>About and hover there for a few seconds, your phone should prompt you to update your carrier package if a new one is available.

You may receive a popup asking you to update your carrier settings out of the blue if a high priority update is issued. 

Thanks. I always manually check for a Carrier Update after every iOS software update out of habit. I wasn't sure if the Carrier Settings would automatically update.

Curious what changes they made. Is there a way to tell?

16 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Curious what changes they made. Is there a way to tell?

Yes, in fact you can edit them and reload them onto your phone. Do you have a Mac or PC with iTunes?

3 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Yes, in fact you can edit them and reload them onto your phone. Do you have a Mac or PC with iTunes?

Yes. Mac with iTunes.

12 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Yes. Mac with iTunes.

If you update your phone through iTunes on your computer, iTunes should download the latest carrier bundle. I'm not sure exactly which folder it gets stored in on Macs as I have a PC, but you could probably figure it out if you dig around a bit. If you can't find the carrier bundle, I believe Apple maintains a website with all signed carrier bundles as well...

Once you have the bundle (which should be a .ipcc file), add a .zip extension to it. You should then be able to extract the files in the bundle. In the Payload folder, the file called carrier.plist has all of the juicy stuff you want. The best way to poke around or edit this file on a Mac is probably to use Apple's Property List Editor. 

If make changes to the bundle and want  to load the updated one onto your phone, you can do so through iTunes. Open terminal and navigate to the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. Then run the following command:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool YES

This will launch iTunes in carrier testing mode. You can now option-click (or shift-click on Windows) the Check for Update button when your phone is connected to your computer. This will allow you to pick a .ipcc file to load onto your phone. 

• Like 2

Just now, RAvirani said:

If you update your phone through iTunes on your computer, iTunes should download the latest carrier bundle. I'm not sure exactly which folder it gets stored in on Macs as I have a PC, you could probably figure it out if you dig around a bit. If you can't find the carrier bundle, I believe Apple maintains a website with all signed carrier bundles as well...

Once you have the bundle (which should be a .ipcc file), add a .zip extension to it. You should then be able to extract the files in the bundle. In the Payload folder, the file called carrier.plist has all of the juicy stuff you want. The best way to poke around or edit this file on a Mac is probably to use Apple's Property List Editor. 

If make changes to the bundle and want  to load the updated one onto your phone, you can do so through iTunes. Open terminal and navigate to the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. Then run the following command:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool YES

This will launch iTunes in carrier testing mode. You can now option-click (or shift-click on Windows) the Check for Update button when your phone is connected to your computer. This will allow you to pick a .ipcc file into your phone. 

Neat! I'll look into this. Thank you!

12.4 beta 1 has been released today. Appears to be the last release of iOS 12 before 13 comes out, and will most likely be the super-polished version of iOS 12 that the devices that are having support dropped in iOS 13 will be stuck with.

-Anthony

• Like 1