iPhone XS Thread

MacinJosh

• 2 weeks later...

Will Sprint activate any iPhone XS Max model? I have the international model which has the same bands as the US models and would like to activate it on Sprint. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone noticing the radio performance has been getting worse? I’ve been especially noticing it when roaming. My phone will drop 3g all the time. I have noticed a big change in performance in a specific area where I roam now from when I got the phone in October. I no longer pick up us cellular LTE outside like I did before and don’t ever connect to T-Mobile band 71 when I use to. Did the new prls change something?

7 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Anyone noticing the radio performance has been getting worse? I’ve been especially noticing it when roaming. My phone will drop 3g all the time. I have noticed a big change in performance in a specific area where I roam now from when I got the phone in October. I no longer pick up us cellular LTE outside like I did before and don’t ever connect to T-Mobile band 71 when I use to. Did the new prls change something?

I've had progressively better performance on my iOS devices on Sprint: iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 8, XS.

Each has been better than the last one.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/04/qualcomm-and-apple-agree-to-drop-all-litigation/

How about that.... Qualcomm's back on the menu boys!

Perhaps we'll be seeing Qualcomm chips in future iPhones again... Probably too late for the new ones coming this fall given the design cycle.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Intel. My guess is that we'll have a 5G iPhone next year... perhaps with a Qualcomm Modem?

Intel will exit 5G phone modem business, hours after Apple, Qualcomm settle

https://www.cnet.com/news/intel-will-exit-5g-modem-business-hours-after-apple-qualcomm-settle/

“"The company will continue to meet current customer commitments for its existing 4G smartphone modem product line, but does not expect to launch 5G modem products in the smartphone space, including those originally planned for launches in 2020," Intel said in a press release. Its only customer in modems is Apple.“”

Holy cow!

• Like 1

Intel will exit 5G phone modem business, hours after Apple, Qualcomm settle
https://www.cnet.com/news/intel-will-exit-5g-modem-business-hours-after-apple-qualcomm-settle/
“"The company will continue to meet current customer commitments for its existing 4G smartphone modem product line, but does not expect to launch 5G modem products in the smartphone space, including those originally planned for launches in 2020," Intel said in a press release. Its only customer in modems is Apple.“”
Holy cow!
Intel probably told them they were exiting the market, and Apple quickly settled the lawsuit with Qualcomm since they didn't have an alternative anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Intel probably told them they were exiting the market, and Apple quickly settled the lawsuit with Qualcomm since they didn't have an alternative anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Could be... or it could be the other way around: Apple told Intel it was settling with Qualcomm and then Intel got out.

I’m thinking Apple will silently acquire Intel’s Modem Business/Patents and then gestate it for years while it runs through the Qualcomm Agreement Period...

Then one day... surprise!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Has anybody had any issue with VoLTE on iPhone?  I was thinking about enabling it on my wife's iPhone.

No issues with VoLTE on my XS Max. I just don't have T-Mobile roaming in Pahrump anymore, which really annoys me a lot.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Has anybody had any issue with VoLTE on iPhone?  I was thinking about enabling it on my wife's iPhone.

Works very well for me here.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, MacinJosh said:

No issues with VoLTE on my XS Max. I just don't have T-Mobile roaming in Pahrump anymore, which really annoys me a lot.

Has something changed with the roaming agreements or prl? I never pick up us cellular LTE anymore and hardly ever get T-Mobile roaming like I did when I first got this phone.

7 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Has something changed with the roaming agreements or prl? I never pick up us cellular LTE anymore and hardly ever get T-Mobile roaming like I did when I first got this phone.

Probably the PRL. It happens. I just hope they change it back because there are a few places where I have no Sprint data service where T-Mobile data service came in handy.

9 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Does anyone still have issues with their cellular randomly disconnecting? Mine still does it and I don't know what else to do.

No, I don't think I've ever really had that issue. Maybe your phone is defective?

Does anyone still have issues with their cellular randomly disconnecting? Mine still does it and I don't know what else to do.

Both my and my sister’s iPhone XS have experienced this since we got them at launch. Poof! LTE indicator disappears, leaving just bars. Then bars disappear, leaving no indicator. After a few seconds the reverse of this sequence.

It happens often enough to be annoying, but not so annoying that we’ve called support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Both my and my sister’s iPhone XS have experienced this since we got them at launch. Poof! LTE indicator disappears, leaving just bars. Then bars disappear, leaving no indicator. After a few seconds the reverse of this sequence.

It happens often enough to be annoying, but not so annoying that we’ve called support.

I have something similar happen on my XS MAX. LTE goes away it only shows bars. I can call and text but no data until I cycle airplane mode.

4 hours ago, Manny789 said:

Mine will completely disconnect and drop to "Searching..." for a couple of seconds and then come back. It's annoying but my nearest Apple store is five hours away. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 10:48 PM, MacinJosh said:

No, I don't think I've ever really had that issue. Maybe your phone is defective?

I have to update. I was wrong. I forgot about the issue because it doesn't happen too often for me to be too worried. But my phone does randomly drop service but usually picks it right back up. It doesn't do what @Manny789, @tybo31316, or @Brad The Beast describes, mine just says Cellular Data cannot be activated, and then just cycles itself back on.

I wonder if its an issue with the radio not handing off properly from one site/sector to the next. If so, it must be an inherent flaw in the Intel modem.

• Like 1

That’s what I chalk it up to too. Like I said, it’s not often enough to be a huge problem. I upgrade every year anyway, so I view it as a temporary issue.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:24 AM, MacinJosh said:

Probably the PRL. It happens. I just hope they change it back because there are a few places where I have no Sprint data service where T-Mobile data service came in handy.

Why did they change it? Their roaming agreements are still in effect right?

5 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Why did they change it? Their roaming agreements are still in effect right?

They are still in effect. And yesterday my T-Mobile roaming was working again. And it works great too. I got 75 down and 31 up on B2 here.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:30 AM, tybo31316 said:

I have something similar happen on my XS MAX. LTE goes away it only shows bars. I can call and text but no data until I cycle airplane mode.

I see this happen too. It is known about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacinJosh said:

They are still in effect. And yesterday my T-Mobile roaming was working again. And it works great too. I got 75 down and 31 up on B2 here.

I get band 2 off T-Mobile but not band 71 anymore. As far as us cellular haven’t connected to their LTE once where I use to get it all the time now it’s us cellular 3g only.