iPhone XS Thread

MacinJosh

5 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

The phone seems to latch onto LTE and won’t let go. It will show no bars of LTE pretty often. Sometimes it’s usable sometimes it’s not. I’m rarely ever on 3g unless I turn off LTE in settings when it’s holding on to a useless signal.

My phone likes to latch onto LTE all the time too. I think it could be a good thing. Hopefully service increases soon too.

• Like 2

I've had better performance in general on my Xs over my X on AT&T... does anyone know if UL CA is supported on any frequencies other than 41?

Well, my worst dead spot is gone for data thanks to T-Mobile roaming. Now hopefully soon VoLTE will hit the Vegas market and iPhones, and I’ll be good to go. I wish I could say the same thing about my friends iPhone 6s’. They don’t have T-Mobile roaming. It’s odd.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MacinJosh said:

Well, my worst dead spot is gone for data thanks to T-Mobile roaming. Now hopefully soon VoLTE will hit the Vegas market and iPhones, and I’ll be good to go. I wish I could say the same thing about my friends iPhone 6s’. They don’t have T-Mobile roaming. It’s odd.

Does the phone show 'Sprint' as the carrier, while it is on T-Mobile LTE?
Verified by the debug menu?

The iPhone Xs/XsM are the next phones to get VoLTE I hear, NV market is to launch today (Friday) do report back how that goes.

6 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

Does the phone show 'Sprint' as the carrier, while it is on T-Mobile LTE?
Verified by the debug menu?

The iPhone Xs/XsM are the next phones to get VoLTE I hear, NV market is to launch today (Friday) do report back how that goes.

I’ll keep an eye out for the launch of VoLTE. When I’m on T-Mobile LTE, my phone shows Sprint as the carrier. Non of my data used on T-Mobile has gone on my Roaming allotment, it’s all been native according to MySprint.

1 hour ago, MacinJosh said:

When I’m on T-Mobile LTE, my phone shows Sprint as the carrier. 

Is this always or only when you have a Sprint 1x connection?

8 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

The iPhone Xs/XsM are the next phones to get VoLTE

Is there any word on the timeline for this?

I would also assume that VoLTE will launch on all VoLTE-capable iPhones at the same time since they are all capable of using the same carrier bundle...I guess we’ll see soon. 

10 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Is this always or only when you have a Sprint 1x connection?

Is there any word on the timeline for this?

I would also assume that VoLTE will launch on all VoLTE-capable iPhones at the same time since they are all capable of using the same carrier bundle...I guess we’ll see soon. 

I haven’t seen Extended in my phone for days. When I was going to Vegas yesterday I didn’t pay attention to my phone in the roaming area of the road to see if I was on T-Mobile LTE and Verizon 1x. I’ll have to keep checking. Of course, without CDMA engineering screens on the XS Max, it sure makes it harder to see.

3 minutes ago, MacinJosh said:

I haven’t seen Extended in my phone for days. When I was going to Vegas yesterday I didn’t pay attention to my phone in the roaming area of the road to see if I was on T-Mobile LTE and Verizon 1x. I’ll have to keep checking. Of course, without CDMA engineering screens on the XS Max, it sure makes it harder to see.

You should receive Verizon error messages if you place a bad call over their network...this may be the best way to verify if you’re connected to their CDMA network for voice. 

Just now, RAvirani said:

You should receive Verizon error messages if you place a bad call over their network...this may be the best way to verify if you’re connected to their CDMA network for voice. 

True. I’ll have to give it a try next time I go to Vegas.

Well I made my first trip up to our property in the middle of nowhere with my XS. Once I started roaming I noticed I’m on T-Mobiles band 71 most of the way and band 2 a little. It seems to hold band 26 about to the same point or maybe a little further than my old 6s. Switching to roaming is way more seamless with this phone compared to the 6s. The 6s would always get stuck on extended 1x a lot which was really annoying and unusable. The XS stayed connected to some sort of LTE the whole trip which would have never happened with the old phone. My old 6s never would roam on T-Mobile so that made a big difference plus the band 71. Normally with my 6s my phone would roam on us cellular the whole way which the XS stayed on T-Mobile until right when we get to our property then connected to us cellulars band 12. Overall the XS is a big difference in my experience here between the T-Mobile roaming+ band 71 and it not dropping to 1x every five minutes like my 6s use to. This XS will refuse to lose an LTE signal in my experience so far. I’m really starting to love this phone!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

Have  you done any speedtests while roaming?

Yeah I did a few on T-Mobiles LTE while roaming. When I had the best signal strength on band 71 I got 50 down 5 up. Average was around 20 down 3-4 up. Us cellular roaming  is a lot slower.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Anywhere from 90-150ms. It does seem like I get higher ping times on this XS in general which is annoying.

I get 40 to 50 mS ping times when using OpenSignal's speedtest app, when not roaming.

90-150 mS when roaming is bad, if the signal is good.

9 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

I get 40 to 50 mS ping times when using OpenSignal's speedtest app, when not roaming.

90-150 mS when roaming is bad, if the signal is good.

Ya I know it’s bad. My ping times have been higher than normal since I got this phone. 

So I’ll share my experience with the iPhone Xs that I bought unlocked from apple. I came from a carrier unlocked s9 plus, my carrier is sprint. So testing this iPhone that I bought on 10-12 in weak spots for sprint. It does just as well as my s9 if not better. Places where my s9 was roaming on Verizon 1x my iPhone would still have a sprint native 1x signal that I was able to complete a call over. As far as lte it held onto lte longer then the s9 did in the same spots before dropping the connection for 1x. The area I tested has no T-Mobile coverage at all so I know it wasn’t roaming onto them. Speeds on lte have also been faster then my wife’s lg q7 on the same carrier, band and server when testing. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 12:15 PM, MacinJosh said:

assuming that your friends iPhone is on Sprint I believe the answer is the home labeled T-Mobile "Roaming" you are experiencing is the newer bands and I bet the friends iPhone 6(s)? does have access to those bands in their radio...

47 minutes ago, ZebraDude said:

assuming that your friends iPhone is on Sprint I believe the answer is the home labeled T-Mobile "Roaming" you are experiencing is the newer bands and I bet the friends iPhone 6(s)? does have access to those bands in their radio...

The 6S does support LTE Bands 2 & 4, which is what T-Mobile is using here.

Just now, ZebraDude said:

Darn!,

Could the carrier bundle be out of date with the 6S?

No, same carrier bundle as my XS Max. But of course, with carrier bundles, they can still disable certain bands for certain devices. Maybe once iOS 12.1 drops it’ll enable it. I sure enjoy the expanded data service.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MacinJosh said:

No, same carrier bundle as my XS Max. But of course, with carrier bundles, they can still disable certain bands for certain devices. Maybe once iOS 12.1 drops it’ll enable it. I sure enjoy the expanded data service.

My old 6s wouldn’t roam on T-Mobile either. Neither will my parents iPhone 6.